Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Rechargeable AA batteries recommendations

Things

His reasoning is that you realistically won't be using the taser that much, thus the expense of rechargeables would be unjustified :p

Last edited:
His reasoning is that you realistically won't be using the taser that much, thus the expensive of rechargeables would be unjustified :p

In the long run rechargeable batteries are cheaper. In the manual it even says you can use rechargeable batteries and recommends energizer ones.... Like I said before if I pull it out and spark it a coupe times just playing around i feel it would be nice to just throw them in the charger.

Google "break-even point" or "return on investment".

As an example, it doesn't make sense to spend $1000 on a solar panel if that panel only saves you 40 cents per month on your electrical bill.

^^^:na:

I pulled the following from here....

http://www.lawanddemocracy.org/pdffiles/psdb09-02.pdf

BATTERIES
Different models of taser require different types of batteries, usually either alkaline or
rechargeable are recommended. Different types of batteries have varying levels of
performance in terms of their output and power depletion, both when in use and when stored
and when used in different climates. Many off-the-shelf commercial batteries are not designed
to provide peak current for a short duration, however there are certain models of certain
brands that are adequate.
When the spark rate is lower than normal, due to either partly exhausted or cold batteries, the
number of pulses per second reaching the target will be lower. Tasers operating at lower
spark rates are not as likely to lead to complete incapacitation of the subject. For these
reasons, along with cost issues and shelf lives, the choice of battery is very important. A full
discussion of the available batteries is provided in Appendix B2.
For the Taser International M18L and M26 models the Nickle Metal Hydride rechargeable
batteries were found to provide the best output and have the longest life span (around 100
uses). For the 34000 series all the PP3 size batteries obtained by PSDB were found to have
the same characteristics and lasted for between 30-40 full discharge cycles before draining
enough to significantly slow the pulse rate of the taser. For Tasertron, PSDB was unable to
obtain any of the recommended types other than the lithium for the TE86/95/95HP models
and the Energizer e2 Titanium Technology type for the TE93. The former was found to last for
over 200 5-second discharges but the latter ran down after approximately 30 5-second
discharges.
B2 Recommended Batteries
B2.1 The Taser International M18L and M26 (Advanced Taser) Models
Taser International recommends the use of either Energizer NiMH rechargeable batteries or
Duracell Ultra alkaline batteries. The Advanced Tasers (M26 and M18 models) take 8 AA
batteries. Each NiMH rechargeable battery has a voltage of 1.2V, resulting in an overall
voltage of 9.6V. Each Duracell Ultra battery has a voltage of 1.5V, resulting in an overall
voltage of 12V. Despite the NiMH rechargeable batteries having a lower voltage than the
Duracell Ultras, they can deliver higher currents, resulting in an increased output power.
Taser International has recently introduced their own brand of rechargeable batteries as well
as a recharger unit. The recharger can be plugged directly into the M26 tasers via the dataport
(the M18L tasers are currently being equipped with a dataport to allow this recharging
option). Alternatively, the batteries can be placed directly into the recharger whilst in the
magazine.
B2.2 Performance
The performance of the different types of batteries with continuous usage varies. This is shown
in Figure B1, which plots the change in voltage for each of the types of batteries against the
number of uses. The performance of the Duracell Ultra batteries declines steadily throughout
the lifetime of the batteries, with the voltage dropping with every usage. With the NiMH
rechargeable batteries, the voltage and therefore performance remains constant for a long
period with a rapid decline after a large number of uses (around 100). NiMH batteries, unlike
NiCad (see B2.5), do not display memory effects upon recharging. This means that they do
not need to be fully discharged and then fully charged to reach optimum performance. They
can be placed in the charger at any time and will still charge up fully.

Untitled-1_zps26904c18.jpg

The difference in performance between NiMH and Duracell Ultra batteries can be observed
by firing, side-by-side, two tasers – one powered by Duracell Ultra alkaline batteries and one
by NiMH rechargeable batteries. The initial spark rate will be higher when using the
rechargeable batteries, due to their higher power. Also, with continuous 5-second cycles, the
fast spark rate of the NiMH’s will be maintained whereas with the alkaline batteries the spark rate will decrease rapidly with continuous cycles. When the taser is not fired in continuous
cycles, this decline in performance will not be as rapid as the batteries will have had time to
recover in between uses.
The Advanced Tasers have a low battery indicator at the rear of the units that indicates when
the overall battery voltage has dropped below 11.1V. This was designed for use with Duracell
Ultra batteries to allow the user to know when their performance had dropped below a certain
level. When the taser is used with NiMH batteries, however, the working voltage of 9.6V
means that the battery indicator shows that the batteries have a low power even when they are
fully charged. This is also shown in Figure B1.
The performance of the different types of batteries also varies in cold conditions with NiMH
rechargeable batteries being less affected by cold conditions than alkaline batteries. PSDB has
carried out extreme temperature tests on all the different types of batteries, cartridges and
tasers. The results of these tests can be seen in Section 2.8.
Taking all the evidence into account the rechargeable batteries would appear to be the best
option. It should be noted, however, that rechargeable batteries self-drain at approximately
1% per day. Therefore, if the taser is not used for a period of time and the batteries are not
recharged, there will be a large reduction in the power. If rechargeable batteries are used, it is
extremely important to remember to recharge them at regular intervals – Taser International
recommends doing this every two weeks.

nd therI found these...
hxkp.jpg

They are about 1/2 the height of AA's. One type is 1.5v and the other two types are 12v!

Last edited:
I know.. They tricked me in the shop by putting them amongst rechargeables. In the same colour packaging! Asshats! But I was surprised by the voltages, and just brought them.. But potential stacking of batteries to get 6v from a 2aa device is quite interesting.. Dunno what I can do with the 12v's though... ?

Since you've posted the same thing in (at least) two places, I guess I have to correct you twice.

Getting 6v from a 2x AA host from primary's is quite nice.

You mean 4.5V. You won't get four in there.

it doesn't realy matter how many times i posted something.... bit weird.... nevermind.