Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Re: new Sharp 495nm diode(after testing it confirmed just 488nm)

Rivem

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any more available at this time. I did finish testing one and they are much happier being pushed at 150 mA at a wavelength between 484nm and 485nm. To get to 488nm one must push them around 300 mA and they tend to get quite hot there.... even pressed into a module.

I've noticed, and it's really a shame. We can only hope they're early in production, so maybe we'll start seeing a lot more.

Honestly I think I'll like 485nm better than 488nm. I don't like my blues arguably green under some circumstances.

Also I'm on two waiting lists for info on the upcoming sharp 488's. No news yet, but when I hear something you guys will too. Just a long waiting game

Honestly I think I'll like 485nm better than 488nm. I don't like my blues arguably green under some circumstances.

Also I'm on two waiting lists for info on the upcoming sharp 488's. No news yet, but when I hear something you guys will too. Just a long waiting game

^Is it for joeybab's $300 488's Z? If so, and they turn out real, I might need to get one. After getting 589 and 505. All these new colors showing their heads is great! :beer:

-Alex

badboybilly, that's a really fantastic color!

The ones that showed up for <$100 were produced by sharp, the more expensive ones are osram diodes. The sharp diodes are supposed to be much cheaper, but AFAIK no one is selling them yet apart from those two "test" units.

Yes I never said it was Osram, my u tube video clearly said Sharp, It seems peaple are still confusing these, This particular diode I have is 488 sharp it was spectroed by CNI. I wish I got it for $100. As far as I know it's the only one left the other had a premature death,

I doubt the others for $300 are the Osram plt 488 either since the one spectroed was 484!

Last edited:

I printed the label for that diode that's coming to you. PM is coming with the tracking number. It is scheduled to go out tomorrow. And, I think in a build, it will be closer to 485nm at 150 mA as heat will play a roll in its wavelength.

^Is it for joeybab's $300 488's Z? If so, and they turn out real, I might need to get one. After getting 589 and 505. All these new colors showing their heads is great! :beer:

-Alex

Yes it is -- just paid for it yesterday. Though the host I was originally planning to put it into is not going to work out, so I'm going with something different... I'm going for something with a long duty cycle first and foremost.

I doubt the others for $300 are the Osram plt 488 either since the one spectroed was 484!

Thing is, it probably is from osram. It's either them, n!ch!a, or sharp... I don't think any other companies have the tech to produce wavelengths this green. Could be a reject batch..?

I printed the label for that diode that's coming to you. PM is coming with the tracking number. It is scheduled to go out tomorrow. And, I think in a build, it will be closer to 485nm at 150 mA as heat will play a roll in its wavelength.

Hopefully I can get everything this weekend and have it up and ready. Now that would be nice :drool:

I have a lot of stuff that I really need to sit down and take good pictures of for a review thread... hopefully I can also get to that soon...

Double-post;

I found out what killed my diode. Set screw was tight enough to prevent the module from moving in and out of the host I had it in, but not tight enough to prevent it from rotating within the heatsink. When changing the lenses/adjusting focus, pins twisted and shorted the diode. I really wish I hadn't dissected it now, knowing is worse than not :(

Did you try to untwist them? Maybe it's not dead...

Oh I did. It's very much so dead...

That sucks, man. These diodes are far too sensitive :/

Yeah, that sucks. My first thought was maybe the diode would survive, but at the moment when the pins were shorting and then, maybe, opening the driver would have wasted most any diode. I wouldn't be too quick to blame the diode. It was an unfortunate mistake that might kill the hardiest diode.