Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

RESOLVED BY COMMUNITY! - Bad experience with Bwhollen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: VERY BAD EXPERIENCE with 'bhwollen'

@Pontiacg5 ^

Actually I think you have a few things off here..

The moment you open a dispute, not even a chargeback, the sellers account is
immediately put into a negative balance of the original sale.. Should they decide
in the buyers favor, the seller must add these funds or they suspend the account.
They may also take the amount from a registered credit card, or bank account
cant remember though.

Buying outside of ebay and filing an item not as described case becomes a burden
to the buyer to prove that the item was indeed not as described. What they don't cover
which is normally covered in ebay is the quantity of items. Example, you buy 30 items
and only receive 5, you are not protected unless it was an ebay sale.

Item not as described is the proper way to address this issue, its just a pain to
prove depending on the nature of the product.

In this case, the seller could simply state that the item was damaged in transit
and pawn off responsibility onto the postal carrier, or the fact that the buyer
admitted to 'tampering' by opening it.

@OP

It doesn't hurt to contact paypal and ask their customer service what they recommend.
Just do it before you no longer have the option to open a dispute... They can give
you the best advice over guessing. It never hurts to ask.

Personally I do not honor warranty if the unit has been tampered with, but I also
seal my lasers as not to make it so easy for them to be opened. Not sealing the
laser is an open invitation to the buyer to 'tinker' with it. In this case the
seller should bite his tongue and fix the problem, or as its been suggested cover
half the cost of parts.

I had sold a laser to a guy locally who was also a member here.. I left the unit
unsealed and when he opened it and twisted the leads off the LD, I didn't charge
him anything other than post for the repair. It was my fault for not sealing it in
the first place.

I understand that paypal will lock the account and suspend the total value of the disputed cost which may make the account negative. What I am saying is that paypal will not automatically take money from a linked bank or credit card account to right a negative balance. They send you countless e-mails telling you your account is negative and that you need to add money and eventually they will turn the account over to collections. I can show you the e-mails and collections letters if you don't believe me.

If the transaction was done outside of e-bay and the claim is decided in the buyer's favor paypal will not give the buyer anything until the seller adds enough funds to his account to cover the refund. This is why e-bay/paypal lock money for something like 21 days for new ebay seller accounts, that way the money is there to refund if there is a problem.

Also, your views on the "item not as described" dispute outside of e-bay is incorrect. Paypal does not offer any protection at all, if you file a case and there is already a tracking number on file it will automatically close in the sellers favor. Once again, do a quick google search and read the countless results that confirm what I am saying is true.

If you file as item not as described and Bhwollen provides a tracking number your claim will be closed.

This is all very good information at least something good is coming of this ;)

That is a complete lie.

I believe BH lives at home since his mother called me when he
wanted to order a LaserBee 2.5W USB..

So I would think his mother (since he's only 16) can bail him out
until he pays his mother back.

@ upperlevel
At this point you have 2 options...

1) send it to a reputable Member to have it repaired properly
and pay the repairs.

2) open an "Item received not as described" Dispute and Claim
for the Laser.

a) If PayPal rules in your favor... PatPal will ask you to send back
the Laser to bwollen at your expense TRACKED and SIGNED FOR.
Once it is shown/proved received by bwollen PayPal will refund the
original amount including the original Shipping costs.
Then you can take your money and buy from a more reputable seller
on the Forum.

b) If PayPal rules in favor of the Seller.... Go to choice #1 above..

3) use rhd's suggestion... but get a replacement Laser from BW first.

Jerry

I think there are more important questions you need to answer than that one...

Like...?

I have already stated where I stand. All of my previous offers still stand on what he would like to do.
I think there are more important questions you need to answer than that one...

Like...?

I have already stated where I stand. All of my previous offers still stand on what he would like to do.

I think what he would like is to have a working laser.

The stance that you offer no warranty... well it's yours to take but it has long term repercussions:undecided:

Looking at Bhwollen's answers and how much of a hassle this has been and If I had to buy a laser , it would NOT be from him.

... he should also change his sig. it makes him look like he can easily fix or make lasers correctly from the get go.

Last edited:

Kevlar

That is a complete lie.

Which part of lasersbee's statement is a lie?

The part where he said, "I believe BH lives at home" or the part where he said, "his mother called me when he wanted to order a Laserbee 2.5W USB.."?

Sounds like you do pretty shoddy work. Why don't you just man up and fix it. Stand by your builds.

I'd like to point out that paypal will more than likely immediately close your claim in Bhwollen's favor if you file under the "Item not received as described" reason. There is no purchase protection if you use paypal outside of e-bay, all they care about is a tracking number showing as delivered.

This is why I laugh every single time someone says "I used paypal to be protected!" The seller can send you a box of rocks and paypal will do nothing to help you. If you don't believe me do a google search, "paypal protection outside of e-bay" and read through the hundreds of pages of results.

Also, if you somehow get paypal to rule in your favor they will not give you anything untill they recover the total cost from Bhwollen. (Outside of e-bay of course.) If his account is empty then you are out of luck. Paypal will not automatically transfer funds from his CC/bank account, he has to do it (fat chance?)

Your best bet would be a chargeback from a credit or debit card you paid for the laser with through paypal. If you paid with a paypal balance you are probably SOL.

I don't know if someone already told you this, but the dispute is always based on the seller having money in their account.
Also, I have no clue as to why bwhollen won't be part of one of the suggested reasonable solutions. You can see, though, why I don't trust him with it, especially if I am paying for it.

Last edited:

I don't know if someone already told you this, but the dispute is always based on the seller having money in their account.
Also, I have no clue as to why bwhollen won't be part of one of the suggested reasonable solutions. You can see, though, why I don't trust him with it, especially if I am paying for it.

If he wants to make it right and sell anything else on here , you may need to use a middleman.

He sends a replacement from his collection to the middleman , you also send the broken one to the middleman. And that's it.

I wouldn't trust sending it back to him at this point, that's just me.

You may not get it back or it will take a very long time. Remember he's broke.

If he wants to make it right and sell anything else on here , you may need to use a middleman.

He sends a replacement from his collection to the middleman , you also send the broken one to the middleman. And that's it.

I wouldn't trust sending it back to him at this point, that's just me.

You may not get it back or it will take a very long time. Remember he's broke.

I'd be happy with that. He refuses to do this deal though, he just wants me to pay to send it to him, pay to have it fixed, and pay to have it sent back as if he was a reputable member skilled in repair and quality and as if he wasn't involved in selling the dead laser to me at all.

Now he's saying a respected member would tell a lie about him why would any one need to lie there's enough dope with out making up stuff, what next :wtf:
why would Jerry need to lie about this :thinking:

That is a complete lie.

I would return the laser to him and file a paypal dispute. When they deny your claim I would file for a chargeback at your bank or with your CC company. If you have a tracking number proving you returned the item your chances of them deciding in your favor are a lot better. Paypal will lock your account if you do this though, so make sure you have no money in your account.

I wouldn't even want to send the thing back to him for "repair." He obviously doesn't have very high standards when it comes to quality, so whatever you get back (if anything) probably wouldn't last either. Besides, if he is going to charge to fix it you would be 100% better off sending it to someone who can actually build lasers not just cobble them together to be "good enough."

His poor attitude makes it very clear that he has no interest in making this right. Trying to change his mind isn't going to work apparently.

Last edited:

I would return the laser to him and file a paypal dispute. When they deny your claim I would file for a chargeback at your bank or with your CC company. If you have a tracking number proving you returned the item your chances of them deciding in your favor are a lot better. Paypal will lock your account if you do this though, so make sure you have no money in your account.

I wouldn't even want to send the thing back to him for "repair." He obviously doesn't have very high standards when it comes to quality, so whatever you get back (if anything) probably wouldn't last either. Besides, if he is going to charge to fix it you would be 100% better off sending it to someone who can actually build lasers not just cobble them together to be "good enough."

His poor attitude makes it very clear that he has no interest in making this right. Trying to change his mind isn't going to work apparently.

Filing a paypal dispute won't help anybody but paypal at this point unfortunately. For reasons I would rather not discuss, my paypal account has a large negative balance right now (happened about a week after sending money to bh). Also I sent the payment in two payments as I wanted the laser but I didn't get payed until a couple of days later, I can imagine that would be a hassle.

I would rather just try to get it working, possibly get it dialed down a bit so the diode lasts longer, and let bwhollen enjoy his cash or whatever he purchased with it.
If bwhollen would refund my money to a different account I'd be very happy after sending the laser back. Him refunding the funds willingly is a BLATANT impossibility though.

I would rather just try to get it working, possibly get it dialed down a bit so the diode lasts longer, and let bwhollen enjoy his cash or whatever he purchased with it.

Good, now forget about Ben... he f**ked up... end of story.

PM Daguin, Jeff, or any other of half a dozen vets that have been following this thread. You might have to pay for new ld and new driver, shipping, but that's it. After that you will have a great working laser.

Honestly, having a 1.1W+ laser does not seem to add any issues to LD lifespan imho... so that's not a concern.

For 99.90% of situations though ~300mW of 445nm is more than enough. I find myself using a ~350mW 445nm more than anything else, and I use laser a lot:eek:

Last edited:

I believe BH lives at home since his mother called me when he
wanted to order a LaserBee 2.5W USB..
So I would think his mother (since he's only 16) can bail him out
until he pays his mother back.

I need to apologize to bwollen and clarify this... It was not
bwollen's mom I spoke to...:yabbem:

After checking my records of last April when bwollen bought
his LaserBee 2.5W USB it was another member's Mom that
called us from Florida that same week..

I still stand behind everything else I've posted...:cool: