Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Remember to exercise those argons!

Yeah, I wouldn't be too worried. air cooled, fully sealed ion tubes generally don't care if they sit if they were properly manufactured. Usually it's the large ones that have manual gas feeds and such that weigh like 100 lbs that need babying. most little air cooled tubes don't mind too much. I've had a couple omni tubes get stubborn, but cyonics ones tend to be pretty hardy.

So it may have been a year *cough* or three :oops: *cough* since I know for sure I last fired up the argon twins. Much to my shock my rectangular head, as usual, fired on the first pulse. Guess I shouldn't be too shocked because i don't think it's ever taken more then three or four pulses to fire unlike its stubbon cylindrical sibling which I fully expect to have a flight with when I'm able to get it set up again. Hopefuly that'll be sooner than later. Probably should have done this last week when we had temps in the -20s F not counting the windchill.

I can relate. they make great heaters. I haven't fired up mine in ages. Ultimately small air cooled argons dont care how long they sit though as long as they're not leaky in my experience though. It's only large argons that have gas replenishment need running to keep the gas pressure under control.

You're right about how robust these small argon lasers are as long as they're healthy. In all the years I've had my bigger one I can count the number of times it hasn't fired on the first pulse on one hand. I do have to admit I missed how amazing that laser is at full blast putting out 120mw of multiline goodness. As soon as I find where I stashed the blower for my cylindrical head I'm going to attempt to fire it up which is sure to be a battle since it's a very high mileage tube.

Yeah, my single line argon hasn't been fired up in awhile, but I will take the time to try it soon as it is not a "high mileage" one and should fire up without any problems. I do have it in an airtight container to keep dust out of it. I did that after I realized I wouldn't be using it a lot.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
My argon hasn’t been fired up at all so I’m hoping it even works. Controllers are hard to get nowadays.

Yeah, I got lucky when I bought mine as the tube had been replaced and the controllers were included. It was ready to be used straight out of the box.

I should probably sell my regular argon....I basically never run it anymore and it should probably go to a good home

In a shock to nobody my high mileage tube did not watch to fire last night. After warming 20 minutes it finally did but the output was severely degraded. At idle it output a whole 0.4mw according to the light meter on the controller. Ramping up to my usual 5.5A then 7A for a maintenance burn only brought it up to 1.2mw and 4.4mw. At the full 10A it was only outputting 8.8mw where before it was over 40. For comparison my other head idles around that. For grins and giggles I may try to see if it can nurse it back to health a bit but today after warming for 25+ minutes it wouldn't fire at all. Sadly I think it's time to retire it for good and see if I can snag another bargain down the road.

_Wim_

Just to add another datapoint: after seeing this thread I also powered up mine, a cyonics 2201-10slsx with 15000 hours on it! (got it for free), It started immediately from the first pulse, and output powers were as follows after warming up:

at min current: 0.814 mW
at 6A: 3.81 mW
at 8A: 8.13 mW
at 10A: 14.5 mW

Still some usable output, but quite low.

IF you are not using a 'controller' you may get more WITH one.
Cheapest I ever bought was a clone for $99 w/ free ship.
My ML (six lines) improved to 145mW with controller..just sayin'
just the bare board.. made a case for it and it matches my others very close.
Often the controller cost more than the rest...google that.

_Wim_

My unit has the basic controls on the power supply itself. As far as I can see, this seem quite similar to what the controller is doing (assuming with controller you mean something like the "remote interface" in the picture below)RemoteInterface1.jpgmy power supply.jpg

yeah-- interface is correct my bad.
I have another with less (iirc no LC 'read out' might be 2505 instead of 2500)
the price on the one I posted is IMHO way too much.. more than I would
My unit has the basic controls on the power supply itself. As far as I can see, this seem quite similar to what the controller is doing (assuming with controller you mean something like the "remote interface" in the picture below)View attachment 72325View attachment 72326

ever pay. just keep searching--might be one in the BS&T area at SELEM 2021-- (aug in Newark Del--5days 4 nights and STILL ends too early-I am driving from Houston 23hrs-w/ no regrets--my first and second SELEM was awesome-- at both I won door prizes worth >$500--so did 'Ice' iirc.

At TEXLEM 1 (San Antonio Platinum won the QS/fb3 donated by AixiZ Laser (houston)

You may already know how 'ga-ga' I am about these LEMs.
see my old posts/threads==PM me IF you do not find the answers on your own..One big plus was getting to really meet and spend time talking with>60 0r 70 forum members (and their family/friends --WHO if NOT any laser forum members get in free--just do IT. btw I helped arrange all needed to get Sam to attend twice-- those who gave him a ride did a huge favor for us.. btw I hear that Sam may be ill--keep him in your thoughts and prayers..

len

My unit has the basic controls on the power supply itself. As far as I can see, this seem quite similar to what the controller is doing (assuming with controller you mean something like the "remote interface" in the picture below)View attachment 72325View attachment 72326
I've seen the top one for sale before with the DB-25 interface, just not one with the round umbilical interface like the bottom one.

MrNico33

I ran my two 2201 square heads last night after they've been sitting in boxes since moving to San Antonio 5 years ago. Both fired up immediately, no whining. Nice gas laser aqua blue color... I have a model 2500 remote which I started years ago to make an adapter cable to the round AMP connector for these older PSs but never finished so for whatever reason it currently will switch beam on and off, but won't crank the output up.

Also have a more recently acquired ebay special 2212 round head that came with a fiber adapter. It has the two-connector power/signal cable. It starts up fine but with the fiber coupler on it and a fiber attached, there doesn't seem to be any light coming through. If you hold it at an angle and look towards it (NOT into the direct beam) you can see a little red glow like filament color maybe. If the fiber adapter is removed, the expected blue beam light is generated BUT it is not focused, more like about 3/8" diameter at 8" away and darker in color. The head seems to start normally and run fine. When I attach the 2500 remote to the PS it will also control beam on/off but not adjust current/power for me. SO there may be something wrong with the remote. Needs more investigation. Anyone know what the slide switch on the right side of the remote is for? And might the fiber coupler filter out most visible light for some reason?

MrNico33

I forgot to mention, the newer to me head has a 'severe impact indicator' on the starter bump which is red, likely because the shipper almost just tossed it in the box with a yellow envelope to cushion it. Any chance it got damaged from impact if it still starts normally? Will try to hook up a power control pot directly to the PS connector this weekend.