Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

RayFoss 150mW for 64$!!!!

If you think this would be useful or "cool", then go for it.
Rayfoss is known for their lasers being close to spec and fairly reliable.
I personally either want a laser or a flashlight, not both in one. But that's just me!

Well if that laser is in or near specs then yeah it would be great but i would replace the leds with better ones for a better throw.

Anyone ever purchased from this company? I've had similar looking laser pointers that were horrible... Who says this will be 150mW when you get it?

I bought that EXACT laser before. In fact, I bought two of them. Except I purchased them here

Allow me to write a really quick review on this product.

The general feel to the host of this laser was above average. The threads where really fine, and threaded even and properly. When you hold it in your hand it feels very solid and sturdy. The crenelated bezel at the front was pretty cool looking if you like the look of tactical style lasers and lights. But the thought of breaking glass with it makes me laugh. It takes three AAA alkalines in series in a C sized holster. I'm 99% sure the driver cant take 10440 cells. Althought I never got a chance to investigate it.

I bought two. One of them for me, the other for my nephew. Really stinking bright, that's for sure. Unfortunately, mine burnt out. So I took it completely apart and found the heatsinking could have been alot better for the size of this host. When it burnt out, the outside was barely warm, witch means it wasn't (like all Chinese lasers) thermally managed correctly. I strongly recommend taking it apart right when you get it and use arctic silver or thermal grease, and apply it to the threads, and to the outside of the module, then put it back in. I didn't get a chance to try this myself, but I strongly believe this will dramatically help, or even solve its heat sinking problems.

The LED's are almost completely useless. Not only are the LED's dim, but to me, when I need a flashlight, that's definitely not the first thing to come to mine. In about a week one LED burnt out, then a week later all of them did. Later, I found that if you put pressure with your fingers on the LED board, it'd make connection and work again. I troubleshot and fixed this problem by re-soldering weak points. Luckily the LED donut is removable, and I doubt the + and - terminals that lead to it is a high enough voltage to power aftermarket LED's (R2, Q5, P4 etc), although I never measured it. Even if you could, it would just drain the x3 AAA batteries quickly.

The two buttons for the LED's and the laser are the same shape, size and color and are right next to each other. The only difference between the tow is a really small text.
So you have to remember where the laser button is. And its also a compromise in safety, you might think your going to point a light and somebody and accidentally discharge 150mW into somebody's face. Definently not child friendly. Although it seems to market to that age group.

I never had a laser with the "star cap feature". Before I bought it, I thought that star cap lasers where a joke, and are a waste. But when I screwed on that cap for the first time and shined it on a ceiling, I was amazed. In case your new to "star caps" for lasers, its a cap you put on the end of the laser, near the lens aperture. Once its screwed in, it divides the beam into about 200 smaller beams, and when you twist the cap, the beams move around. It was actually really really cool. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I also had 5 other caps from a different laser that where cool to hook up. I only recommend star caps to 532nm lasers, because green is significantly brighter than any other laser wavelength. And you need it to be bright because the beam is divided into 200 other beams.

At last, the laser itself. I'm kinda mad, because I gave this laser to my nephew right before I got a LaserBee; so I didn't measure the maximum laser output. But I can tell you that it is up there in the at least 100mW range. Once warmed up; I shined the laser from 2ft away onto my hand, I can immediately feel the heat. And my hands complexion is fairly white, so more light is reflected.

In conclusion, I would recommend this laser if you want a really bright tactical looking star cap style laser. A good gift to responsible friends and family members who aren't into lasers. But as far as practicality goes, I wouldn't get it because of the LED's, and the really short runtime. Once you get it, use thermal grease and apply it to the laser module.

cons:

LED's. Really, it serves almost no practical purpose.

runtime. three AAA batteries don't last very long.

over heats/not correctly thermally managed.

Pro's:

surprisingly bright laser output. 100mW~150mW.

crenelated bezel. That could be a pro depending on your taste.

removable star cap.

only $50

came with a nylon pouch that I never used.

Last edited:
Yeah, about the LED's I thought it was pretty poitnless, I was going to cut the LED button off, as wellas the LED's just to make sure it wouldn't be used as a flashlight, and the LED's to me make it look dumb. I'm probably going to buy it. also it says 150mw +/- 15%, which means it could be anywhere from 127.5 to 172.5mW's :)

Last edited:
That was a 'really quick' review? I'd like to see what a long in depth review would look like:na: