Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Quick and Easy tutorial on how to view IR

Recently, i have been seeing a bunch of people asking how to see IR coming out of their laser. Well, here you go!
Equipment Needed:

* Infrared Emitting Device: This includes any Remote Control of a TV, a stereo system, any green laser with questionable IR leakage, or any other electronic equipment. The only necessity is that the IR emitting device like the LED/Diode should be visible. This includes most remote controls, and lasers so you needn’t worry.
* A Camera With A LCD Screen: You can use a video camera, digital camera, camcorder, webcam or any camera that has a LCD Screen. (including camera phone)

How To See The Infrared Rays

This is really simple. Now that you have the above equipments, here is what you do.

* Ensure that the camera is in capture mode. i.e. The LCD Screen should show you the surroundings.
* Now point the Remote/Laser so that the LED/Diode in it is within the range of the camera. Or simply point the camera at the LED in the remote. Caution, Do NOT point the camera directly at ANY laser aperture; aim just enough of an angle to either see the light coming out of the laser or on the surface hte light is being emitted onto.
* After this, simply press any button on the remote/laser to emit the IR Light.
* When you look through the LCD Screen, you can see the IR Rays as a blue glow at the LED/Diode on the Remote/Laser.
As long as you keep the button pressed, you can see the IR Light. Also, in a dark room it would be more distinct to notice. If you cannot see it in your camera, try using another camera. There was no problem with the Canon Powershot A550 I have and it worked instantly!

And you need not worry, this process won’t damage your camera or its lens (as long as you do NOT point it directly into the laser beam). Also, you can only see the IR through the LCD Screen and not through the optical viewfinder, so it works only on Digital Cameras/Camera Phones. Do try it and let me know if it works for you as well!

Best Regards,
Matt aka. bobobob121

So, just any old digital camera will work for this?

You just point it at the place where the invisible IR is being shined, and the little screen will show the IR as a faint blue smudge? Does anyone have any pictures to demonstrate this?

I'd love to try it out, but I don't have any remote controls or any IR emitting things to test it out with.

Kenom

oh ok I'm gonna make a quick clip to show ya all.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa2qXJ5yYtw[/media]

Those media tags never seem to work for me :( I just have to 'quote' the post and copy out the link.

Cool, thanks :) Now I know what to look for ;) (If I can actually find something that outputs IR that is...)

wow thanks for the tutorial. i saw purple light from my tv remotes. this is really cool, i amazed my mum ;D

EDIT: btw i cant see any prurple light coming from my kd50 im so happy! :D

Switch

Of course , you don't need an LCD screen.The screen doesn't matter.It's the camera that matters. ::)Some don't work because they're IR filtered so the IR will not mess up the colors, but I guess all camera sensors are sensitive to the NIR that our eyes can barely distinguish.You can use your webcam to align your DIY green's crystals if you don't have goggles. :D You can even see the IR LED from phones, if anyone has IrDA phones , that is.

LCD helps, it means you don't have to take a picture or video then upload it to your comp to see the IR.

Of course , you don't need an LCD screen.
Ditto above, far easier with a screen...not everyone has a camera with a video viewfinder, some have a viewfinder which are just lenses in a hole....where you could look into the IR directly....... if care is not taken.

Regards rog8811

Switch

You could set your webcam on live view and see IR , live on your monitor that could be LCD , CRT , plasma, laser( ;D) or whatever, the screen type doesn't matter as long as it's a screen.

Hi BOBOBOB121, What a great idea! I tried it on a 30mW laser I just got as a gift, but I know that it was purchased from DX. I tried what you said & lo & behold, there was the blue streaks just like you said. What a great idea that was & a easy way to find out if your lasers are spewing out IR along with the Green. Good Job man! KUDO'S TO YOU phoenix77

no problem guys, i just felt like sharing a little fact I've known for awhile that i thought people might find helpful when it comes to lasers ;)