Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Rechargeable Batteries Safe In Dorcy Jr. Blu-ray?

daguin

Re: Rechargeable Batteries Safe In Dorcy Jr. Blu-r

hydrogenman15 said:
I am pretty sure your supposed to leave the boost driver in there in order for the voltage to be high enough. Is the flex drive a boost driver. :-? I was under the impression that it just didn't have a voltage drop. I have my dorcy BR running just fine with the boost driver in there though.

--hydro15

I'm pretty sure you are supposed to incapacitate the stock driver.  The flexdrive IS a boost driver.  It is actually boost/buck.  It is probably working overtime smoothing out the current from the stock driver for you.

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
[quote author=hydrogenman15 link=1223049749/0#15 date=1223082427]

I am pretty sure your supposed to leave the boost driver in there in order for the voltage to be high enough. Is the flex drive a boost driver. :-? I was under the impression that it just didn't have a voltage drop. I have my dorcy BR running just fine with the boost driver in there though.

--hydro15

I'm pretty sure you are supposed to incapacitate the stock driver. The flexdrive IS a boost driver. It is actually boost/buck. It is probably working overtime smoothing out the current from the stock driver for you.

Peace,
dave
[/quote]

Thanks daguin. :) It's not broken and if history has told me anything its to not fix something unless its broken. If the spikes are THAT bad I should probably remove it though. :-/

--hydro15

daguin

hydrogenman15 said:
Thanks daguin. :) It's not broken and if history has told me anything its to not fix something unless its broken. If the spikes are THAT bad I should probably remove it though. :-/
--hydro15

If it ain't broke -- Don't fix it.

If it spikes enough to hurt the diode, then you'll have to get into it anyway and can "change" it then.

Peace,
dave

hmmm....... well ::)..... my dorcy driver is now disabled. As i was prying the black cap off, it popped off and my screwdriver jammed into the driver board and knocked off some little black thing with copper wire coiled around it. laser does not work now..... am i still ok as long as i install the flexdrive?

Ted

Kenom

You are indeed. The component you knocked loose was the inductor. Not a problem. You'll end up removeing most of the components on that board anyway. I donno about anyone else but I have a lansky mount on my desk for sharpening knives and I use that to put the dorcy onto and gently tap on the bottom to push the driver out. you will then follow the instructions here: http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1214285108

Great walkthrough although do NOT use the existing driver the way he is and daguin and everyone has recommended make sure that it is disabled before connecting your flex drive. I just shipped a dorcy Jr. to a guy in the UK that was averaging 250mw or thereabouts.

Kenom said:
You are indeed. The component you knocked loose was the inductor. Not a problem. You'll end up removeing most of the components on that board anyway. I donno about anyone else but I have a lansky mount on my desk for sharpening knives and I use that to put the dorcy onto and gently tap on the bottom to push the driver out. you will then follow the instructions here: http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1214285108

Great walkthrough although do NOT use the existing driver the way he is and daguin and everyone has recommended make sure that it is disabled before connecting your flex drive. I just shipped a dorcy Jr. to a guy in the UK that was averaging 250mw or thereabouts.

I suppose I should remove it then. I have a 16x diode that ran off of the stock driver (5 ohm resistor too) and its been working for quite a while now, not saying it will work but I CAN'T get the module out of the red without destroying the module so I'll leave it be. I have a fried back end of a dorcy Jr. So I'll try disabling the stock driver and using it for the BR.

--hydro15

Switch said:
Because it is unsafe to drain or recharge lithiums more that they're supposed to, hence the protection circuit (or poke or cut and stuff).Devices that are supposed to take lithiums usually have a built in protection circuit, and anyway protected cells(that have a built in protection circuit that shuts them off at 2.85V IIRC) exist for DIYers.But if you do use unprotected cells without a built in protection circuit something bad might happen, like they could blow up.Which would be bad. :-/

So ,I'm not 100% sure, but unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing, I suggest you use protected cells and a designated charger. :p I mean, this couldn't just burn your LD or something, it could be a fire hazard or worse....
Actually, I thought you meant some harm can come to the Flexdrive or LD from using non-protected cells. I've been using LiPo's in my R/C Helis for years now and was made aware of the dangers with these types of batteries :-[. But I do thank you for the info.
Would you recommend Dealextreme's CR123 rechargeables? 3.6 volt or 3.0 volt?
Thanks again!
Rob

Phew! too many times ive found out that a simple slip of a screwdriver can really mess up your day! ;D

Switch

I don't know if I'd recomend any batteries from DX since I never ordered any.I was just stating what I've heard of.Anyway, the danger probably isn't THAT great, but the possibility is there. :p