Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

questions about a 510 threaded build

I am planning on doing a 510 thread laser build for my variable voltage/wattage box mod. The heatsink I will use is from here

I just need to know if I can go without a driver. Since my mod is vv/vw can I just set the voltage to the correct setting for the diode, or am I better off just buying the complete laser driver and all?

the mod I have is a dual 18650 Cloupor GT

I am planning on doing a 510 thread laser build for my variable voltage/wattage box mod. The heatsink I will use is from here

I just need to know if I can go without a driver. Since my mod is vv/vw can I just set the voltage to the correct setting for the diode, or am I better off just buying the complete laser driver and all?

the mod I have is a dual 18650 Cloupor GT

That's not a good idea to go without a driver, your laser won't last long. Laser diodes require constant current, not constant voltage, they will draw more current as they heat up and will burn out, the driver will vary the voltage as needed to keep the current the same. Even if you don't turn it on for long at a time, without the driver the power will drop as the battery drains. It is a bad idea though to go without a driver, it can kill the diode and that can be very expensive.

Alan

Hi,
Crazy is correct don't go without a driver, those variables can cause problems with lasers some times. I have used a simple Mech Mod for myDTR 510's they work the best. my favorite is my side button vape mod.

Rich:)

So it will work fine WITH a driver as long as I have the voltage set within the limitations of the driver, correct?

Also, my mod has a 15 second hit time which I don't think would be an issue... 15 seconds is plenty of time for my uses.

What's the resistance on the complete driver/diode in a 510 housing? I'm sure it differs.... but can I get a ballpark? Might be out of the range of my mod anyway.

Last edited:
So it will work fine WITH a driver as long as I have the voltage set within the limitations of the driver, correct?

Yes this is correct.

Also, my mod has a 15 second hit time which I don't think would be an issue... 15 seconds is plenty of time for my uses.

15 seconds should also keep you within the duty cycle of any diode driver combination you might get.

What's the resistance on the complete driver/diode in a 510 housing? I'm sure it differs.... but can I get a ballpark? Might be out of the range of my mod anyway.

No, there is no ballpark answer to this, for the diode it will change slowly anyway once you turn it on, the driver will adjust for this. You haven't even said what driver/diode you will be using. The driver will draw a little more power than what goes to the diode. Most drivers will require 2 Li-Ion batteries, if it's a boost driver then just one. When the battery drops too low for the driver it will drop out of regulation and there will be a power drop, or it will start flashing, or simply stop working, depending on what driver you are using, but your battery or batteries should be capable of providing enough current, you don't need to worry about that, just don't use the cheapest batteries with a really powerful laser.

Alan

Hi,
Here are some pics of a basic 510 mech mod build.

Attachments

• IMG_1167.JPG
    IMG_1167.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1169.JPG
    IMG_1169.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1168.JPG
    IMG_1168.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1166.JPG
    IMG_1166.JPG