Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Quick Help Please DVDRW LASER

rebman

Hey guys, sorry if this is in the wrong area but... I started to take apart my old DVD-RW Drive and I am STUCK!

I took some pictures of where I am at, but I don't know which part I need to disassemble for the laser diode, or how to disassemble it. Does my DVD-RW Drive have 2 different lasers in it? Which one is which? What do they BOTH do?

6s5n9v.jpg

Is this where the laser diode is?

Or is it here?
whdz9.jpg

Any help please?!?!

Thanks,
Josh

i don't see a the diode, only the lenses in the pics. you might also want to consider resizing it

daguin

Trace back the copper ribbon cables.  They will be soldered onto the pins in the back of the diodes.  There will be either three pins or four pins (probably).  After you have those found, show us some more pictures.

Peace,
dave
[highlight]
**EDIT** [/highlight] What did this come out of? (model, write speed, etc.)

rebman

Alright guys, I found my laser diodes!

Correct me if I am wrong, but the diode with the heat sink is the red laser, and the diode without is the IR?

Picture:
IMG_0056.jpg

daguin

It looks like they may just be "glued" in place.  See if you can carefully twist or "lever"/pry the heat sinks free of the sled.

DO NOT do this by grabbing the pins!!!! Grab the heat sink.

Peace,
dave

rebman

I got them out, they were just glued in...

IMG_0070.jpg

Which one do I want, left or right?

Also, I do have a mini flash light I would like to put it in, but, can I run 3 aaa batteries to this diode safely?

the one on the left looks like an open can red DVD burner diode

rebman

These came out of an HP Super Multi DVD Writer.

Model Number: dvd940i-H07

Heres the specs on the drive.

DVD Read Speed: 16 X
CD Speeds CD Read Speed: 48 X
CD Write Speed: 48 X
CD Rewrite Speed: 32 X

rebman said:
I got them out, they were just glued in...

IMG_0070.jpg

Which one do I want, left or right?

Also, I do have a mini flash light I would like to put it in, but, can I run 3 aaa batteries to this diode safely?

Definitely not a good idea. Nothing is going to stop the batteries from putting out WAY to much energy. You should use a driver. You can make one or buy one but without it you are putting your precious diode at risk.

Make: http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1185701612

Buy at: http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1206947255 (you need about 6-12 volts)
or http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1209418066 (you need 2.5-5.5 volts)

--hydro15

rebman

Is that good? ;)

I am new to this all guys, what all can I do with this thing? I want it to run off 3 regular AAA batteries, if thats possible. What all will I need to buy???

I am going to put it in this housing.

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

daguin

I have to go to class, guys. This is a hand off ;)

Peace,
dave

an open can red is a very good diode ;) you will need a flex drive or rkcstr driver to regulate the current and a heat sink to keep it from burning up. also a aixiz module to house the laser.