Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Red diode, beam profile has lines?

Hiemal

http://i.imgur.com/nSdOK.jpg

Why does she have lines? The beam profile other than that is pretty good, no?

Are they just diffraction/interference lines? :O

It's not an LPC;

It's a 3.8 mm open can long die (the die goes all the way to the edge of the can!) red diode.

I have it running at 250 mA. I'm sort of afraid to push it harder...it's the only red I have that works. ^_^

That is bare uncollimated output, right?

I've seen similar before, not all single mode diodes have a perfect TEM00 round spots, so I wouldn't say it is a bad profile at all. No idea if it is normal for the diode because I don't know what diode it is. :na:

Hiemal

Tis indeed the bare uncollimated output!

And, I don't even know what kind of diode it is! :p

It was from a laptop DVD burner, and that's all I know frankly.

Yeh then, looks good to me. Nice even gaussian profile, no real artifacts to speak of, no splash or major reflections. Collimate it and see how it does =) .

Tis indeed the bare uncollimated output!

And, I don't even know what kind of diode it is! :p

It was from a laptop DVD burner, and that's all I know frankly.

It Sound like you have a Smoc Diode.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/d...iodes-data-one-thread-45042-3.html#post660099

These are very nice diodes.!

The dont make the lines that come off the side of the dot like All other Red 660nm diode do like the LPC etc.

If it is the Smoc diode it also is an IR diode. Take a look at the thread I linked too.

The Smoc IIRC is the Only red that comes in the 3.8mm package that is available to us.

For your question on the Lines, All 660nm red diodes have used or seen have this. This is Normal. It is Unknown to me what its called.

Hiemal

It Sound like you have a Smoc Diode.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/d...iodes-data-one-thread-45042-3.html#post660099

These are very nice diodes.!

The dont make the lines that come off the side of the dot like All other Red 660nm diode do like the LPC etc.

If it is the Smoc diode it also is an IR diode. Take a look at the thread I linked too.

The Smoc IIRC is the Only red that comes in the 3.8mm package that is available to us.

For your question on the Lines, All 660nm red diodes have used or seen have this. This is Normal. It is Unknown to me what its called.

Mm.

And one of the pins is broken on it, unfortunately. Fortunately, though, it was the pin that supposedly goes to the IR diode.

I don't remember seeing another diode in the laptop drive I got it from, so that may very well be the same diode.

I bumped it up to 378 mA. It's running quite nicely. :)

Last edited:

Fiddy

ive got a 3.8mm red from my laptop burner, it cuts tape :) they start to dim at 200mA IIRC, gunna put it in a 3.8mm module from rhd when they arrive!