Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Replacement batteries worth it?

Hey guys. First post and iam a complete newb to all this. I recently purchased a blue beamed laser which takes 2 x 16340 batteries. Batteries are unbranded and although they work fine. They look like cheap crap.

Iam wondering if i upgraded / replaced the batteries would i see an improvement in brightness / power?

Or is it completely uneccesary. There are no issues with the laser currently. Iam simply wondering if it's possible to improve power / brightness by buying better quality batteries?

I would suggest that you first introduce yourself
to the Forum Members... It would also help if you
included your Global location in your Profile. :yh:

Jerry

One post, no introduction :(
I won't answer any new member's question
if they haven't introduced themselves in the
Welcome section first...

A new Rule of mine..
If they can't spend the time to introduce
them selves then I don't have the time to
respond to questions....

Jerry

I am in full agreement, I often think troll of new members if they don't search the forum first, especially if asking questions without, or a very poor introduction.

diachi

Hey guys. First post and iam a complete newb to all this. I recently purchased a blue beamed laser which takes 2 x 16340 batteries. Batteries are unbranded and although they work fine. They look like cheap crap.

Iam wondering if i upgraded / replaced the batteries would i see an improvement in brightness / power?

Or is it completely uneccesary. There are no issues with the laser currently. Iam simply wondering if it's possible to improve power / brightness by buying better quality batteries?

It's unlikely that replacement batteries would make a difference, unless there's something actually wrong with the ones you have. Even cheap batteries do fine for most of the stuff we use. As long as the batteries are at the correct voltage and are capable of providing enough current the laser will function the same. The laser diode isn't just hooked up to the batteries, it has a diode driver between them which keeps the current to the laser diode constant.

Hi Batteries,
I guess we won’t see you around to much being that you received your answer . Or do I stand corrected, where are you from and don’t say earth . Tell us a little about your self.

Rich:)

Hey guys. Sorry for not introducing myself. Iam from the South of Ireland :) Your probably right in assuming i will likely not be around much here as this is not necessarily a hobby of mine. I just found one at what i considered to be a decent price and bought it as it seemed like a cool thing to have!

Thanks to the person that answered my question too :) I figured it should not make any difference! I was just curious if it was possible to get even more power from this after seeing that it can burn stuff!

Haha

Regarding the batteries! Iam finding that the batteries only last about 3/4 minutes! Is this normal? So if i charge the batteries to full! I get 3/4 minutes of use before they need charge again. Not continous use because i generally just use it for a few seconds (maybe even a minute) at a time. but iam only getting around 5 mins max of usage before they need charge!

Hey guys. Sorry for not introducing myself. Iam from the South of Ireland :) Your probably right in assuming i will likely not be around much here as this is not necessarily a hobby of mine. I just found one at what i considered to be a decent price and bought it as it seemed like a cool thing to have!

Thanks to the person that answered my question too :) I figured it should not make any difference! I was just curious if it was possible to get even more power from this after seeing that it can burn stuff!

Please wear special eye protection laser goggles before you try shining and/or burning your laser, and read some threads regarding the safety and dangers of lasers, so you won't regret it later.

16340 batteries even the better brands only hold about 750mah at most, those cheap u have u are lucky if they even have 350 mah or so, i had a few ultrafire myself they had something like that. Good 16340 are olight,eagletac, keeppower or nitecore since they power some powerful flashlights they work aswell good for lasers.

U will not see perhaps if any much difference in power but runtimes will be ofc better.

There is also a danger running crappy batteries, u can google li-on danger etc.. its always best to invest in good brands when it comes to batteries.

since u are from EU u should buy some from nkon, they ship from netherlands bought myself for my flashlights and they provide quick delivery.

https://eu.nkon.nl/rechargeable/14500-16340-18350-18490-18500/eagletac-rcr123a.html

https://eu.nkon.nl/rechargeable/14500-16340-18350-18490-18500/keeppower-16340.html

Last edited: