Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Rainbow dot?

The KES300A from the PS3 CD/DVD/BR drive. Has IR/650/405, one for each format.

Pinout:

pinout.jpg

Bog standard 5.6mm package, just with more pins:

KES-400A-Laser-Lens-Diode-5-PIN-Replacem46361310310.jpg

You can run both 405 and 650 at once for magenta, although at a reduced power for each.

Aaaaaaaand I need that:p

Thanks a ton for the info! Makes sense now that you showed what it's used for. Why use 2 diodes for differents disks when you can use one instead?:D

Maybe I'll make a build out of this sometime:D +rep

diachi

Aaaaaaaand I need that:p

Thanks a ton for the info! Makes sense now that you showed what it's used for. Why use 2 diodes for differents disks when you can use one instead?:D

Maybe I'll make a build out of this sometime:D +rep

Yeah! Had been looking at them myself a while back. Never had a chance to get one back when they were still new, during the advent of "cheap" 405s! :p

There were a couple of builds using these back when they were still new, did a quick search but didn't fine much. A more in depth search would turn up something I imagine.

Last edited:
Yeah! Had been looking at them myself a while back. Never had a chance to get one back then! :p

There were a couple of builds using these back when they were still new, did a quick search but didn't fine much. A more in depth search would turn up something I imagine.

It would probably just be easiest to extract one from a Ps3 drive rather than go looking for a source huh? Now I'm gonna be daydreaming about this build as well:tired::D

diachi

It would probably just be easiest to extract one from a Ps3 drive rather than go looking for a source huh? Now I'm gonna be daydreaming about this build as well:tired::D

Well, turns out it's your lucky day...

SONY PS3 KES 400A repair Laser Diode Five-foot three-wavelength laser diode,used | eBay

:whistle:

Used, but already extracted for you. Says they are used but functional.

I may look for a source for new KES400A diodes at some point, although not sure how far I'll get.

Last edited:

diachi

Well....WOULD YOU LOOKIE THERE! This build might be happening sooner than expected:D Thanks a ton man!

YMMV on those, but the seller accepts returns and says they are working.

You can seemingly buy the whole tray new if you'd rather go that route and extract yourself. :)

Radim

The KES300A from the PS3 CD/DVD/BR drive. Has IR/650/405, one for each format.

Pinout:

pinout.jpg

Bog standard 5.6mm package, just with more pins:

KES-400A-Laser-Lens-Diode-5-PIN-Replacem46361310310.jpg

You can run both 405 and 650 at once for magenta, although at a reduced power for each.

Oh, that's cool, diachi. I did not know such a diodes exist. Maybe the "white" laser diode is just matter of time. :D

Edit: Wanted to rep you, but I cannot yet. So, thanks for sharing that.

Last edited:

Radim

There is are 'white' laser diodes, but are not readily available yet. It is a sandwich of rgb again.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/07/150729101932.htm

Very cool, Oliver. I've seen it somewhere on internet already, but this is it - they are not comercially produced AFAIK. Just imagine how cool it would be RGB laser pointer for presentations in work (or school)?

"Hmm... What color do I feel today?"

Even portable lasers would be interesting, but not sure how they will handle higer power and beam issues to keep it nice and relatively cheap. But good for projectors, where it might bring prices and dimensions down as no complicated optics would be needed, just diode with lens and galvos. :)

Edit: Wanted rep you, but I need to spreads some more reps before I can.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Very cool, Oliver. I've seen it somewhere on internet already, but this is it - they are not comercially produced AFAIK. Just imagine how cool it would be RGB laser pointer for presentations in work (or school)?

"Hmm... What color do I feel today?"

Even portable lasers would be interesting, but not sure how they will handle higer power and beam issues to keep it nice and relatively cheap. But good for projectors, where it might bring prices and dimensions down as no complicated optics would be needed, just diode with lens and galvos. :)

Edit: Wanted rep you, but I need to spreads some more reps before I can.

Yes, they will be pretty amazing. Just control the power to each stack and way you go. It could be possible to stack them to create multi-mode versions. (I know, technically they're already multi-modes) But I think you get what I'm trying to say. It certainly would bring down the complexity of RGB systems.

That's ok Radim, I need to spread some around first too. :p

Radim

Yes, they will be pretty amazing. Just control the power to each stack and way you go. It could be possible to stack them to create multi-mode versions. (I know, technically they're already multi-modes) But I think you get what I'm trying to say. It certainly would bring down the complexity of RGB systems.

That's ok Radim, I need to spread some around first too. :p

Yes, I know what you mean. BTW: I'm interested if there will be some form of shared optical cavity for all RGB channels - it seems there are three separate cavities on link you posted. However I need to read through it fully. Also I'm not sure how separate channels would be controlled in single cavity setup.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
It depends, if they make them so they have separate pin outs like those ps3 diodes, then you should be able to control each channel. But if not, then we would have to use wavelength filters. It is essentially three semiconductor chips in one cavity. probably being driven all together with a standard pin out. :)

Radim

It depends, if they make them so they have separate pin outs like those ps3 diodes, then you should be able to control each channel. But if not, then we would have to use wavelength filters. It is essentially three semiconductor chips in one cavity. probably being driven all together with a standard pin out. :)

Yes, but I just wonder how they get the pins connected to separate channels layers in single cavity setup? If you consider dimensions of typical laser diode cavity...

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
It is state of the art technology Radim, or should we say magic. :p

Radim

It is state of the art technology Radim, or should we say magic. :p

:D Well, one smart guy told once that very advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic for those on lower stage of technical developement. Just imagine lasers in middle age for example - they would have burn you in fire for possesion of your collection. :D

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
:D Well, one smart guy told once that very advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic for those on lower stage of technical developement. Just imagine lasers in middle age for example - they would burn you in fire for possesion of your collection. :D

Lol, I would have to make a laser fort quick. :D Imagine if your laser art was found from the middle ages. :thinking: :D