Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

removing the lens...

do *all* lasers have a ridiculously wide divergence, when the lens is removed, the raw output?

kinda like a p60 flashlight with the reflector tken out, just "all flood", no throw?

Tube lasers don't have ridiculous divergences. Diode lasers do though, and those are probably the kind you've mostly encountered.

thanks for the answer...

I'm a newb to the DIY laser field... i just found (for the second time...) someting on the web called "sam's laser FAQ" and its quite a resource for a newb like me...

he explains in fairly basic terms for people of average education and such, a lot of stuff. I found it very helpful, and, it calms a lot of my wondering what kind of laser to buy.

apparently, common laser diodes re all more or less the same "under the hood", and the raw beam shape is described as "astigmatic". when he talks about collimation with common salvaged lenses, he talks about a x-axis and y-axis having different divergences... and a overall "elliptical" or "wedge" shape.

when he says that the x axis and y axis "focus" at different focal lengths, I take this to mean in reference to making a DOT, which is what 99% of laser DIY-ers seem to be doing...

the "basic" beam pattern seems to be roughly 10 degrees by 30 degrees... I suppose i can just "waste" the wider portions of the light, after running it thri the lens... by having it go thru a circular aperture...

but, i basiclly satisfied myself that i dont SEEM to need a "certain type" of laser diode... i just pick one in my chosen wavelength, and without the lens on it, the "raw" beam patterns are seeming to be similar...

I seem to get lucky for my application, it requires 800 to 850nm wavelength illumination, and this is a "native" laser wavelength... i hadnt known about the pumping, and that IR diodes were having stuff done to the beam outputs to MAKE the other colors... i have a better basic grasp of whats going on now, i *think* anywys...

but i'm lot more comfortable buying just about *any* diode module or pointer and tking the lens of and getting what i am looking for...

the guy talks about lenses salvaged from cameras and such, so, it must be common practice to use common glass lenses, not requiring ultra special lenses.

really, i dont think i'd be attempting this w/o this site... not many places to get DIY comfortable with laser diodes informally, to sort of "fiddle" with them.

after i get my IR illuminator working, i think i might try to make a "laser flashlight" in visible too, if only for sh!ts and giggles...should be BRIGHT and long battery runs for walking in the woods, if nothign else...

do some research on multi-mode diodes vs single mode diodes. not all laser diodes end up with circular beams, this is unlikely especially for 445nm and 638nm lasers, which have rectangular-ish beams

Your posts are very difficult to read. A few words of advice if I may:

1) Proofread.
2) Cut down on quotes by 90% at least.
3) Capitalize and punctuate your sentences properly. Commas and ellipses (the three dots in succession) are not an adequate substitute for a period.
4) If you want to emphasize a word, use bold or italic font and be consistent. bold, followed by italics followed by CAPITALIZATION followed by *this* is confusing.
5) Group topics by paragraph. If your post is covering one topic, you should have one paragraph. Do not start a new paragraph every sentence or two.

Cool story bro. It's a shame that you allowed yourself to degenerate to the level of your peers.

Regardless, now that you've finally found some people who actually appreciate good communication skills, try to make your replies more readable.

Last edited:
Wow, I thought it was just him personally. Glad i didnt make the "Conan the Grammarian" joke. Anyways, i found a post about it in the welcome or whatever section, didnt realize it was a forum wide thing. This is a first, I have never been to a forum that had a grammar clause. It doesnt matter to me, much like other forums i am on or have been on? When you are searching through googling things, and find yourself reading threads form the SAME SITE over and over, after abotu 20 threads you read for good information, experience has taught me its time to join, i need the information.

There's no need for you to act so defensive. We're simply asking you to make your posts more readable. That, among other communication -- and perhaps social -- skills, would go a long way in actually encouraging people to help you out rather than ignoring your posts.

Gun

Wow, I thought it was just him personally. Glad i didnt make the "Conan the Grammarian" joke. Anyways, i found a post about it in the welcome or whatever section, didnt realize it was a forum wide thing. This is a first, I have never been to a forum that had a grammar clause. It doesnt matter to me, much like other forums i am on or have been on? When you are searching through googling things, and find yourself reading threads form the SAME SITE over and over, after abotu 20 threads you read for good information, experience has taught me its time to join, i need the information.

I'm pretty sure Cyparagon was just trying to help you out. You'll find that you'll get a lot more people reading your post and helping you out if you follow the steps that he stated.

Last edited:
guys... i (edited/deleted) the ORIGINAL sarcastic post... i went back and decided the guy wasnt being funny with me... went and looked, found a thread or two on grammer...

dont be so defensive on your end! ha ha... like i said, i dont really care. If you, for instance, all decided to only post and reply in spanish? Then if i want the information i have to post aned read answers in spanish. Its your forum; i dont care how you run it. I'm just enjoying learning about DIY laser.

i can see I am going to have to get a small-ish visible laser module, just to straight out PLAY. Play as in no work or project involved. (Saw the TOSLINK being used for flexible transmission fiber? I just cant say no to that.)

dont be so worried, i'm 44 not 14. i think i got most of the rules down...

1) grammar and spelling counts, your 8th grade grammar teacher is posting here too (check)

2) no dirty words, no obscene or off color jokes, we're all so pc here. Ten year olds are reading and posting too. (check.)

3) use the search function be-FORE you post the same question for the 127,365th time already? (check.) Thats how i found the TOSLINK seeing about making a beam expander DIY. For some as yet unknown reason, instead of a global search function, you have structured a search button individually on each forum.

4) did i miss anything?

back to the search function then.