Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Red Laser Build.

hi
i need help building a red laser im a noob at this so yeah
i dont even know what a driver,heatsink,circuit, and everything else i was wondering if someone can tell me a good red laser build and maybe a diagram of a laser
i know you can get part of a laser in a DVD Burner. what kind of dvd burner does it have to be?

hi
i need help building a red laser im a noob at this so yeah
i dont even know what a driver,heatsink,circuit, and everything else i was wondering if someone can tell me a good red laser build and maybe a diagram of a laser
i know you can get part of a laser in a DVD Burner. what kind of dvd burner does it have to be?

first off to start, Welcome to the forum.

Before you ask anymore questions, please search the forum for what you seek.

There are many discussions already in motion with all the information that you seek.;)

search.gif

Once you are familiar with what is what, feel free to ask more specific questions, and you will be lasing in no time.

Hello lager562,

To get a functional laser, you will need at a minimum these parts:

-Laser diode
-Focusing module
-Driver
-Power source
-Tools and misc. items to put it all together (soldering iron, wires, ect.)

For a red laser, the long open-can diode from the LPC-815 sled is a good place to start. It's a relatively inexpensive (~$10) sled and contains a ~250mw red diode that can be extracted. To focus your laser, a very commonly used module is the Aixiz module (~$4); You will need to extract the laser diode from the sled and press it into the Aixiz module. Alternatively, you can purchase a pre-extracted diode that has already been pressed into a module.

Next, for the driver you have a number of options to choose from. You can build your own "DDL" driver as shown in this thread: http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/diy-homemade-laser-diode-driver-26339.html. Or you can pick a pre-built driver such as the rkcstr or flexdrive driver.

Finally, you will need a power source for your laser. This can be in the form of a plug-in AC adapter, or just a few batteries if you want portability. The voltage your power source will need to supply depends on the diode you use, and the type of driver you pick. This power source will be connected to the driver, which will then power your laser.

Additionally, if you are willing to spend more money, you can make/buy a heatsink to increase the duty cycle of the laser, and purchase a nice host to put it all in.

BTW, it might help to search the forums first before you ask any questions. There is a lot of information to be found in older threads. If after searching you can't find the answer, then you can post your question.

oh yeah and is it depending on what diode you have to change the color of the laser?
and also i can a diode form a DVD Burner?

Hi,

from your questions, I see that you don't know much about electronics... I don't want to discourage you but i'll give you a bit of a reality check... you do need some basic knowledge and understanding of electronics. If you try to build a laser without this knowledge, your project will invariably fail.

Start at the beginning before attempting to build a laser, you need to know which part does what, how electronic components interact, you have to grasp the concepts of wattage, voltage, amperage and resistance.

Frankly, this site has an amazing amount of information on it if you search, but it is of little value if you can't understand what it all means...

If you're really serious about electronics hobbying, get an "electronics basics" book and start at the beginning... otherwise, I would recommend to buy an already build laser like this one: DealExtreme: $21.75 Focusable 100mW High Power Red Laser Pointer (2*CR2)

Trust me, there's no "connect this to that" simple recipe...

Robert

i cant order from deal extreme since i live in the US no lasers 5mw or up does this apply for other websites to? and if yea would i have to buy all the lasers part by part?

Hello lager562,
For a red laser, the long open-can diode from the LPC-815 sled is a good place to start. It's a relatively inexpensive (~$10) sled and contains a ~250mw red diode that can be extracted.

I am also relatively new at this stuff, although I do have a fair bit of electronics background. My question is how to acquire a diode. Where can you get this diode sled you speak of for $10? I bought a DVD burner today but the diode seems to be glued into a heat sink and it doesn't resemble any of the open or closed can pictures I've seen, as it isn't cylindrical. I'm fine to spend $10 or more on a new one but from where?

They are all over the net ;)

I checked StoneTek, they only have one type of diode and it's a BluRay one, and Aixiz, and they have one for $40: AixiZ but I'll keep looking.

Also, I was under the impression that because I live in the US I couldn't buy just a diode of this power I had to harvest one from a DVD Burner. Is this not the case?

EDIT: And if I am to buy a DVD Burner, how do I know which kind to get? This seems like the kind of info that would be asked hundreds of times on these forums but I have spent all day searching and I still haven't found a list of what DVD Burner to buy for a specific diode, etc.

Last edited:
I checked StoneTek, they only have one type of diode and it's a BluRay one, and Aixiz, and they have one for $40: AixiZ but I'll keep looking.

Also, I was under the impression that because I live in the US I couldn't buy just a diode of this power I had to harvest one from a DVD Burner. Is this not the case?

EDIT: And if I am to buy a DVD Burner, how do I know which kind to get? This seems like the kind of info that would be asked hundreds of times on these forums but I have spent all day searching and I still haven't found a list of what DVD Burner to buy for a specific diode, etc.

Welcome to the forums jkoeller,

The LPC-815 sled can be found at modwerx. You can also find the Aixiz module on that same site. Keep in mind that you will need to manually extract the diode from the sled and press it into the Aixiz module. Or, if you don't want to extract and press the diode yourself, you can buy the pre-made module.

You can buy high power diodes in the US no problem. But if you are purchasing a high power laser from an international source (such as DealExtreme) you may encounter problems with customs. Companies such as O-like will still ship high power lasers to the US, but DealExtreme no longer does so due to customs issues.

Welcome to the forums jkoeller,

The LPC-815 sled can be found at modwerx. You can also find the Aixiz module on that same site. Keep in mind that you will need to manually extract the diode from the sled and press it into the Aixiz module. Or, if you don't want to extract and press the diode yourself, you can buy the pre-made module.

You can buy high power diodes in the US no problem. But if you are purchasing a high power laser from an international source (such as DealExtreme) you may encounter problems with customs. Companies such as O-like will still ship high power lasers to the US, but DealExtreme no longer does so due to customs issues.

Excellent, just the info I needed. Thanks!

I went with the 650nm one because if you look up the non pre assembled versions of those two on modwerx you find that the 650nm has twice the power output for the same price. If my understanding is correct the only difference besides that is the wavelength and therefore the color. The 650nm is red and the 405nm is more of a violet color. If someone more knowledgeable sees this correct me if I'm wrong.