Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

questions about NOVAlasers' "Alpha" series

ixfd64

I have some questions about NOVAlasers' "Alpha" series, as well as similar models, such as LucentOptics' "Envee" series and CNI's "PGL-III-A" model. (I'm hoping to get one within a year or so, but it's pretty unlikely since these things are rather costly - to a college student, that is.)

1. Since the "Alpha" lasers have a small (<1 mm) beam diameter compared to that of most other lasers, this implies that they have a higher intensity (output power divided by the area of the beam's cross section). Does this mean that the "Alpha" lasers burn better and have brighter beams than lasers of the same power?

2. NOVAlasers' website claims that the "Alpha" lasers have a <1 mm beam diameter while LucentOptics' website claims that the "Envee" series have a <0.8 mm beam diameter. Since these two models are the same, they should have the same specs. I was told that this was because NOVAlasers was more honest, but is there any other reason why the listed specs are different?

3. Some people have reported that the "Alpha" lasers have a beam diameter of around 1.2 mm. However, NOVAlasers' website claims that the beam diameter is less than 1 mm, and NOVAlasers' products are almost always within spec. Is there any explanation for this?

4. Since the "Alpha 125" is the most powerful laser of its series, any laser over 125 mW would likely be sold as an "Alpha 125." Since the "Alpha" series uses a 500 mW pump diode like the "X" series, does this mean that an "Alpha 125" could have an extremely high output, similar to that of an "X-175" laser? Has anyone ever gotten an "Alpha 125" with an insanely high output?

5. The LED indicator is placed in a rather awkward spot, instead of being in front of the button (like the "RPL" series). What do you guys personally think of this? Do you find it awkward, or are you fine with it?

1. Yup. Smaller beam diameters mean better burning. Better divergence means better burning at long range.

2. Different companies test things differently, maybe LucentOptics have a smaller diameter because they count only the most intense portion of the beam.

3. Above. People test things differently. Beams aren't like a piece of wire, you don't get a clear cut diameter.

4. They wouldn't come at such a high output, if they did they'd sell an Alpha 150 or something. You'd have to ask NOVA about getting an even more powerful one.

5. No idea, don't own one :)

btw, check out this one for sale. 140mW average alpha for $200 http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1216014036

murudai pretty much summed it up. My alpha did 145avg. and it was a GREAT GREAT laser :'( now another member of the forum is enjoying it, hopefully as much as I did. As far as the LED placement, it doesn't really feel awkward at all.

lol GooeyGus's alpha was my old alpha ..... so as you can see they keep their value and are dependable ..... plus you can pot mode them ...... the led was in a good place i like it better on the side then in front like my rpl but its probly safer in front of the buton like the rpl.... they are good lasers but in my opinion their to expensive for their out put and they will leave you wating more as this thing is all beefey but yet still seems weak as my dx200 (the AAA green version) out powered it but then again i did get one of the better dx200 as mine never mode hopped till i dropd it 8 times onto concrete from 6' withing 1 hr :p

all in all save your mone for an rpl or if you cant then the alpah will be a great leaser