Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Returning after half a decade.

If my not visiting the forum for 5 years has offended or angered anyone, I apologize. Hopefully there is some serious tech talk to be found...... Up front, I'm just too old to be interested in how many balloons a pointer can pop or how many matches one can light.. The physics and electronics are more my interest. That being said.... Hope everyone reading this is doing fine and happily lasing safely. :)

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome back. photonaholic.
There are plenty of individuals here capable of talking about more than popping balloons and lighting matches so you'll be fine. ;)

If my not visiting the forum for 5 years has offended or angered anyone, I apologize.

I am both offended and enraged!
Welcome back. I don't remember you but your signature rings a bell.

You will find that balloon-popping and match-lighting has gone out of style. We've moved on to searing our remaining good eye with some really serious equipment.
And there is still some science talk to be found.
I'll see you around...

I'd welcome you back-but that would be presumptuous of me after 3 months. I do like the science of how lasers work and their uses.
I imagine there are numerous new diode and DPSS lasers around in the last 5 years. I'm looking forward to a portable 577 nm at some point.

I've yet to pop a balloon-or cut electrical tape-but I did light some matches-and have been writing on scraps of wood.
RA_pierce: :) "We've moved on to searing our remaining good eye with some really serious equipment."

I promise not to explode any brains with such things as "are photons a particle, or an EM wave"? or "How can a particle have charge and spin but no mass"? :p ....... Watch the video... They use lasers to demonstrate how we detected gravitational waves...

Nice shout out for the LIGO observatory. We have one here in Washington state in Richmond. It was very interesting that the gravitational waves were confirmed two years ago. I have had occasions to make Michelson interferometers when testing the stability of optical tables for making holograms.