Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Reparing Survival Laser Driver

bobo99

Hey Guys,

One of the leads from the driver, from the original survival laser driver, fell off. I'm trying to de-solder the driver and fix it but for whatever reason the soldering iron can't melt this solder.

Don't feel like ordering another pill and driver, any ideas on how to get at it?

20130501_160408.jpg
20130501_160414.jpg

Last edited:

Good luck. Your going to need to pop the brass ring out of the pill and solder a new lead on. Youll need to unsolder the pill and brass ring if the driver pill and ring and soldered together. Off the top of my head I cant think of an easy way to pop the ring out wiyhout damaging tge driver

If you put the pill in a vice and put light pressure on the driver with a screwdriver while desoldering it from the brass ring it will come out after you work at it. I had the exact same issue not too long ago and fixed it this way.

Last edited:

bobo99

So even though the solder isn't melting it will give enough? I guess that's my last resort, if it dies it dies!

The aluminum is sucking the heat away. You could try pre-heating it in a toaster oven or just using a bigger iron. Solder is pretty soft, so you can pry it out if you're feeling desperate, but then you still have the problem of re-attaching it to the pill.

i've used a small file to cut through the solder on aurora pills. then just pop out the contact/driver board.

Bobo;

I've repaired drivers many times.

You need a larger iron (I use a 60 watt).

Heat up both sides and pry the driver up from the larger hole in the driver.

LarryDFW