Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Remove back of module when driver is elsewhere for better heatsinking?

If a heatsink is custom, would it be better to just use just the front of 12x30mm module with some thermal paste (and not have the 12mm diameter hole go back the full 30mm, only a small hole for the wires).

I'm thinking that the heat capacity of the larger sink (less drilled out) would be higher with the thermal paste maintaining a good transfer from the copper section. It might not be aligned straight forward as well though with the shorter length and would not be nearly as clean\easy when swapping out or removing the diode\module.

I was thinking the back of the module might facilitate transfer away from the copper diode section (the additional surface area on the threading). But I think that it couldn't be as good as transfer from the entire backside of the copper portions with thermal paste. All that solid metal in the large heatsink would have less heat transfer resistance than a thin module back portion I'd think, certainly more capacity. Again, there are a few drawbacks which I mentioned.

Thanks!

There are two kinds of the back part of the module, one adds to the heat sinking ability and the other does not, it depends on the one you have. I myself leave the back part on unless I have a small host where it doesn't fit. Hopefully DTR will comment on this, he did once before in another thread but I don't remember what thread.

Alan

Ahh yes! I received my diodes from DTR yesterday and I did notice that there were brass on two of the stronger ones and a chrome one on the 300mW 650nm. I only removed the one from the weaker one since I am going to build that one first. I now see the difference. I guess I will just use those brass heavier ones in that build. Hmm.. maybe I will fill the gap inside it with some thermal paste. I don't see why not. It seems heavier to me than Al for sure (better heat capacity\transfer probably) so probably is better to use that type of back portion and keep it as a whole, clean module than just use the front with paste on the back of it. Thx

Last edited:

DTR

Yea I would leave the thermal back halfs on for best results but if space does not allow for some reason you can remove them. As for the 650nm diode does not matter if you keep the hollow aluminum back half or not.:beer: