Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Question about Eagle Pair

OK just thought I'd post this as many people recommend these glasses for use with both blue 445 nm and green 532 nm lasers.

These are the goggles I bought;
Laser Safety Goggles EP1 for 200-540nm & 800-2000nm CE Marked with Case | eBay

and this is the 5 mW green;
Firefly Product Details

Although I have recently bought a Laser bee usb LPM, I don't actually have it with me. So I thought a good way to demonstrate how ineffective these goggles are, even against a 5 mW green, would be to show how well they block the light when placed in front of the beam. I have 2 pairs of these goggles and both behave in exactly the same fashion. These glasses have an OD of 4 at 532 nm (Untitled Document) and should therefore only let 0.0005 mW through! I doubt that this would be visible, or as visible, as is clearly seen on the video....please correct me if Im wrong though...;)

Unfortunately I dont have a higher power green, so maybe someone else with these glasses and a more powerful 532 might be able to do some further testing.

I would just like to say that these glasses perform well with my 445 nm, ie I cannot see any blue light, but merely the fluorescence around the dot. This is in stark contrast to the 5 mW green where I can actually see green light through the glasses, when its reflected off a shiny metallic or white surface. My 445 is probably running at 1.6 W (1.5 A, 3 element glass and M140). As mentioned I haven't had access to my LPM and have therefore not been able to test it either.

Please let me know your thoughts....:beer:

Attachments

• Eagle Pair vs 5 mw Green.mov
    1,013.5 KB · Views: 515
  • 1203_untitled_028.jpg
    1203_untitled_028.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 649
  • 1203_untitled_031.jpg
    1203_untitled_031.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 550
Last edited:

Re: Caution Eagle Pair

The video wasn't working for me, but if it did let out a lot of light, they are fake eagle pairs.

Notice how on the goggles it doesn't say "Eagle pair, 140nm-550nm" or whatever is, that's because they are fake. If you take a look at the real Eagle pair goggles from Survivallaser they have the writing on top.

I believe there was a thread not too long ago about fake eagle pairs, and a veteran posted that they were fake because they didn't have the writing on top.

EDIT: Found it

Last edited:

Yeah they are marked, the guy actually mentions it in the description. It just doesnt show it on their ebay picture.

Ill put up a picture of the glasses showing the inscription "190-540&800-2000nm OD4+ CE"

OK thanks for the link had seen that one too, actually prompted me to post!:yh:

So anyway have now updated with pics.....

I believe the goggles are legit and hence my concern. Anyone else tried their eagle pairs with a green....?

OK thanks for the link had seen that one too, actually prompted me to post!:yh:

So anyway have now updated with pics.....

I believe the goggles are legit and hence my concern. Anyone else tried their eagle pairs with a green....?

Your laser that you are using is a 50mW (that's what it says in the link), so try and pop a balloon with it. If that works, try and pop a balloon through the goggles.

Mark the balloon with a black spot with a sharpie or texta, unless it's already black.

This is the second set of these *clone* Eagles I've seen so far. And they are both crap. I have an older set of the same style for Blu-Ray and they are the same junk.

Interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing a lot more of these fakes in the future.

Out of curiosity I just shined my 500mW+ o-like through a pair of OEM ARG goggles at the ceiling. Did see an extremely faint green dot. Obviously this is a visual estimate, but <1mW. Left a little mark on the plastic... barely noticeable.

Looking at the dot through the goggles, it does appear to be the yellow/fluorescent color same as with 405 and 445nm lasers.

Your laser that you are using is a 50mW (that's what it says in the link), so try and pop a balloon with it. If that works, try and pop a balloon through the goggles.

Nope its 5 mW. They have a 5, 10, 20, 35 and 50 mW verison of the firefly. This one is the 5 mW one. It even has a little sticker saying so.:D

This is the second set of these *clone* Eagles I've seen so far. And they are both crap. I have an older set of the same style for Blu-Ray and they are the same junk.

I guess....Odicforce were the ones selling these does anyone know if they are a reputable company or are likely to be selling clones?

I was hoping to highlight that these goggles should probably not be recommended to people esp. for 532 lasers. Newbies looking for a pair of goggles might be fooled/duped by the price (not exactly cheap, but not excessively expensive) and buy these for a powerful green, with possible consequences.... Thats why I was hoping to get more feed back from other users with the same googles.....

The real Eagle pairs are great, and is an excellent choice for somebody on a budget.

It just appears that the fake Eagle Pairs aren't good, which is to be expected. If you/others want Eagle Pairs, go to Survivallasers!

Nope its 5 mW. They have a 5, 10, 20, 35 and 50 mW verison of the firefly. This one is the 5 mW one. It even has a little sticker saying so.:D

I guess....Odicforce were the ones selling these does anyone know if they are a reputable company or are likely to be selling clones?

I was hoping to highlight that these goggles should probably not be recommended to people esp. for 532 lasers. Newbies looking for a pair of goggles might be fooled/duped by the price (not exactly cheap, but not excessively expensive) and buy these for a powerful green, with possible consequences.... Thats why I was hoping to get more feed back from other users with the same googles.....

Stix62

Interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing a lot more of these fakes in the future.

Out of curiosity I just shined my 500mW+ o-like through a pair of OEM ARG goggles at the ceiling. Did see an extremely faint green dot. Obviously this is a visual estimate, but <1mW. Left a little mark on the plastic... barely noticeable.

Looking at the dot through the goggles, it does appear to be the yellow/fluorescent color same as with 405 and 445nm lasers.

Also out of curiosity, I did the same thing with my O-like 500 greenie and a pair of these 'fake' goggles with exactly the same result. (mine weren't from Odiforce, you can get them 20% cheaper shopping around)
Yes, you can see a faint green dot (barely), and when you wear them how you should, you'll see the yellow/flourescent dot.
Call me stupid, but isn't that how they're supposed to work?

I have every confidence in these goggles, I don't see what the problem is. Sometimes when i'm setting up a LPM test, I have to peep over the top of the damn things to see if I'm centred on the thermoplie properly.
Obviously there are much much better goggles available (way out of my price range), but for a 'cheap' pair these are very good.

Any body with a 'real' set of eagle pairs want to do the same quick test?

I'm betting the results will be the same :D

I have 2 pair of these that I bought a few years ago from
an Asian seller. IIRC it was this one...

http://www.eaglelaser.cn/En/GoodsView/701.htm

There is an OD vs Wavelength chart at the bottom of the Page...

I just did a quick test with those same 190-540 & 800-2000nm
Glasses with a measured 98mW 532nm Laser.

Just looking through the glasses it seemed like only 60% of the
beam power was cut. The Beam profile looked bright green...
I didn't see any yellow/flourescent dot...:thinking:

Then I tested it on our Newport LPM.... the 98mW output dropped
to 0.2 to 0.3mW....

I'm not sure if the OP's glasses are IDENTICAL but they look the
same with the same markings on the left lens..

EDIT
I have another similarly looking pair of goggles but they don't
have the wavelength markings on any lens.

I just did the same test with the same 98mW 532nm Laser and
got similar results except that the Laser melted the plastic lens
on the unmarked pair...

I also noticed different Text Fonts on the Eagle Pair cases...
The left one was the 1st test and the right one was the 2nd
test that melted the plastic lens with less than 100mW.

37215d1332600328-caution-eagle-pair-eagle-pair.jpg

Jerry

Attachments

• Eagle Pair.JPG
    Eagle Pair.JPG
    236.8 KB · Views: 2,553
Last edited:

Garoq

I'll do a test with some of our stock when I get a chance.

I have noticed a phenomenon with some green lasers, that a small amount of light will pass through the goggles for a split second, then disappears. I don't know if the laser is frequency shifting, or the transmission through the goggles is changing, though the latter seems highly unlikely. The frequency cutoff for these dual wavelength goggles is pretty close to the nominal DPSS wavelength, so the laser wouldn't have to shift much.

The eye is so sensitive to green that even a few hundredths of a mW would probably be easily visible.

Then I tested it on our Newport LPM.... the 98mW output dropped
to 0.2 to 0.3mW....

EDIT
I have another similarly looking pair of goggles but they don't
have the wavelength markings on any lens.

I just did the same test with the same 98mW 532nm Laser and
got similar results except that the Laser melted the plastic lens
on the unmarked pair...

Jerry

Ok very interesting so it sounds like both the goggles do actually work on an LPM, even though visually it doesnt appear to. This would also suggest that neither of the goggles, marked or unmarked, are fake....:yh:

I have noticed a phenomenon with some green lasers, that a small amount of light will pass through the goggles for a split second, then disappears. I don't know if the laser is frequency shifting, or the transmission through the goggles is changing, though the latter seems highly unlikely. The frequency cutoff for these dual wavelength goggles is pretty close to the nominal DPSS wavelength, so the laser wouldn't have to shift much.

Yeah I was wondering that (the absorbance plummets just after 532), but can the laser stay there, if it shifts ie at lower frequency. I thought the DPSS process was quite stable at 532.05 nm due to the KTP doubling process. I guess I'll have to do some more reading on frequency doubling...

The eye is so sensitive to green that even a few hundredths of a mW would probably be easily visible.

This could also explain it...

I'll do a test with some of our stock when I get a chance.

:thanks: Ill do some tests too when I get to the LPM......:pop:

Hey LesPaul

I just saw you had a 5 mW green in your signature. Do you think you could do the same test as I did and check to see if you can see a faint green dot on a white background, when you shine the laser through your EP's. I'm curious to see if youll get the same result and it might help resolve the fake/not fake question....:beer:

Last edited:

OK, here's a little test I did on this stuff.

The set up is this: 1) Laserer 200mW 532nm metered by Lazerer at 217mW peak, with 10mW of IR, metered by me north of 200mW, mounted on a tripod, 2) LaserBee 2.5W USB LPM, 3) the Eagle Pair shown purchased from Survival Laser.

To try to stay within the duty cycle of the Rifle, I let the laser peak at around 160mW and then put the Eagle Pair glasses in the beam path between the lazer and the LPM.

The results speak for themselves.

Enjoy.

ecdff7dd.jpg

8c1b4026.jpg

Every dip to zero was when the Eagle Pairs were used in the beam path.

EaglePair.jpg

OK, here's a known 5mW 532nm (LaserGlow Galileo) through the same Eagle Pair from about 2 inches in front of the lens. I think Gary's thought is correct.....it's our sensitivity to green.

06d0e350.jpg

Just so we cover all the bases here's another test: 1) Known 5mW 532nm (LaserGlow Galileo), 2) Same Eagle Pair from above, 3) Same LPM as above.

You can see a very faint dot of green through the Eagle Pair on the video when the LPM is showing zero. Again, brings me full circle to our sensitivity to green.

Just for reference, I get NO green dot from the Galileo through these goggles: OEM Laser Systems TRI - KTP, 808nm, 980nm, YAG, FS 38, OD4-OD7.

I still think we are splitting hairs here. In all my tests, the Eagle Pair reduced 532nm from both 159mW and 5mW to ZERO on the meter.

GalileoEaglePair.jpg

Glenn

Last edited:

Excellent thanks for that. I noticed there was a still green dot on the sensor when the glasses were blocking the beam. This is basically what I saw too, albeit with a 5 mW. As this was below the sensitivity of the meter, mine should be too. So it would appear that our eyes are sensitive enough to see hundreds or even thousandths of a milliwatt of green!

I will still check mine on an LPM though, just to make sure. :beer:

Last edited: