Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Question about Eagle Pair

Re: Caution Eagle Pair

Ok, I added lots more stuff to the OP above.

Glenn

After my post last night I also did the same kind of "testing" (look at the dot through the goggles, and how it looks from the outside without goggles) with the two eagle pair goggles I have.

One set was from an ebay seller, another was from Gary. There are the 405-532nm only one regular and the wraparound version from SL.

Same exact results. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the result of sensitivity to green... I mean the goggles should pass through ~.05mW of green...

@ Glen

I didnt actually buy it, it was a present from some guys I helped out. They were sponsored by the manufactures and so didnt pay for it either! I know the price is unrealistic at £650 for 5 mW! I have been wondering if its due to the low min divergence of 0.1 mRad (focusable) and other specs, or maybe they are just hanging on to the old high prices of 532's??

Any ideas out there, why the fireflys are so expensive?

Heres the data sheet and a beamshot if anyone's interested and would like to comment?

Attachments

• FireFly_Green_Datasheet_EN.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 414
  • 1202_untitled_046-3.jpg
    1202_untitled_046-3.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:

It seems like the firefly may be for some sort of industrial setting where precision specs are important?

"Stable power without thermoelectric (TE) cooling
Wide operating temperature range
Powers up to 50mW
Linear modulation control or pulsed TTL control from DC to 50 KHz
Fast warm up time
Power stability better than 5% over full operating temperature range
Power stability better than 1% at constant temperature
Low noise version with better than 1% RMS noise

The new FireFly green range sets a new standard for industrial grade, green laser diode modules. A radically new design provides TE stabilised performance without TE cost and power consumption.

It is a self-contained laser that offers the user greater stability over a wider operating temperature and with much faster warm up time.

The inbuilt Laser Intelligent Control (LIC) electronics provide stable CW or modulated operation with automatic power control (APC), reverse polarity protection and over temperature protection. The LIC ensures a high level of reliability over time and temperature. The laser operates from a low voltage input 5 Vdc and a low operating current of 350 mA (Max).

The diode pumped solid state laser produces a large circular beam with low divergence and an output wavelength of 532 nm with powers up to 50 mW. For applications that demand reduced noise such as scanning and projection, a lower noise version is available that provides a RMS noise 1%.

The lens system includes a steering lens that ensures accurate alignment of the beam with the case and a focusing lens that produces a high quality spot over a wide range if distances. The laser has a
range of internal driver boards that provide either CW operation, analogue control or TTL pulse width modulation.

Supplementary lenses are available that convert the spot to a line or across. The lines of the cross can be adjusted to be at exactly 90°, even when the laser is mounted at any angle to the surface."

I don't think that I would let go of that one anytime soon!

Last edited:

It seems like the firefly may be for some sort of industrial setting where precision specs are important?

Yeah they seem to make a lot of alignment lasers. This one was being used to align a drive system in a new type of boat...

I don't think that I would let go of that one anytime soon!

Lol dont worry I wont! :yh: All I have to do now, is get some sort of host for it as its a module with leads...:undecided:

up2u

I have 2 pair of these that I bought a few years ago from
an Asian seller. IIRC it was this one...

http://www.eaglelaser.cn/En/GoodsView/701.htm

There is an OD vs Wavelength chart at the bottom of the Page...

I just did a quick test with those same 190-540 & 800-2000nm
Glasses with a measured 98mW 532nm Laser.

Just looking through the glasses it seemed like only 60% of the
beam power was cut. The Beam profile looked bright green...
I didn't see any yellow/flourescent dot...:thinking:

Then I tested it on our Newport LPM.... the 98mW output dropped
to 0.2 to 0.3mW....

I'm not sure if the OP's glasses are IDENTICAL but they look the
same with the same markings on the left lens..

EDIT
I have another similarly looking pair of goggles but they don't
have the wavelength markings on any lens.

I just did the same test with the same 98mW 532nm Laser and
got similar results except that the Laser melted the plastic lens
on the unmarked pair...

I also noticed different Text Fonts on the Eagle Pair cases...
The left one was the 1st test and the right one was the 2nd
test that melted the plastic lens with less than 100mW.

37215d1332600328-caution-eagle-pair-eagle-pair.jpg

Jerry

I can tell the right one is fake easly.

No prof. company would use such fat txt on their case.

Garoq

This is what I see looking through these goggles at the spot created by my 140mW green. I LPMed the laser just before the test. The dot is only slightly visible.

7050997119_8652c4da43_b.jpg

I also tried to measure something coming through the goggles on the LPM, but the reading was zero.

MadEye

Hey,

since I was also interested in this I decidet to order an REAL OD4 filter from thorlabs. After some experiments the result was pretty clear: The eagle pairs are at least OD4 or higher. I think you should not underrate your Eyes, here is a picture from a 5mw 635nm Laser (LPM about 4,3mw) through the OD4 filter:

This is 0,43 MICRO watt of 635nm light left. Still good visible at short distance. :)
scaled.php

Here is the filter:
scaled.php

So stop worrying, its totaly normal that you can still se the dot thorugh the glasses, if its not much higher then OD4.

-madeye

Last edited:

Garoq

Good post, thanks for the info!