Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

rechargable batteries like energizer e2 lithiums?

Gazoo

Re: rechargable batteries like energizer e2 lithiu

In a way you are right too.. :)

The electrolyte used in a nimh battery is Potassium hydroxide

The electrolyte used in an alkaline battery is Potassium hydroxide (KOH)

BTW, I just found it here...great FAQ:

http://www.powerstream.com/BatteryFAQ.html

Gazoo

Milos said:
Here's what I was talking about above. This is a great battery!
http://batteryjunction.com/10440.html
*** BE CAREFULL HOW YOU USE THEM WITH LASERS. THEY ARE 4.2V peak EACH !!! ***

this link should also help settle some arguments.

It's a shame they don't make protected AAA's. As I understand it there isn't enough room for the circuit. But those batteries
are decent from what I have read about them as are any of the UltraFire brand.. :)

Milos

Geat link Gazoo! Thanks.

For the others taking note, the only main difference between Ni-MH and Ni-Cd are that Ni-MH uses a hydrogen-absorbing alloy as the negative electrode and Ni-Cd uses cadmium instead. This provides the Ni-MH with up to 3 times the capacity (mAh) as the Ni-Cd. And as Gazoo said, the Ni-Cd uses potassium hydroxide as the electrolyte (conductive fluid) and the Ni-MH usually uses the same but has been different on occasions.

jayrob

Gazoo said:
Unfortunately that kit only includes 2 AA batteries. If you search around you can find a better deal on a kit. For example Amazon has a sale on a kit which includes a charger, 8 AA and 4 AAA eneloops. But if you already have a charger I do highly recommend Battery Bob.

Gazoo, I had just bought some Eneloops to try them out...I havn't tried them out yet. Do I need to buy a special charger for the Eneloops? Or, can I just use the Ni-MH aa/aaa charger that I already have?
Thanks,
Jay

P.S. Do you have the link to the graphs you did on the comparison with the Eneloops and the Energizer lithium AAAs?

jayrob

Gazoo,
Thanks for that great information! Man, I'm excited about my X-105 which is on the way now! I also got in on the last GB for the laser power meter from DDL...have not received it yet though. Nice graphs! Do you have any opinion on how the Eneloops compare with the Energizer lithiums as far as run time? That is, how often you need to recharge or replace?
Thanks,
Jay

Gazoo

Needless to say you will be very happy with both the LPM-1 and the X-105... :)

The E2 AAA Lithium has a capacity of 1250ma's. The AAA Eneloop has a capacity of ~800ma's, but my test results as well as everyone else who tested them showed an average of 850ma's.

The reason I love the Eneloops over any other battery is they maintain their charge. A traditional Nimh battery will lose 1 to 2% of its charge per day, and as we all know every time you charge a battery it loses some of its capacity. I tested some AA and AAA Eneloops that were a year old brand new right out of the package. They still had 75% of their capacity. However it has been reported Sanyo does not fully charge the batteries before they leave the factory. Also there is no way to know what environmental conditions they were subjected to during shipping and/or storage. Anyway, I was still surprised at the capacity remaining in the cells. All of the cells I have, have been consistent meaning they have all measured the same voltage out of the package, and have been very consistent during my testing for capacity. Others have also noted they withstand high currents just as good if not better than Nimh batteries.

Since the X-105 has a duty cycle of 90 seconds it would be difficult to know what the longest running battery would be. If we could run it continuously until the battery died, then it would be easy to test. My guess would be the lithium would have an edge over the Eneloops, but not by much. Also consider that once you have run the Eneloops through a few cycles, they have already paid for themselves..plus some. Since they don't need to be recharged as often they will outlast a regular Nimh battery.

Lithiums would be my second choice for the Nova or most any other application. I hate Alkaline batteries with a passion. I have had bad luck with them leaking on me and will avoid them. Even in remote controls I am now using Eneloops. I have never had a Lithium leak on me.... but have had a Nimh leak only once and that was because it was in a radio I forgot to turn off. I know it still should have not leaked but it did.

jayrob

Good stuff Gazoo...Thanks!
Jay

It was hard to compare the graphs since they were on seperate pages so im gona post them both on the same page.

The first dip on the graph is not because of the batteries gazoo was trying to line it up properly with the meter so please ignore that.

....lazer... ;D ;D ;D

Attachments

• E2Llithiums_001.jpg
    E2Llithiums_001.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 66

Eneloops

Attachments

• Slightly_Used_Eneloops_001.jpg
    Slightly_Used_Eneloops_001.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 74

Ouch! That's one huge drop on the E2's! :eek:

Gazoo

sc_bond said:
Ouch! That's one huge drop on the E2's! :eek:

No it was my doing..I was checking to make sure the beam was aimed exactly where I wanted it to be, so please ignore that dip. If you click the link I posted above you will notice I did explain it. I kind of wish woooolazer would not have posted the graphs in this thread as I knew it would raise questions I have already answered in the other thread. But I realize he was trying to be helpful.

;D I was gonna say something odd must have happened!

Sorry about that it was just hard to compare eisely between seperate pages, i edited the post and put to ignore the first dip because he was aligning with the meter.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

Gazoo

It's all good... :) Thanks for the edit...