Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Rebuilt ophir diy lpm. One more mod for the lpm fans

Tmack

Hey guys got my ophir head about an hour ago and wired her up using a wiring diagram I found on Google images lol. Just wanted to make sure everything is going OK. When not reading anything it gives me a reading of around - 3.1 or so. Just wondering if this is ambient light or did I possibly do something wrong.
8733-1385416409821.jpg

Seems to be reading ok.
8732-imag0526.jpg

I Think overall it turned out a bit more tidy than I expected.
8731-imag0525.jpg

I followed all the diagrams I came across perfectly. Was wondering if maybe a subpar dmm could cause this, or maybe a bad connection. I'm hoping this is the norm, but I have no prior experience with these heads.

My laserbee gives a +02.6 mw reading when not measuring also. I'm just confused by the -3.5 to -2.7. Reading when the Ophir is not measuring.

I wanted to make everything more compact, user friendly, and just plain less sloppy. The ophir head is secured to the box, grommets were used for all holes and it's shrink wrapped you death. It much easier to setup and use. No more unhooking batteries. Just flip the switch and shoot.

The whole unit is solid and easy to use and store. I have a small protective case that will keep it nice. Thanks for watching :)

One last modification ;)
8848-imag0665.jpg

Now she's done. (aside from some data logging :p)

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Re: Ophir diy lpm

Hey Tmack, what are you using for a power source, I can't tell from the pics?
I wired mine up according to this schematic that I came across in a thread by Laserbee, IIRC.
The green dots are where I connected a switch.

04fb15c2-9c8d-4a26-8a8e-f7259a889997_zpsa3ce2b1e.jpg

ARG

I'm just confused by the -3.5 to -2.7. Reading when the Ophir is not measuring.

That's normal. Most ophir heads zero out at -10 to 10 mV

Just let it sit for 5 minutes, take note of the zeroed reading then subtract it from the laser reading. There will be about 0.5mV of noise after 5 minutes, which is normal for these heads.

If you want to adjust it there is a trimpot inside the head to adjust the zeroing but you are better off using the "Relative" button on a DMM.

Tmack

That's the exact picture I used.

At radio shack I couldn't find the Dpst switch. Could I just use two switches? Or just interrupt the red wire?

Thanks arg. I was a little worried about that. So I let it sit and it calms down to around 1.7-2.1

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter

I can't remember just which switch I used, but I picked it up from radio shack.
Here is a pic showing the switch, on the end of the project box.

1679f5aa-a06a-4204-bd25-4bb2b1dc26e9_zps6742416b.jpg

Tmack

Where did you pick up that heatsink?? I will be needing a tripod as well.

Looks great!

Maybe ill mount the head to the project box and use it as a stand and switch location as well.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter

I had Mrcrouse make it for me, then I had him anodize it; no reflections that way.
His heatsinks are in one of his threads, he has 3 or 4 versions of them. The little tripod is from Meijer's, $5.99 I think.
You won't go wrong with Mrcrouse he does excellent work, but you already know that! :D

Last edited:

Tmack

Indeed I do. I can't tell you how impressive the Zaser has been. Apparently it has a thermal protection circuit I didn't know about too :D

As for that yellow wire in the back of the head. Care to explain that? Or is it just a sort of conduit for the original Ophir wires?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter

That is just a 4 wire cord with a screw on plug at the back of the box.
It was used for limit switch wiring, I thought it gave it an industrial look. :)
If you look close, you can see the black shrink wrap where it's joined to the Ophir wiring.

ef38ff66-61d7-4182-acbc-cf35d742f914_zps5e564dfa.jpg

Last edited:

Tmack

Very nice. Now that I know everything works correctly with my setup ill have to make some cosmetic improvements as well. Your really does have a nice professional look.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter

Thanks Tmack.
BTW, I found the bag that my switch came in, it's a dpdt switch. RadioShack part #275-0695.

Tmack

Thanks a lot. I think those are the ones with six points on the back. I was contemplating getting one of those but didnt want to before I asked someone here. I appreciate you taking the time to look.

sinner

I have the same sensor and It's just amazing fast response time, Great choice :beer:

tomsk

Great.

I very like it, but, nnot have enough money.

Re: Rebuilt ophir diy lpm. New setup!

Must spread rep. Nice build though. I like the clean look. No wires hanging out all over the place.