Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Questions about CNI UV.

alf638

I was just interested to know if anyone happens to own, or have seen in action, a UV laser module from CNI. The link below will take you to the ones I mean.
266nm UV Ultraviolet laser.

If yes could you please inform me as of the price of the module (and its respective power;)) And also, as uv has a very short wavelength, its burning power:D
Thank you in advance and I look forward to everybodies input.

266principle.jpg

Based on this image (at the bottom of the CNI page) it looks like the 266nm laser could be some sort of DPSS derivative of a typical 532nm laser and they use a prism to selectively output the 266nm wavelength.

Think about it... the illustration shows 1064, 532, and 266 nm beams. perhaps They are doubling the 532nm again to make 266... or perhaps it already happens in green DPSS but in very small amounts.

HIMNL9

What system does they use, a q-switched 4th harmonic of a ND:YAG crystal with a tuned cavity, or a BBO quadrupler, for get a 266nm output ?? ..... i can't find this on their site, at least .....

I thought 266 was the ''third'' harmonic derived from a YAG rod..

HIMNL9

Uhm, no, as far as i remember about crystal resonators, the third harmonic is at 1/3 of the fundamental, so for a ND:YAG with 1064nm fundamental, you will have a second harmonic at 532 (frequency doubler), a third harmonic at 355nm (frequency tripler) and a fourth harmonic at 266nm (frequency quadrupler) .....

There are also some laser units that uses the 5th harmonic for generate 213nm, if i recall correctly, but they involve the use of an additional CLBO crystal, plus a nightmare and half in coupling and tuning problems, and they need you sell a lung and an eye for buy one, probably :p.

EDIT: i can't find back that link from my bookmarks (i've lost 80% of my bookmarks from the last crash), but i've found this one about a 355nm laser that use frequency tripling, if you want to see it.

Last edited:
I was just interested to know if anyone happens to own, or have seen in action, a UV laser module from CNI. The link below will take you to the ones I mean.
266nm UV Ultraviolet laser.

If yes could you please inform me as of the price of the module (and its respective power;)) And also, as uv has a very short wavelength, its burning power:D
Thank you in advance and I look forward to everybodies input.

The price will be very high.

Don't forget that very short wavelengths like 266nm can destroy you.
If you want an invisible burner use an IR that operates in CW instead.
IR won't give you "sunburns" and cancer.

Reactions: ped

alf638

Yeah, I don't actually plan to buy one (mainly due to the price), but due to the short wavelength I was just interested in exactly what "Burning tricks", it can perform, after all I doupt I could afford even the cheapest of them, so I was interested in just what the price would be (more to look at in awe than to actually consider it,at this stage at least;) Despite the dangers and high price, I would certainly still like to see it in use, imagine the fluorescence of the 200mw.

And HIML9, I found the link interesting and I think it is probably a frequency doubled 532nm.

Last edited:
some things that fluoresce with long wave UV do not Flouresce with shortwave UV.
It's hit or miss. We have longwave & shortwave wands at work and I've found longwave fluoresces most items better if at all.

Reactions: ped
Uhm, no, as far as i remember about crystal resonators, the third harmonic is at 1/3 of the fundamental, so for a ND:YAG with 1064nm fundamental, you will have a second harmonic at 532 (frequency doubler), a third harmonic at 355nm (frequency tripler) and a fourth harmonic at 266nm (frequency quadrupler) .....

There are also some laser units that uses the 5th harmonic for generate 213nm, if i recall correctly, but they involve the use of an additional CLBO crystal, plus a nightmare and half in coupling and tuning problems, and they need you sell a lung and an eye for buy one, probably :p.

EDIT: i can't find back that link from my bookmarks (i've lost 80% of my bookmarks from the last crash), but i've found this one about a 355nm laser that use frequency tripling, if you want to see it.

Ah, thanks for the clarification!

Yeah, I don't actually plan to buy one (mainly due to the price), but due to the short wavelength I was just interested in exactly what "Burning tricks", it can perform, after all I doupt I could afford even the cheapest of them, so I was interested in just what the price would be (more to look at in awe than to actually consider it,at this stage at least;) Despite the dangers and high price, I would certainly still like to see it in use, imagine the fluorescence of the 200mw.

And HIML9, I found the link interesting and I think it is probably a frequency doubled 532nm.

At 200mw, a beam at 266 would be burning more than you could see... or smell for that matter.

Do you know what it feels like to have your DNA shredded?

You might not feel it for months after the burn...

alf638

Exactly, cancer and damage but still i'd like to see one. How odd that anyone with money could get one if they wanted. Because its not a pointer it would even be LEGAL in my country (Australia).

And about the long/short wave fluorecence; Really, personally I dont know heaps (comparatively), about UV and fluorescence so I found that really interesting, thanks.

You can buy much more dangerous things for a lot less money. Kitchen knives come to mind.

Yes, a laser can hurt people from a long distance, but if you were going to commit a crime that involved hurting people, what would you use? A $5 kitchen knife, or a very expensive laser that needs to be plugged in to work, and might give someone cancer, or some vision impairment?

/me was bored and seen this thread linked on IRC, and since it's 5:30AM, and I'm bored, and can't sleep, I decided to post.

Reactions: ARG
No one is talking about using the laser to commit crime. You've got to consider the dangers even when used correcctly. Kitchen knives used properly are still alot more safe than high power UV lasers. When using a UV laser like this you not only need to shield your eyes, but you need to shield your face and skin.

We get sunburns from the small amount of scattered and diffuse UV that actually makes it to the surface of the earth. Generally from UVA and UVB. Well forget A and B... 266nm is UVC. It's actually so intense that it's germicidal and the mere presence of this light kills organisms.

Total AM0 solar irradiance is about 1366 watts-per-meter-squared. That breaks down to a "solar laser beam" which, if it were a typical 4mm diameter beam, has a power of only 17mW... of which a fraction is UVA/UVB/UVC. And here we are talking about 200mW of UVC.

HIMNL9

Heh ..... years ago, i had an accident with a 6W UV unit (one of my colleagues turned on a lithographic unit when i was managing the laser unit, thinking that the safety switches was all working, but they was not working correctly, and i had my little finger in front of the output coupler slit of the UV part) ..... i heard a *POP* and a damn pain on the fingertip, like an incandescent nail through it ..... then, blood everywhere (the fingertip "popped out" a bit for the energy received) .....

Now, i have a small scorch that remind me not just about the danger of UV lasers, but also to always not trust the safety switches, and always pull out the main plugs all the times i manage the inside of a machine :p .....

I really hope that none of you need a similar reminder, for use all the possible attentions ..... ESPECIALLY with high power UV units, but also with all the rest :p :D

Attachments

• fingertip.jpg
    fingertip.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 240

HIMNL9

Fingertip, yeah ..... just a bit more painful than for an hotdog (well, at least you can't see hotdogs jumping around bleeding here and there and dropping f#@€%#g saints, when this happens to them :p :D)

Hey after reading this threat I still have some questions about UV lasers:
So they are way more dangerous than IR lasers? just from reflections?
I heard they burn better than any other laser and are less reflected (wich is one thing that would make them safer than IR lasers I thought)
Are there actually UV laser diodes or arent diodes capable of UV light?