Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Question regarding lasers on an airplane.

Brodi

Does anyone know if it is legal to carry an laser pointer onto an airplane? I would like to have it in my carry on bag, because the last thing I need is a $200 to get lost if they were to "misplace" my luggage. I am traveling from Pittsburgh to Houston. All I am worried about I guess is if I go through the metal detectors and they find the laser pointer, ask why I would bring it on an airplane....and then I get the rubber glove treatment :(.

Chad

It's illegal, sorry to say. They can classify it as a weapon, and you know what that means nowadays. :p
You shouldn't have much of a problem with it in your luggage... I've had mine along countless times, and nothing's happened. If you really need to, I guess you could ship it to a UPS Store and pick it up once you get there. ;)

L4sers

Or you could try and convince them that you are a college teacher and going to camp in Houston while pointing at the stars teachin students. Ehh.. or just ship it to a UPS store near where your gonna go.

Ive done it a few times, and i have worried about it, trust me. I put my 125mw CNI into my pencil case full of pens and pencils just in case, and then put it in my bag, and this seems to have worked several times. Now that i think about it its probably a bad idea though because the xray would see a bunch of pens, and then a pen which has a bunch of electronics, batteries and other wiring inside of it :eek:

You could always check it in, like not carry it on the plane with you. You can check a gun in that way, so obviously you could with a laser. But if you wanted to use your laser in the plane...(which i dont recommend), you could probably just take the batteries out, stick a 5mw red sticker from a 3 dollar pointer on it, and youd be fine.

Why would you want to carry (or even use) a laser on your person on a plane in the first place?
For shining it at the air hostess? For burning some matches on the toilet? I don't get it.

diachi

Might want to point it towards the front of the plane ( out the window ) and make the pilots think theres a UFO behind them trying to shoot them down  ;D atleast they aint gonna get blinded with the beam  ;D

Diachi

DiachiLaser said:
Might want to point it towards the front of the plane ( out the window ) and make the pilots think theres a UFO behind them trying to shoot them down  ;D atleast they aint gonna get blinded with the beam  ;D

Diachi

One word: reflections ;)

just bring a small red 1mW with you and point it randomly around the cabin "on the back of other people's seats works well" and make people wonder what the heck is going on ;D

Call the company whom you are boarding and ask about their policy with lasers... WHy you asking us :p

if they ask for your name, make up one so they don't like arrest you when you try to get on the plane :D

yes, but don't leave the batteries in and be careful, some batteries will be confiscated because they can emit radiation.

xmtgx

bobobob121 said:
yes, but don't leave the batteries in and be careful, some batteries will be confiscated because they can emit radiation.
Radiation emitting batteries? eh

Anyway they always say they will confiscate lithium batteries because they can explode, and I've had them in my luggage and person countless times.

To the OP: Just call up the company and ask them if you can put them in your carry on. Worst comes to worst, you UPS it lol, or put it in your luggage.

Brodi

Some people are getting too confused about this, must have been my wording. I DO NOT PLAN ON USING IT ON THE PLANE, THAT WOULD BE JUST STUPID! I simply want to put it in my carry on bag, so I do not have to worry about loosing a $200 laser if they were to misplace/lose my luggage which has happend to me before when I went down to Georgia.

You're worrying about losing your bags and you're just worried about the laser?

Surely the rest of the stuff (and the bag itself) would be worth more than the laser. You can't get around it, so you may as well just cross your fingers as you get on board :)

Though, I figure, since lasers are small you could get away with taking it on board, where as you can't do that with the rest of your luggage. But still...

Brodi

I try to keep all my valuables/laptop/expensive things in my carry on bag (obviously). Everything else that I am taking is just work clothes and boots, stuff that my company would reimburse me for if the bag were to get lost. Like I said, I went through this before. I lost work clothes (which was reimbursed by my company) and my PDA (which was could not be reimbursed obviously, but luckily I bought a warrenty on it and got a replacement, all I had to do was show proof that my luggage was lost).

Actually, now that I brought up that PDA, mabey Wicked Lasers would replace my laser if it were to get lost????? OFF TO CUSTOMER SUPPORT!