Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Radiant Electronics is back!

csshih

Hello Everyone,

Last year, we purchased Radiant Electronics from forum members Mariomaster and Spyrorocks with the intent of continuing production of their popular budget "alpha" line, but we weren't entirely satisfied with the functionality (though it was a great product!).

We decided to continue developing what they were working on but never commenced full production with, and stick with that as our main product.

After getting a few key members on board. We're very pleased to announce the continuation of their X-Series line, the Radiant X4!

The Radiant X4 is what we believe to be the most affordable hobbyist LPM yet!

Please check out our FS thread in the proper forum - sales discussions belong there, and discussions about the LPM and future products should go here!

Welcome back!

If the previous Alpha is any indication to go by, you might have some trouble keeping these in stock.

csshih

Welcome back!

If the previous Alpha is any indication to go by, you might have some trouble keeping these in stock.

Probably not.
IrIyEz

Not pictured: whatever isn't pictured. :thinking:

:beer:

Craig

Im happy to see the x4 and lightspeed software available to the public now :)

Mariomaster and I always wanted it in the hands of hobbyists.

Wow thats a nifty looking unit and at under $100 it looks like a bargain! Going to have a look at what else is on offer...:) :beer:

Wow very appealing price, and so is the maximum power reading :D

Wish these came out before I got my more expensive 2W max LPM without data logging :/

Trevor

Mid-range utility from a product priced at 40% of the cost of the cheapest "budget" LPM offering.

Very happy to see this hitting the hands of hobbyists. :)

Trevor

I'm not sure if it's just me, but the download links to the datalogging software on the radiantelectronics website aren't working for me.

ARG

I'm not sure if it's just me, but the download links to the datalogging software on the radiantelectronics website aren't working for me.

Right click on it, open link in new tab, that worked for me.

Lots of features for a very good price. I believe this is the final blow to "the competition". A well deserved blow indeed!

I'm curious as to why the resolution is 0.1mW and the minimum recommended power 10mW. Does it give wrong readings below that or is the heat just too little to pick up?

csshih

10mW is the minimum recommended power to measure as thermal changes in the environment can cause changes in the readings.
This is the nature of all thermal sensors, even professional radial ones such as the Ophir 20C-A head, which is rated at a 20mW minimum.

Similar to the Ophir 20C-A head, the X4 can read lower than the recommended minimum power, but thermal changes in the surrounding environment can cause inaccuracies in the readings below the minimum rated powers.

I never understood the Ophir 20mW minimum either... I've measured lasers as low as 3mW with decent repeatability. Of course I had to close the room completely and wait some time for it to stabilize before zeroing.

They probably add that rating so no one will complain from the lower accuracy at that power level. Mine varies by about 0.3-0.5mW no matter how much I wait for it to stabilize, for a 5mW laser that's an error of 10%. it's still good enough to tell a 3mW from a 5mW :)

The radial sensors work fine at <20mW, but ONLY if there are no other thermal changes in the sensor's "field of view," and if everything is zeroed first. Your hand alone can contribute 20mW. I suspect they are trying to allow for thermal changes in the environment by that rating.