Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

raw led die

Encap

Encap, man. I dont know if i pissed you off at some point, or what. If i did, im sorry. I posted to the forum for help. I understand the premise of this idea is out there, but the ridicule you're giving me is unreal. I'm not lazy. I have been googling this specific topic for a few weeks now. I have been on this specific project, on and off for 2 years.

This site used to be so much more. I understand there's kids on here now, noobies coming in and not even making an attempt at looking through the forum. But, damn, you know. This is a pretty out there question.I asked for help. If you dont have an answer for me, dont reply. Thats fine to do.

Not that way--sorry you took it that way.

You said in post 3# "Yes, i knew it would come up, and you're all going to laugh. I want to use them as solar panels of sorts for a wearable."

LPF is a laser forum primarily and you question was not about laser technology--so I asked a few questions that didn't "ridicule" any more than you had done yourself already. I asked, as did several others, to try to get some info on what you actually want to do which you didn't want to reveal for whatever reasons unknown.

I did put a few links for you to try and help and to point out there are thousands of suppiers that can be easily found on google which I thnk is a normal comment---you had not indicated any seaching except on Alibaba. So my "lazy" comment--what else would anyone think?
I did make the comment about what you want not being available to try and point out the a realistic approach of using what is available might be better. If you have been working on this for 2 years, searching for weeks, and still nothing with nothing is still nothing, "what have you been working with?" is the maybe the better question. You're right is pretty "out there".

Anyway there are several 1mm square or less IR AlGaAs chips availble from many suppiers here is one: Infrared LED-Chips » LIGHT AVENUE.

Solar cells: NASA has given recent awards in solar cells to Micro Devices---maybe call them and see if they can supply something from sample production that would work or point you in the right direction See: MicroLink Devices, Inc. - Home

Here is NASA link about the spinoff of the company: https://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2016/ee_5.html

Good luck

Last edited:

hey everyone, im looking for a supplier for bare LED dies (dice?) a strange request, i know.

obviously, as a home gamer, i dont need 50,000 a month. and i need more than one or two, so requesting samples is out.

specifically i am looking for infrared GaAs chemistry. roughly the ones used in the 5mm size. i had no luck with hours of filtering and different phrasing on alibaba.

the other option i have been considering is to buy a cheap lot off fleabay, mount them carefully, and dissolve the resin to harvest the die. a considerable amount of research indicated methylethyl ketone soak for about a week might do the trick, but i dont want to get into anything more toxic.

Sorry I missed the point. Why do you need a IR GaAs die? :thinking: Please explain.
What do you plan on doing with them?

Last edited:

diachi

Sorry I missed the point. Why do you need a IR GaAs die? :thinking: Please explain.

Maybe they want to build a guidance sensor for a heat-seeking missile. :D

Last edited:
I've read every post and I'm still puzzled. It seems to be for charging batteries or driving something using solar power, but I have doubts about it's ability to do this. :thinking:

Encap

I've read every post and I'm still puzzled. It seems to be for charging batteries or driving something using solar power, but I have doubts about it's ability to do this. :thinking:

As is everybody.
Without him saying what, you can only guess about his imagined finished item and purpose from "home gamer" and "solar panels for a wearable" + wants 1mm square bare LED die/dice and that he is an end user and doesn't need any normal die business quantity of them---nothing else to go on.

Doubt you will get any real answer other than what has been said already for several reasons.

yes--building one the hard way just for the fun of it . :crackup:

I don't understand "home gamer" part of the OP--what would that have to do with anything in the real world?

Last edited:
Also consider flexible solar panels. They make some now that can be rolled up even. Without knowing more about the intended use noone can do anything more than throw out general suggestions. General information like "trying to make a solar vest to charge a phone" or "trying to make a solar tarp" would go a LONG way even on this laser forum.

I can help with that :p

heatseekingmissile.jpg

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Come on folks, it's not that outrageous. I've played with LEDs as solar cells or light detectors before. You can get a couple hundred uA from an ordinary 5mm red LED in direct sunlight. That would be enough to feed a low power bluetooth module or something like that. Add a couple of sensors and who knows. I don't find any of the current crop of wearables very appealing but maybe this guy will invent the next 'big thing'. I don't really see the advantage of GaAs over silicon being so great that it makes it worth it to do your own die bonding but.....

Benm

Sure leds can be used as solar 'panels' yielding very low amounts of power. This could be useful in some applications where you need to flash those leds a few times a day leaving them idle to collect power the rest of the time.

Generally leds are very inefficient as solar panels, but if they are otherwise sitting idle exposed to sunlght all day, why not?

Encap

Sure leds can be used as solar 'panels' yielding very low amounts of power. This could be useful in some applications where you need to flash those leds a few times a day leaving them idle to collect power the rest of the time.
Generally leds are very inefficient as solar panels, but if they are otherwise sitting idle exposed to sunlght all day, why not?
Agree, good points --LEDs relatively useless as solar power sources, which why they are not used in that manner.

How about these--seems like an OK viable idea maybe--is interesting anyway.
Scientists have developed thin, soft stretchy batteries and solar cells that can be applied to the skin like a band-aid. "Our batteries and solar cells consist of a tiled array of thin, millimetre-scale components, interconnected together with spring-like wiring," http://spectrum.ieee.org/view-from-the-valley/biomedical/diagnostics/forget-the-brick-this-power-supply-for-wearables-is-soft-stretchable-and-solarpowered

7418566-16x9-large.jpg

See Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences Article: Soft, thin skin-mounted power management systems and their use in wireless thermography

Last edited:
Agree, good points --LEDs relatively useless as solar power sources, which why they are not used in that manner.

How about these--seems like an OK viable idea maybe--is interesting anyway.
Scientists have developed thin, soft stretchy batteries and solar cells that can be applied to the skin like a band-aid. "Our batteries and solar cells consist of a tiled array of thin, millimetre-scale components, interconnected together with spring-like wiring," Forget the ?Brick?, This Power Supply for Wearables Is Soft, Stretchable, and Solar-Powered - IEEE Spectrum

7418566-16x9-large.jpg

See Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences Article: Soft, thin skin-mounted power management systems and their use in wireless thermography

I think you hit the nail on the head about why he wants
small 1mm X 1mm LED dies....

Jerry

Benm

Who knows, it could be interesting to check out how much power you can actually get from a sun-exposed LED during daytime. It may be feasible to store the energy in a (super)capacitor, i wonder how long you could power those leds from the stored charge.

I'd guess no more than a minute at full power, but maybe when strobing and/or at low power it could be a usable amount of time.