Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

red lasers burning vs green lasers

1. I am thinking of getting the dilda-lazer off dx ( 200mw red laser) and I just wanted to know do you guys reckon a red laser ( dilda laser off dx) with the same output of 200mW green laser could burn the same
stuff equally.

2. Would the 200mw red laser off dx ( dilda laser) have the same distance as say a true 30mw,50mw off dx

Thankx

Well, theoretically yes since they both put the same amount of heat in the object. But also I think green lasers can be focused better because they have a shorter wave length, but don't quote me on that :)

Though of course, green lasers are several times more expensive than red lasers, so red lasers are always good to go for burning :)

For lasers that us hobbyists buy, the DX200 red will burn better than a 200mW green because it is focusable.

Switch

It also depends on that "same stuff"s color ::) But let's talk about black stuff.A green one would burn better when collimated because it has a smaller beam diameter.But the red DX200 is focusable, and most greenies aren't, so that's an edge for the dilda.You're probbaly better off getting the red DX200 for burning overall. :p

chido

And the green has higher chances of arriving with problems like mode hopping. I have heard lots of stories about bad DX 200 green lasers but not many on the DX 200 red.

why cant you focus a green laser pointer? thats wrong, you CAN do it...with a lens..

if you focus it then you'd (theoretically) have a smaller dot with a green one than with a red one (just like you can get a blu-ray to get a smaller dot, you can get a green get a smaller one compared to a red laser)

red lasers will burn black or blue objects... I suppose green will burn black and orange objects.

Razako

Green will always be better than red for burning at the same power because you can focus it down to a smaller point and the photons carry more energy at shorter wavelengths. This is why people can pop balloons and burn stuff with 20mw blu-rays.

nikokapo said:
why cant you focus a green laser pointer? thats wrong, you CAN do it...with a lens..

if you focus it then you'd (theoretically) have a smaller dot with a green one than with a red one (just like you can get a blu-ray to get a smaller dot, you can get a green get a smaller one compared to a red laser)

well the point he's making is the Dilda is focusable straight out of the box and the NewWish pen isn't. It's not about the colour.

Razako said:
Green will always be better than red for burning at the same power because you can focus it down to a smaller point and the photons carry more energy at shorter wavelengths.  This is why people can pop balloons and burn stuff with 20mw blu-rays.
That was actually complete news for me. But even if a green laser carry more energy than a red, a 125mw red would still burn better than a 100mw green? And how about 80mw of blu-ray compared to 100mw green? Which would burn the best?
I wonder because I am getting a blu-ray at 80mw soon, and my pulsar125 burns WAY less with a lens than my 100mw green with a lens.

lazerguy said:
[quote author=Razako link=1211683119/0#7 date=1211871835]Green will always be better than red for burning at the same power because you can focus it down to a smaller point and the photons carry more energy at shorter wavelengths. This is why people can pop balloons and burn stuff with 20mw blu-rays.
That was actually complete news for me. But even if a green laser carry more energy than a red, a 125mw red would still burn better than a 100mw green? And how about 80mw of blu-ray compared to 100mw green? Which would burn the best?
I wonder because I am getting a blu-ray at 80mw soon, and my pulsar125 burns WAY less with a lens than my 100mw green with a lens.
[/quote]
There is no formula for burning yet so we can't figure exactly what will burn better. I had a blu-ray running at 40mA that could light matches, I'm guessing the output power was somewhere around 10mW, try doing that with a green laser ;D I'm gonna make a guess and say that your 80mW Blu-Ray should easily burn better than your 100mW Green and P125.

Good to hear that, I always wanted a good burning blu-ray. :D If your 10mw blu-ray can burn matches, my >80mw one should be able to slaughter them! [smiley=evil.gif] But the P125 shouldn't burn worse than a 100mw green even if the wavelength is longer, or should it? It actually burns worse my x-85 on very low batteries, so it can't be up to spec. That is why I have RMA:ed it. It is the second time I am RMA:ing it! :mad: But what else to expect from WL. ;D

Razako

lazerguy said:
Good to hear that, I always wanted a good burning blu-ray. :D If your 10mw blu-ray can burn matches, my >80mw one should be able to slaughter them! [smiley=evil.gif] But the P125 shouldn't burn worse than a 100mw green even if the wavelength is longer, or should it? It actually burns worse my x-85 on very low batteries, so it can't be up to spec. That is why I have RMA:ed it. It is the second time I am RMA:ing it! :mad: But what else to expect from WL. ;D
That would be caused by wicked sucking as usual. My pulsar 125 only puts out 100ish mw on fresh batteries.

I think that mine only puts out 75mw on fresh alkalines, 50 when I have used it for an hour. :mad:

Switch

lazerguy said:
I think that mine only puts out 75mw on fresh alkalines, 50 when I have used it for an hour.  :mad:

Maybe you should adjust the pot? :D

Nah, I am not that skilled with electronics yet, I would probably just kill the diode or mess up something else lol. But when I get the replacement and if it should also be underpowered, could I send it to an experienced member on the forum, asking him to mod it? I think that SenKat did something with another one's pulsar and made it output 180mw and become focusable. That would be nice, because I really love the pulsar housing. The housings are probably the only thing that WL does good.