Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Red-Purple Wavelength?

dreaming

This question has probably been asked before, but I searched and didn't find an answer.

Red-purple isn't a wavelength, but it seems to be visible with an RGB/RGBV as a purple-pink magenta color that doesn't seem to appear on the wavelength chart. It isn't >700nm and it's not <400nm, so is it not considered a wavelength because it's comprised of multiple wavelengths or something like that?
42718390280_85dbdb0e4f_b.jpg

dreaming

Red mixed with blue makes purple.
I apologize, my question was unclear. What I meant to ask is what wavelength is the result of combining blue plus red wavelengths, or is the result not considered it's own wavelength? For example, on an RGB the maxed output is called white, but "white" has no wavelength. Is there a word for colors like magenta and white that don't exist on the wavelength scale? Just curious.

I apologize, my question was unclear. What I meant to ask is what wavelength is the result of combining blue plus red wavelengths, or is the result not considered it's own wavelength? For example, on an RGB the maxed output is called white, but "white" has no wavelength. Is there a word for colors like magenta and white that don't exist on the wavelength scale? Just curious.
Magenta is just a illusion in your brain

image005.gif

EDIT
Newton's color wheel experiment for an example, you can see all individual colors if wheel is static, but if you spin it fast colors seems to disappear (turns to white)

Last edited:

Encap

You are confusing laser propertites and characteristics with human visual system and perception properties.

No new or different wavelength is created buy combining wavelengths.
Colors created by combining wavelengths still remain the wavelengths used.
The words you used "purple" "magenta" and "white"are the words.

Wavelength is a physical property. Wavelength is not a description of a color you perceive/see.
Color is not a physical property; it is merely the brain’s interpretation of different wavelengths of light based on input signal from the eyes. Color names are words/symbols for that brain activity.

"Spectral power distributions exist in the physical world, but color exists only in the mind of the beholder. Our perception of color is not an objective measure of anything about the light that enters our eyes"
See this site : https://physics.info/color/

Last edited: