Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Responsibility-help-trust

Heyy guys
I am getting my first 5mw greenie "soon" and im using it to show my parents I'm responsible enough to handle lasers which they think is crazy:D. Even though they believe i can have "one" they don't want me to have a collection. I have showed them that i will use my own money, and i have gone over soooo many laws, restrictions, and rules about lasers with them. I really want to know how to make them trust me...HELP:cryyy:

Morgan

Time is the best way!

You'll just have to be patient and show you can use your first one correctly and responsibly.

Try some of the more sciencey experiments on the site and show them your results. Try building one would be a good start. Nothing like seeing little johnnie create something he's proud of!

Are you getting some goggles? Get two pairs so you can involve your parents when you have something to show them and impart your knowledge.

I'm not a parent myself but those that are may have some other insights.

M
:)

i agree with morgan... and one sciency experiment that is pretty cheap and easy is a 2 or 3 motor spirograph. you mount your motros and mirrors and make your own little control board.

michael

Time is the best way!

You'll just have to be patient and show you can use your first one correctly and responsibly.

Try some of the more sciencey experiments on the site and show them your results. Try building one would be a good start. Nothing like seeing little johnnie create something he's proud of!

Are you getting some goggles? Get two pairs so you can involve your parents when you have something to show them and impart your knowledge.

I'm not a parent myself but those that are may have some other insights.

M
:)

I'm a parent, and couldn't have put it any better.....well said :beer:

@chipdouglas...good example for first project :yh:

Yes, the more you make it a hobby the less it will be just "toys" to your parents.

Do you live in the U.S.?

You can get electronic multi-meters insanely cheap when they go on sale at Harbor Freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-90899.html You can scavenge wires, motors, even mirrors and optics from dead old laser printers and PC's. (not to mention diodes from DVD burners & Blu-Ray players)

Individual components like LED's, photocells, resistors etc. are very cheap. Just pennies each.

The more it looks like a lab-bench the less trouble they'll give you, because you won't seem like you want to walk around with a pointer and just get in trouble.

Last edited:

Toke

The more it looks like a lab-bench the less trouble they'll give you, because you won't seem like you want to walk around with a pointer and just get in trouble.
Exactly.
Emphasise the electronics hobby part of it.

^^^Emphasize the educational side. Do your READING on safety, and show them what you've learned, and then show them how safety glasses really do work!

Reactions: mfo
I'm 17 and said I'm buying a 50 mW and they said "Okay". I did the same with the 150 mW and they said "Okay". I did the same with my 850 mW and they said "Okay". I have gone over safety stuff with them and they said "Okay". Lol.

:thanks:thanks guys ill do that but they still ming think im gonna make a bomb lol jk:crackup:

May I ask how old you are? The reason I ask is that by the time I was a teenager my parents had a pretty good handle on how responsible my brother and I were. I wasn't into lasers at that point. I started keeping spiders that took a little more care in handling safely. I parents trusted my ability because I showed that to them every day.

My point is that if you show them you are responsible with everything, even day to day things, they might be more willing to trust you with this. Good luck.

I am speaking hypothetically of course... I have no idea what your individual situation is.

OK, here's the deal. Think of how a 12 year old would handle such a pointer, and then do no such thing. Think of yourself as a professional handling a 22 caliber rifle, or a BB gun at least! Youngsters haven't received the best reputation when it comes to using pointers, so you use your head, and you'll be just fine!

By the time you have this mastered, you will prove to your parents and your friends that handling pointers can be done both safety, while at the same time with having fun!

You'll be blown away by the brightness,post here if you're parents decide to let you get one.

-Tyler

awlego

I also recommend building rather than buying lasers to help convince your parents.
1) Easier to say, "I can handle these" when you built them yourself
2) It's waaayyyy cooler to build your own.
3) It's extremely satisfying.