Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Rayfoss RF532-30mW-QMT Green 30mw waterproof laser

Tre

Well, after being in shipping for 40 days it has arrived! In August I decided to finally go ahead and order my first >5mw laser a, Rayfoss waterproof green.
This is just a first impressions, I will post updates as I use it more and of course beamshots tonight.
It is very bright, so much that I don't know if it is actually putting out less than 30mw of green light. I might try using underwater sometime but I will leave that for later.
-Button is reverse clicky, seems well made
-small scratches and dings on edges but mostly negligible
-feels solid and heavy, weighs 4.4 oz with the battery
-divergence seems ok and the dot is almost perfectly round with no artifacts

I managed to see the beam as soon as I turned it on because I was cooking hash browns earlier.
https://plus.google.com/photos/106605739907536732956/albums/6199987158420336801

gozert

That's pretty damn long for shipping. Your glasses don't seem to work very well because it looks like they're letting the green light come through. Did you get them from Rayfoss as well?

Tre

Yes I got the glasses from rayfoss, they seem to block about 90% of the laser light which would be bad If one was using a 1 watt laser that would still be 100mw going through.
If I had known that there would be a huge delay by the shipping company I would have gone for expedited. (it took over 30 days between rayfoss dropping it off and them sending it to the US!) At least it arrived undamaged and with the correct charger.

gozert

Assuming your laser is really around 30mW (although I doubt there's an IR filter on it), there's is not too much danger not having proper safety glasses. If you ever get a >100mW laser though, I'd recommend you to purchase Eagle Pair glasses. Those are really good.

Tre

For sure, I value my eyesight!
I hate to be a bother but I forgot to post in the right section, will someone move this thread to the green or reviews subforum?

here pointed away from camera:
DSCN2547.JPG

and towards:
DSCN2534.JPG

I have confirmed that it is indeed water resistant.
Edit- I have measured the divergence: 3mm @ 1ft 13mm @ 25ft Shows as ~1.4 mrad
http://www.pseudonomen.com/lasers/calculators/mRadCalculator.html
DSCN2553.JPG

one final update- I just managed to pop a balloon with this laser... I had the laser set on a box pointing at a sharpie spot on the balloon and it popped in under a second.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gabe

Wow, yeah that's pretty strong for a 30mW laser... Think you might've gotten an overspec laser :D 'Course, there's no way to tell without an LPM.

Tre

Wow, yeah that's pretty strong for a 30mW laser... Think you might've gotten an overspec laser :D 'Course, there's no way to tell without an LPM.

Yeah, I am just worried that it is a lot of infrared.
Not a laser to be shining around carelessly exactly.