Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

reasonable green pointer for astro purposes

Hi all,

I've spent a lot of time reading posts in this forum (and elsewhere) and still having trouble deciding on what to buy.

I want a 532nm pointer for use as an astronomy demonstrator, both in the city and at dark sky sites.

I want reasonably good power, and don't want to buy cheap rubbish. If I can buy Australian, that would be good.

I've used a 5mW which was totally inadequate, and a 30mW which was quite good.

I've tried buying the module and building my own, but I didn't have much luck with Ebay cheapies!

So..... I know this question has done the rounds *many* times on LPF, but I ask again: what is a good value-for-money, reasonably powerful green laser pointer to buy, or who would build one for me?

TIA :thinking:

Fiddy

ahh a perth goer!

greens are really easy to build man, the green modules contain the driver,diode,crystal and lens in one. All you have to do is apply power to the module and your in buisiness.

What you will find is you need a host to hold the module, most people will use a heatsink with a set screw to hold the module in place, then wiring the switch up to it.

So you said a 30mW was good, you could go a 50mW if you wish its up to you.
i use the ebay seller: techhood for my green modules, they have been pretty good.
50mW 532nm 3.0-3.7V /Laser Diode Module/Green Laser | eBay

Now you just have to ask yourself what battery you want to use and then choose a host based on that.

heres a diagram of what i did:

GuidesmanHost.png

heres the link to that thread: http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/first-532nm-build-64591.html

Fiddy.

awesome, tnx Fiddy.

I'm playing w a 30mW 532nm module from Ebay right now, but not having any luck. It has a third TTL wire which confused me (I'm not an electronics buff *at all*) but I believe I can either ignore that wire or connect it to the red +ve wire anyway. I think I've been sold a dud though, coz I can't get a light out of it at all. :(

I've previously built a 30mW unit which worked for a while, but now the light comes on for a split second before it dims badly. I'm thinking of giving up and buying a ready-built one - but I don't have a lot of cash.

Fiddy

got a picture of that module? you didnt play with the pot on it did you?

i dont know how well you will get a ready built one in through customs tho either.

this is the 30mW which was working well then suddenly went wrong! It lights up for a split second before dimming badly

Attachments

• 2012-07-20 16.07.05.jpg
    2012-07-20 16.07.05.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
The only reason why we are hesitant to recommend you pointers is that as far as the Australian laws go, lasers above 5mW (or was it 1mW) are illegal. Many packages shipped to Australia don't go though customs.

However, since buying the components is okay, we recommend you to try building one again without stressing too much over it.

Otherwise, I would recommend Lazerer's pointers here:

50mW pen: LZTN - 532nm 50mW Smallest Green Laser Pointer

50mW flashlight style: LZTN - 532nm 50mW Smallest Green Laser Pointer

Or do certified astronomers have the permission to have powerful pointers? :thinking:

Cheers!

Last edited:
Tnx,
Yeah, I'm thinking I might buy a host kit and muck around with it myself. The laws in Australia vary from state to state and are somewhat ambiguous. In my home state of Victoria, you can get permission from the Commissioner of Police to buy, transport, store, display, sell, own, use a laser over 1mW after going through plenty of paperwork and getting references from an appropriate body eg an astronomy club. I have one of these permits. In other states, its different and I'm still trying to get my head around the rules where I am now.
Thanks again for the tips,
Rob :)