Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

red lasers burning vs green lasers

Switch

Lol I was just kidding. It doesn't have a pot.It doesn't have a driver.It's a diode connected to a switch and a lens in front of it, all in a shiny case. :p I think the only pulsar mods you can do is improove bad contacts and enlarging the aperture for more power.

Is it not kinda wierd that WL sell the p125 for $250 when it probably costs them about $40 to make it? And they trick a lot of people to buy it... including me. :-[ But that was before I found this place and learned that WL sucks.

L4sers

bout the same burning wise, although, greens are more fun to play with cause of Beam ;D

For some reason, I actually enjoy a red laser in some smoke more than a green laser. I just love the deep red color, even if the green is brighter. But it's more fun to use a green in a really foggy night, because everyone in my town wonder what the heck it is. The police even came home to me because they had seen some sort of "pillar" of green light coming from my home. ;D

Ace82

Razako said:
Green will always be better than red for burning at the same power because you can focus it down to a smaller point and the photons carry more energy at shorter wavelengths.  This is why people can pop balloons and burn stuff with 20mw blu-rays.

IMO, this is the most relevant post of this thread. IMO, ditch the P 125, get a dilda, or have one of the members here custom build you one. Look around at some of the reviews, some of the nice "DIY" (quotation marks because they are pretty much professional, and some even semi production-produced!) make + 250mW. And some of the blu-rays are making ~ 180mW (which burns ridiculously). Or you can save up for a MONSTER such as an RPL-165 - 400mW (now THATS burning power).

I should have ditched it, but WL won't let me get a refund, they keep irritating me for sending underpowered pulsars. :mad: Although, in their RMA form, it is requested that i shall send my laser to their headquarters, not to their factory. Maye will they guarantee that I will get a good one this time, but I can't hope to much. I also requested a good one in the RMA form (but they will probably not even read it LOL).

Ace82 said:
[quote author=Razako link=1211683119/0#7 date=1211871835]Green will always be better than red for burning at the same power because you can focus it down to a smaller point and the photons carry more energy at shorter wavelengths. This is why people can pop balloons and burn stuff with 20mw blu-rays.

IMO, this is the most relevant post of this thread. IMO, ditch the P 125, get a dilda, or have one of the members here custom build you one. Look around at some of the reviews, some of the nice "DIY" (quotation marks because they are pretty much professional, and some even semi production-produced!) make + 250mW. And some of the blu-rays are making ~ 180mW (which burns ridiculously). Or you can save up for a MONSTER such as an RPL-165 - 400mW (now THATS burning power). [/quote]

yeah thats what my physics teacher says shorter wavelengths carry more energy, so if a red and green laser are powered the same the green would burn better
so at same power

least burning infrared>red>orange>yellow>green>blue>indigo>violet>ultraviolet (i think) > x-ray best burning

Switch

I still don't get why they burn better. :-/ Sure the photons carry more energy, but at the same power level, the longer wave laser has more photons with less energy while the shorter wave has less photons with more energy, so the total energy is the same anyway. WHY?? :p

Switch said:
I still don't get why they burn better. :-/ Sure the photons carry more energy, but at the same power level, the longer wave laser has more photons with less energy while the shorter wave has less photons with more energy, so the total energy is the same anyway. WHY?? :p

Its all about energy density. Like they said, the shorter wavelengths can ultimately be focused into a smaller spot, which means the same amount of energy is packed into a smaller spot (making the energy density higher). We all know smaller spots burn better. Is there a big enough difference in dot size to notice with the naked eye? No. Big enough difference in burning power to notice? Not really. They're mostly just saying that green will have more burning power, even if it is a very minute amount greater than the red.

Like I said, stick a 200mW green and a 200mW red side by side burning things, you wont really notice any difference in power. But if you get down to the actual science and math of it, the green will burn better.

Switch

Yea but is the dot size really noticeable with the regular aixiz lens? Are blu-rays being focused to a smaller spot that reds, with the same simple aixiz lens?Of what people are saying , there is indeed a noticeable difference in burning power between blu-rays and reds or even greens. :-/

I don't understand WHY either I only know shorter wavelengths carry more energy
so we need to start making x-ray and gamma lasers :cool:
edit: missed GooeyGus post

Switch said:
Yea but is the dot size really noticeable with the regular aixiz lens? Are blu-rays being focused to a smaller spot that reds, with the same simple aixiz lens?Of what people are saying , there is indeed a noticeable difference in burning power between blu-rays and reds or even greens. :-/

Its not noticeable, but it is happening. Like I said, the difference in fully focused dot size is so minute that you wont be able to see it, but yes the aixiz lenses are getting the 405's more tightly focused than the 650's.

I think the 'noticeable difference' is more placebo than anything. They know that the energy density of 405 should be higher so they notice it burning better. Another thing is that most greens cant be focused to a pinpoint, so people are saying "wow my 50mW 405 is burning way better than my 100mW 532!" but in reality, the 405 is focused all the way down whereas the 532 is still at infinity.

One thing that I HAVE noticed, is that 405 will burn even white surfaces, whereas green and red usually wont. I imagine this has to do with energy density and all that good stuff as well :cool:

Switch

But some people are saying they've lit matches with a 10mW blu-ray and stuff.I mean, you can't do that with a red. :p Anyway, I'll just see when I get to building my 803 blu-ray.
People are always saying "blu-ray has more energy!!11 woot!" but that doesn't mean more energy/power it means more energy/photon.So the pure fact that blu-ray photons have more energy should count for nothing when it comes to lasers of the same power, same beam diameter and same absorbtion rates. :p

But when lighting a match, all you need is one of those little particles to spark and you get the chain reaction. So, when you focus the BR down to a tiny spot, it has the same energy but spread over a smaller surface. Imagine the sun on a clear day. It can burn you but it takes a while. Now imagine the sun mounted inside a giant aixiz module. Same energy, but spread over a smaller area (that would be a fun laser... BTW. If only I could get it to fit in a pen...)

Also, I think 405 is more readily absorbed by a broader range of colors than red. Even when you look at 'black' its never true black. One cannot have a true black pigment. Usually it has a slightly redish tint to it, meaning it reflects red light, meaning it MAY be easier for a BR to ignite versus a red.

I got a match to light with my ps3 BR, but it was more like 25mW or more (super high current  ;D)

artix

chido said:
And the green has higher chances of arriving with problems like mode hopping. I have heard lots of stories about bad DX 200 green lasers but not many on the DX 200 red.

I have also herd that you'd be lucky if you get 100mw out of the 200mw green

Switch

artix said:
[quote author=chido link=1211683119/0#4 date=1211728155]And the green has higher chances of arriving with problems like mode hopping. I have heard lots of stories about bad DX 200 green lasers but not many on the DX 200 red.

I have also herd that you'd be lucky if you get 100mw out of the 200mw green[/quote]
I've also herd that u liek mudkipz :D (you had it comin ::) )

Btw, you can get the advertised 200mW for a few seconds if your lucky...even more if you include IR.