Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

RadiantShades?

Hello,
Okay so I have a 5mW green laser pointer (peaked at 9mW) and soon I want to get a higher powered one, something around 50mW. I want goggles, but I don't want to spend too much as of right now (I'll get better goggles when I move up to higher powered lasers), so I'm looking at the RadiantShades.

I searched around and a few people say that it's probably the bare minimum. Would it be good enough to protect from a direct hit from a 50-100mW green laser? They say the OD is around 2-2.5.

Thanks for your help.

ARG

Yes - It will work for that. Just remember it wont block IR, so it would be best to put an IR filter on your laser.

Those goggles are usually just red laser enhancement goggles like these you can get cheaper on Amazon (provided you have prime), or other places. You might as well just buy the cheaper ones because they're the same thing.

The part that will suck about those red laser enhancement goggles is that it is a pain to see much through them. It is so damn red that it sucks to use them. I've gotten so pissed with the ones I've used that I've had no qualms breaking them when the shitty ear-pieces inevitably break because they won't fit right.

They're terrible, and really the only reason I'm going out of my way to find you a cheaper price is that it is such a waste of money to spend more than $10 or so on those types of goggles. I really hate those red-filter laser goggles.

The best thing would be to get some goggles like the ARG-filter goggles from OEM. Yeah, more expensive (~$80 before the discount we get in the Group Buy you can find the link to in my signature), but they'll work nicely for 445nm as well as 532nm, and you know you're going to want a 445nm laser some day.

Last edited:
Those goggles are usually just red laser enhancement goggles like these you can get cheaper on Amazon (provided you have prime), or other places. You might as well just buy the cheaper ones because they're the same thing.

The part that will suck about those red laser enhancement goggles is that it is a pain to see much through them. It is so damn red that it sucks to use them. I've gotten so pissed with the ones I've used that I've had no qualms breaking them when the shitty ear-pieces inevitably break because they won't fit right.

They're terrible, and really the only reason I'm going out of my way to find you a cheaper price is that it is such a waste of money to spend more than $10 or so on those types of goggles. I really hate those red-filter laser goggles.

The best thing would be to get some goggles like the ARG-filter goggles from OEM. Yeah, more expensive (~$80 before the discount we get in the Group Buy you can find the link to in my signature), but they'll work nicely for 445nm as well as 532nm, and you know you're going to want a 445nm laser some day.

Oh okay, it's just I was looking for a cheaper pair for now, and later I would get some good goggles.

If you buy the better goggles now you will save the price
of the RadiantShades...
It's like getting an $18.95 discount coupon on the better
Laser Safelty Goggles/Glasses...

Jerry

of the RadiantShades...

Jerry

Yeah, didn't think of that. I'm just going to buy some Survivallaser ones, thanks for your help.

I appreciate that you're helping to convince a new laser guy to buy good quality laser goggles, but please don't compare RadiantShades to the ones you just linked unless you have personally tested them. Radiantshades have fairly high VLT compared to some green/blue blocking goggles.

of the RadiantShades...

Jerry

$13.95 for LPF members ;) and it's not quite like getting a discount on the more expensive glasses because it means you'll have an extra pair of decent protection if you ever want to show a friend or want a pair you can beat around or carry with you.

Last edited:
I appreciate that you're helping to convince a new laser guy to buy good quality laser goggles, but please don't compare RadiantShades to the ones you just linked unless you have personally tested them. Radiantshades have fairly high VLT compared to some green/blue blocking goggles.

Ooo, I did not realize. Hmm, maybe the lower OD should've clued me in.

the survival laser pair are awesome, i have them. and i have to agree with MM while BB's link may be just as good... AFAIK NO one has tested them. the glasses MM sells have been tested... and depending on what laser and what power you are getting the radiant ones good be a fantastic choice because you can afford multiple pairs (KEEP YOUR FRIENDS SAFE) :beer:

$13.95 for LPF members ;) and it's not quite like getting a discount on the more expensive glasses because it means you'll have an extra pair of decent protection if you ever want to show a friend or want a pair you can beat around or carry with you.

Sorry about the price... I went by what was posted on your
website and what you charged for the same pair you sold me...:thinking:

The OP asked for one pair of Laser Safety goggles/glasses. If
he wanted extra lower OD glasses then there is nothing wrong
with yours as spares for others...

Jerry

Last edited: