Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Question on ebay laser pens

which color would you suggest starting out with then, a red, green, or violet (405nm)

and like 100 mW range?

A red(650nm) in the 100mW will be a good starting laser.

Do you understand laser safety as well? If you do I can recommend a few sites :beer:

I would suggest getting 1 or 2 of the 3 packs I mentioned, it comes with red, green, and purple and its only around $15

I would suggest getting 1 or 2 of the 3 packs I mentioned, it comes with red, green, and purple and its only around $15

He asked for a unit in the 100mW range :beer:

For about $40 you can get a good 650nm 100mW laser.

Plus those green eBay pens are over-spec and could maybe put his eyes at risk if he shines it around without being cautions(not saying he won't be).

Also needs to be careful with 100mW of 650.

by 100 mW, I did not mean a laser in that range, I'd meant to ask for your opinion as to what wattage you thought would be good for starting out?

Plus those green eBay pens are over-spec and could maybe put his eyes at risk if he shines it around without being cautions(not saying he won't be).

Also needs to be careful with 100mW of 650.

IR works just like a normal laser, but maybe with more divergence, if he isn't pointing it at his face the IR isn't a problem. Also for $30 you can get 2 3 packs and are pretty much guaranteed to get a 100mW is red or violet, and you get the other 4 lasers free :na:

Any wattage is good for starting, the lower the power the more you will be wowed when you get a higher powered one later on. Personally my first "real" laser (not the red ones from the $1 store) was a 532nm from ebay, just like this one, I estimate its power at 30-60mW, I took it apart and broke it before I got an LPM. My second laser was a 200mW(advertized) 650nm, and that one was great for the 6 months it lasted.

Last edited:

Zeebit

Those 3 pack from ebay can reach 100mw.

And so you can get 3 pens for $15

You worry about those pens being overspec and you recommend a 100mw red?

Those 3 pack from ebay can reach 100mw.

And so you can get 3 pens for $15

You worry about those pens being overspec and you recommend a 100mw red?

Did you not read the part of the thread where I asked if he knew Laser Safety?

I wanted to make sure he knew how dangerous lasers are before I point him to a 100mW 650nm...

ebay lasers are basically a gamble though

is this kind of what you meant by 3 pack though?

the main laser safety factors are

1) goggles on for anything suspected of being over 5mW (aka ebay pens)
2) don't shine at vehicles/buildings/airplanes/helicopters
3) don't shine at other people/pets

Last edited:

Zeebit

*cough*click*cough*

------------------------------

by 100 mW, I did not mean a laser in that range, I'd meant to ask for your opinion as to what wattage you thought would be good for starting out?

Those ebay pens are a good start . Once you get a feel for it you can get stronger ones.

ebay lasers are basically a gamble though

is this kind of what you meant by 3 pack though?

the main laser safety factors are

1) goggles on for anything suspected of being over 5mW (aka ebay pens)
2) don't shine at vehicles/buildings/airplanes/helicopters
3) don't shine at other people/pets

Most important for safety is maturity and common sense.

Last edited:

NO4H99

Ebay pens make very good first lasers IMO. They are cheap, high enough power to have some fun (and get you hooked), but not nearly as dangerous as a 445.

Just something that I wish I would have done. Try getting with a member who owns an LPM, order some ebay pens, have them sent to the member (and LPMed), and then sent to you. That way you know exactly what you have. I'm sure many members would be glad to do this for you, and it would only cost a few extra $ in shipping.

Also, a 100mw green for TheJoker would make an excellent first laser (if you want to pay a little extra for some added QC :)).

Last edited:
would green lasers be the "safest" to start out with, as they tend to be the brightest when compared to other colors at the same mW, which you think would make it easier to not do something stupid

would green lasers be the "safest" to start out with, as they tend to be the brightest when compared to other colors at the same mW, which you think would make it easier to not do something stupid

Well color won't determine if one is safer then the other. Unless of course you bring IR into the equation those are definitively more dangerous then lasers in the "visible spectrum".

I recommend you get that 3-pack indeed and just be careful around them.

If you follow basic safety rules you shouldn't have any probs :wave:

nm shows the laser's color. Out of all the most common colors blue is considered the best at burning since it can be had for cheap at high powers

Not quite. most people believe violet is the best laser for burning because it has the lowest frequency which translates to a higher energy density. many things come in to play thought like the color of the material you are trying to burn i.e. a red laser will not work as well on a red plastic cup as say a blue laser at equal power. also beam width comes in to play. most lasers beams are too big to be great burners at "infinity" because their energy density is just to low that is why people use lenses to focus them down to a point. things like cheap-o greens that are 50-200mW usually have a thin enough beam to burn by themselves. then again power is power a mW of blue is just as "strong" an a mW of red. hope this helps

Not quite. most people believe violet is the best laser for burning because it has the lowest frequency which translates to a higher energy density. many things come in to play thought like the color of the material you are trying to burn i.e. a red laser will not work as well on a red plastic cup as say a blue laser at equal power. also beam width comes in to play. most lasers beams are too big to be great burners at "infinity" because their energy density is just to low that is why people use lenses to focus them down to a point. things like cheap-o greens that are 50-200mW usually have a thin enough beam to burn by themselves. then again power is power a mW of blue is just as "strong" an a mW of red. hope this helps

Thanks for correcting me BlackWolf :)

I wasn't entirely sure. I do want him to get the best information available though.