Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

"Ray Gun" laser effect help

Hi, I'm Michael and it's my first time here.
I'm from Australia.

My question I have is we are doing a dance concert on the 30th nov and are performing Rocky horror, and at the end i need to shoot everyone dead with a Laser gun effect.
Due to the newish laws here i am not entirely sure what i should use. It will be displayed thru a fair bit of smoke from a smoke machine, so could i get away with a 1mW red laser pointer, or should i look at a diode from jaycar and build something up myself.

I will prob never use it again, and don't want to spend a heap of money on it.
Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks, regards Michael

Ok, i basically want the audience to see a Beam of light, not so much a dot.
This will be on a stage with various other lights going, prob a few moving heads (around 250w/500w) and i'd say a few par's. Possibly strobing as well, I'm not sure.
Perhaps there is a narrow focused LED (luxon) or something else i could use?

Using LEDs is a great idea. You can find a whole bunch of really brilliant LED flashlights from your local department/hardware store. If you obtained a lens to mount in front of it somehow you could use it to focus the light into a tighter beam.

You could modify the flashlight to flash on and off or strobe, and if you got a bright enough flashlight, you could put a colored gel in front of it to change the color. Then you could mount the whole assembly in some sort of gun casing. Nothing a little ingenuity can't accomplish, for sure...

i doubt the crowd will be able to see the beam of a .5-1mW red laser even with dense fog

Green lasers are much more visible than red, so you could probably get a 1mW green module from the internet

A 5mw (or less) green laser has a beam that's visible in almost complete darkness even without fog....so a very low-powered green should be plenty visible with lots of fog. In fact, I have a 3mw yellow (much bless visible to the human eye than 532 green) and in a foggy dark room it looks like a light saber!