Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

replacing the DX 5mW

TEMA

Hi guys!

Few days ago I sold my DX 5mW because I want to buy some higher quality laser. The output power must be equal, or a little bit more. So far my problem is simple, but my DX seemed to have more power, than 5 mW. I could see the beam at night in city. Is it normal for 5mW green lasers?
My requirements for the new laser are:

- pointing to stars in city at night
- spot visible on surface at daylight

Hey Tema and welcome to the forums.

to answer your question, 5mW is pretty much the lowest output on a green laser, so if you want a higher output go with a 30 or greater, o like sells great modules if you want to build your own.

Here is a link to the modules, http://www.o-like.com/b2b_cplist.asp?catid=375

If you would like to buy another pointer then look here, http://www.o-like.com/b2b_cplist.asp?catid=447

O-Like (Suzie), is a great seller to buy from, great prices and quality, she is in china like dealextreme so expect the wait. ;D

For you may i suggest this 50mW pointer to remedy your needs ;) http://www.o-like.com/b2b_cpinfo.asp?id=908 or this one if you want about 10mW cheaper too, http://www.o-like.com/b2b_cpinfo.asp?id=918

I would suggest a www.LEDshoppe.com 30mW pointer. They are really cheap. Also, I think that 50mW is unsafe to have without goggles, as a flash with that and you could take permanent eye damage; it's less likely with 30mW. Just my opinion.

-Mark

TEMA

This is my previous laser.
youtube.com/watch?v=QN4JFaV9Dfo

15 or 25 mW wouldn't be enough? Nova X15 or X25. I don't want too powerful laser.

Yeah, that would be plenty bright, i have not bought from ledshope so i am not sure there are reviews on here that say they are good bang for the buck deals so they are a option. Now i don't know about 50mW being PERMANENT eye damage.... I have had a 50mW greenie shine in my eyes....it hurt then went away, i see fine. It was not a reflection, my stupid idiot buddy accidentally shined it in my eye... long story. Still, you want to be careful, you only have 1 pair of eyes. ;D

TEMA

So I have just received my Nova X25. Great output power, even better power stability (32mW average, 33mW peak), but it seems to be a little bit dimmer, than my previous DX 5mW. :) No matter, the brigthness is still enough, the build quality of the laser is much better, and the customer service is excellent. But the problem is the divergence, at great distances the dot is too big. I have bought this laser for pointing far objects, but with divergence 1.8 mRad (measured) it is rather difficult. I have contacted the company, because the maximum value for the divergence is 1,2mRad according to the website.

...Waiting for the reply. :)

TEMA said:
So I have just received my Nova X25. Great output power, even better power stability (32mW average, 33mW peak), but it seems to be a little bit dimmer, than my previous DX 5mW. :) No matter, the brigthness is still enough, the build quality of the laser is much better, and the customer service is excellent. But the problem is the divergence, at great distances the dot is too big. I have bought this laser for pointing far objects, but with divergence 1.8 mRad (measured) it is rather difficult. I have contacted the company, because the maximum value for the divergence is 1,2mRad according to the website.

...Waiting for the reply. :)

The divergence was better on your DX laser? :eek:

TEMA

Yes, we have also measured the divergence on the DX, and it was ~0,6 mRad. However, the beams are different, the beam coming out from the DX is >2mm wide, at the Nova is <1mm. Maybe it is due to the narrow beam of the Nova, (narrow beam and good divergence doesn't exist simultaneously), but if the factory value is max. 1,2 mRad, then I would expect something better, than 1,8 mRad.

TEMA

2 days ago I tested the divergence again, and the dot was relatively small at 800 meters. The dot on the object (white chimney) was approx. 1 meters wide, rather less, than 1m. Measured with eye at 800m distance, so the dot was smaller, probably. I don't know what happened to my laser, but the divergence is now OK.

Too late, I have decided to send it back and buy the X75 as my ultimate super-far-thrower laser. This would be my third laser from Nova. :) The first, the X15 was sent back immediately by the postal carrier due to incomplete mailing address - it was Nova's fault. After the 20 dollar upgrade the X25 was sent at Nova's cost. Then the divergence problems. And now, the X25 will be replaced by the X75. Magdalena at sales department probably "loves" me... I think, I'm one of the most problematic customers of Nova. ;D Nevertheless I must say, the customer service is outstanding.

TEMA said:
2 days ago I tested the divergence again, and the dot was relatively small at 800 meters. The dot on the object (white chimney) was approx. 1 meters wide, rather less, than 1m. Measured with eye at 800m distance, so the dot was smaller, probably. I don't know what happened to my laser, but the divergence is now OK.

Too late, I have decided to send it back and buy the X75 as my ultimate super-far-thrower laser. This would be my third laser from Nova. :) The first, the X15 was sent back immediately by the postal carrier due to incomplete mailing address - it was Nova's fault. After the 20 dollar upgrade the X25 was sent at Nova's cost. Then the divergence problems. And now, the X25 will be replaced by the X75. Magdalena at sales department probably "loves" me... I think, I'm one of the most problematic customers of Nova. ;D Nevertheless I must say, the customer service is outstanding.

I agree. I ordered a line-generating lens from them once (cheapest shipping is $10). But when I opened it, it was the "round line generator", which doesn't make as good of a line. I sent a picture of the order and a screenshot of the reciept, and they immediatly sent the right one for free, with the best shipping. :D

TEMA

This week I received the X75. Finally, the DX "5mW" is beaten. Average power 97.6mW, peak 110.4. The divergence is still not the best, the dot size is ridiculously big compared to the DX dot size, but the brigthness is roughly the same, thanks to the X75's raw power. And yes, this laser can burn. I newer knew that burning is so funny, but after I melted a small hole on a thick thrashbag, and a wonderful diffraction appeared on the wall, I understood everything.

Last night the laser was in my bag, and accidentally the button was pushed, because when I took out it from the bag, the batteries were dead. The diode fried about a hour or more in the laser. And this is nothing, after that I suddenly dropped the laser, and the end of the tube, where the batteries are loaded was indented. I fixed it, but the warranty might be over. Luckily after these adventures the laser is still working, but probably the lifetime of the laser after the one hour frying is significantly reduced. :(

You should really try the www.ledshoppe.com 50mw. it is 25 bucks. it works in all kinds of weather, even freezing. the beam is ridiculous. the onle negative is that there isn't an IR filter. But you can pick up a good inexpensive one from nova laser.

aahhah tema.... the 75mw that you have is veruy good.... PEAK110!!! wow. but.... you have a lot of problems with laser..... ahah change hobby :p

I wouldn't worry too much about the accidental discharge, I've had that happen a couple of times with 100-130mW greens and never had one suffer for it, just me PO'd over having to buy more batteries...

Eku

Last night the laser was in my bag, and accidentally the button was pushed, because when I took out it from the bag, the batteries were dead. The diode fried about a hour or more in the laser. And this is nothing, after that I suddenly dropped the laser, and the end of the tube, where the batteries are loaded was indented. I fixed it, but the warranty might be over. Luckily after these adventures the laser is still working, but probably the lifetime of the laser after the one hour frying is significantly reduced. :(
AHAHAHAHA thats nonthing.

I dropped a laser 7 times onto concrete and hit it onto a piece of wood lots of times?

Then it STILL worked perfectly at that and then I left it on for 10 minutes.

I was very surprised sadly one more drop then the crystals went out of place.