Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

question about modifying psu

im trying to make a bench top power supply(actually going in a scanner) from an atx psu. currently i got the -12v(blue) hooked up to the dc on(green) to make the power supply come on. will i lose the -12v by hooking it up this way?

PS ON (green) should be connected to GND (black). In any case, if you connect -12V to it, you can still use the -12V for something else.

Correct! I couldn't have said it better myself. That -12V rail is very handy to have..

if i had a 10ohm 10W resistor that would be perfect b/c i already found that. i dont have that large of a resistor hence the thread i started in the BST section asking to see if someone had one. i dont need any other components and im not paying ~10$ to ship something that costs <2$... and no radio shack doesnt carry ANYTHING that large.

thanks fro the reply dr_ebert ;)

Last edited:
You could also use 10 1ohm 1W resistors in series (or other values in combo serial/parallel setups), if that's an alternative...

im still stuck in the same predicament though.. i dont have any and radio shack didnt have anything above 1/4-1/2w when i went yesterday so i would still have to pay 5-10$ for shipping. anybody got some to part with for cheap shipping?

I can check the frys by my house, and maybe ship with your heatsinks.

I use my power supply without any resistors, just shorted green to ground to turn it on. I use the stock on/off switch to power it on and off. It is working great to power my flexmod2 driver.

Last edited:
Drew;

Anything that puts a load on the 5 VDC supply will work.

A 6 VDC lamp or a large 5VDC fan is usually enough load.

If you still need the resistor, I can mail you one.

LarryDFW