Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

READ BEFORE POSTING! LPF Forum Etiquette

What?

Epic fail for seemingly meaningless double post in the forum etiquette thread. You've just earned yourself a....

facepalm.jpg

Reactions: mfo

I have a feeling that there is a member that makes a new account for every 4th or 5th post he makes...

Re: Read First... LPF FORUM ETIQUETTE

Good posts, It's too bad the noobs will never read them when this is stikied. The word "sticky" must mean, DO NOT READ, in some wierd noobland :p

Anyway, at least I'll have a thread to refer some people to. Thanks!

Not all Noobs are created equal :D (I read it) :D

Re: Read First... LPF FORUM ETIQUETTE

Not all Noobs are created equal :D (I read it) :D

Seconded! I decided to join because a lot of the posts I found here were very helpfull when I was starting out, and I wanted to show off the ones I build :) , and something to add
Remember to say :thanks: something I admittedly don't do often enough but I am working on it!!

SagnaB

Number 9 and Number 12 are my favourite :p
But I totally agree with all of them.
May I suggest another one, "Have fun. and enjoy your stay."
Or words to that effect lol

how about "don't try to sell lasers in the FS area without pics if your post count is <500/ join date is less than 3 months old?"

idk just my 2 cents

I don't agree with that, mainly because yes I am a new member, but I own a laser that customs damaged that I personally cannot repair but a laserist that has experience building should easily be able to fix/use it for parts.

All that's wrong is that customs forced the outter button inside the host, but I've tested it by using a pencil to push the inner button and it still works and i can see the button through the hole where it came out.

All that needs doing is to be opened up and have the button re-positioned. I cannot do this myself, and I now have a more powerful 532nm laser so am not fussed about keeping this 'damaged' 532nm so am willing to sell it for the ammount it costs me to post it only.

I see no reason why I should not be 'allowed' to offer this laser for sale just because:

I've not been a member for 3 months

AND/OR

I haven't been trolling

Peter

Last edited:
I don't agree with that, mainly because yes I am a new member, but I own a laser that customs damaged that I personally cannot repair but a laserist that has experience building should easily be able to fix/use it for parts.

All that's wrong is that customs forced the outter button inside the host, but I've tested it by using a pencil to push the inner button and it still works and i can see the button through the hole where it came out.

All that needs doing is to be opened up and have the button re-positioned. I cannot do this myself, and I now have a more powerful 532nm laser so am not fussed about keeping this 'damaged' 532nm so am willing to sell it for the ammount it costs me to post it only.

I see no reason why I should not be 'allowed' to offer this laser for sale just because:

AND/OR

I haven't been trolling

Peter

First off this is the etiquette thread, not your personal sales thread. Secondly rules are rules, if you like them or not. We have had too many new members scamming people out of money here. If you dont like it, you can always go to another forum to sell your broken worthless pointer.

Morgan

AND/OR

I haven't been trolling

Peter

I don't think the suggestion was not to be allowed to put it up for sale. Just don't do it without pictures under those circumstances. With limited reputation and posts there is no reason to believe a very new member. In this case, the laser is described as broken which is fair enough but others may have taken the notion to say it was functional but with pics this would be harder to pull off.

I happen to think it's a, "good advice", suggestion. It simply won't get any attention without pics.

M
:)

Last edited:
First off this is the etiquette thread, not your personal sales thread. Secondly rules are rules, if you like them or not. We have had too many new members scamming people out of money here. If you dont like it, you can always go to another forum to sell your broken worthless pointer.

I am not trying to turn this into my 'personal sales thread' and I am not disputing rules, I am meerly letting people know that NOT ALL NEW MEMBERS ARE SCAMMERS.

as for broken worthless pointer, it may be useful to a new builder who needs parts cheap and I dont appreciate you having ago at me for a comment.

I agree that a rule should be made about new members proposing sales, but I was just saying that I don't think it should be as blanket as

you must have been here 3 months or have trolled alot

I feel that something 'along the lines of' without adequette proof. I personally would be happy to email some proof of postage as well as pictures before hand as Morgan mentioned. I am not a scammer and I was just making it know that a blanket rule like that is a bit unfair to the honest new members.

Peter

Last edited:
I don't think the suggestion was not to be allowed to put it up for sale. Just don't do it without pictures under those circumstances. With limited reputation and posts there is no reason to believe a very new member. In this case, the laser is described as broken which is fair enough but others may have taken the notion to say it was functional but with pics this would be harder to pull off.

I happen to think it's a, "good advice", suggestion. It simply won't get any attention without pics.

M

I didn't mean to say that it stated it was not allowed to be put up for sale (hense my use of quotation marks, I wasn't sure of the right word)

I agree picture would be sent as soon as I knew someone was interested and I accept that it is to try to protect the buyer. Also I agree the picture clause and also maybe a proof of postage clause being added would make it better, I just feel that what was originally suggested was to much of a 'blanket rule'.

Peter

P.S. Sorry for the double post, I'm still getting used to the site.

Morgan

You miss my point. There is no blanket ban. The suggestion was that pictures of the items for sale should be included in the sales thread in the first post. Without them the thread is not likely to attract any interest anyway. You are more than welcome to post and find this to be true however. The first post after yours would be, "Any pictures?", or words to that effect, and that would be if there were any replies at all.

No ban was suggested, just a pointer to any new members reading this that it would be a, 'good idea'.

A nod to rule 4 in the first post, and post #29. TJ will win, calm down! :D;)

M

Ah, I do see your point now Morgan. That'll teach me to read stuff at 2AM :S

And with regards to rule #4, I was not arguing I just don't feel that accusing me of trying to turn the tread to my personal sales thread was out of order as I was just trying to give my input and view (as a new member) about a rule that regards NEW MEMBERS.

I agree new members shouldn't START arguements with older members, but that shouldn't give the older members the right to make accusations and have ago at new members.

Another reason not to do that is that you'll end up scaring away most new members and then the site's likely to just die.

PS I'm gonna sleep now to avoid any further mis-readings on my part.

I love this place!

Heya, hows every body at this amazing first-class forum doing right now? Thankful I can be a part of the discussion board and I look forward to a bunch of excellent encounters here!

Another reason not to do that is that you'll end up scaring away most new members and then the site's likely to just die.

You're over estimating your importance. We have over 12,000 members, with 100's more signing up every week. If you left today, not one person would notice, or care.

80% of your original post was a sales pitch. You could of made your point without including all the info about the laser. Its a forum etiquette thread. Who cares why your lasers doesn't work, or why you are selling it.