Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Question about constructing my own pointer.

mfo

Hello LPF! I want to go on a laser pointer building rampage and you guys all seem very knowledgeable on doing so, so I have a question for all of you.

The first task I wish to construct is a blue pointer, and I found a module on eBay.

405nm 70mW blue laser module 3.2V to with adj. lens - eBay (item 380136120595 end time Jul-10-09 16:59:34 PDT)

My goal is to mount that inside of a mini mag flash light, and power it with a couple of AA batteries. My only problem is this, I want to stuff a small driver in there to protect the diode. I saw a kipkay project a while back where he pulled a dvd diode out of the housing, stuffed it in there and powered it with two AA batteries, and he didn't use a driver. So my questions are as follows.

1) Although it says 3.2V, can I power it with two AA batteries? (I'm guessing I just won't get the full 70mW like the description says)

2) If the two AA batteries are not suitable, then what do you recommend as a portable power source & what kind of housing should I use?

3) I'm pretty sure the lens included with this laser is acrylic, as most of the aixiz housings are. Should I purchase a glass lens for an additional $5?

4) It says it includes a driver, I'm guessing the driver is inside of the metal housing?

Thanks for your help guys.

P.S. Here's the kipkay project I mentioned earlier.

YouTube - Laser Flashlight Hack!

Last edited:

mfo

Hmm never mind, the forgot that 405nm is bluray, and this seems ridiculously over priced.

yea WAY overpriced.. all that is is a PHR-803t, (8-20$) and an Aixiz module, ( $4 ). and some driver, 20$

I wouldn't buy that lol

By doing a little research on the forum you could easily build (if you had a bit of
elctronic assembly experience) one of those 405nm modules yourself for under
$50.00.

The [Search] button is your friend...

Here is a start.....

http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/

Jerry

Those 5$ glass lenses are made for red lasers, they will actually decrease the power on blu-ray lasers. You need a Igor-T lense (50$ :eek:).

HOLLY CRAP THAT's EXPENSIVE

Hello LPF! I want to go on a laser pointer building rampage and you guys all seem very knowledgeable on doing so, so I have a question for all of you.

The first task I wish to construct is a blue pointer, and I found a module on eBay.

405nm 70mW blue laser module 3.2V to with adj. lens - eBay (item 380136120595 end time Jul-10-09 16:59:34 PDT)

My goal is to mount that inside of a mini mag flash light, and power it with a couple of AA batteries. My only problem is this, I want to stuff a small driver in there to protect the diode. I saw a kipkay project a while back where he pulled a dvd diode out of the housing, stuffed it in there and powered it with two AA batteries, and he didn't use a driver. So my questions are as follows.

1) Although it says 3.2V, can I power it with two AA batteries? (I'm guessing I just won't get the full 70mW like the description says)

2) If the two AA batteries are not suitable, then what do you recommend as a portable power source & what kind of housing should I use?

3) I'm pretty sure the lens included with this laser is acrylic, as most of the aixiz housings are. Should I purchase a glass lens for an additional $5?

4) It says it includes a driver, I'm guessing the driver is inside of the metal housing?

Thanks for your help guys.

P.S. Here's the kipkay project I mentioned earlier.

YouTube - Laser Flashlight Hack!

Lurk around these pages...get to know somebody and maybe they will build one for ya at a reasonable price.

cust11

HOLY CRAP! I have like half that much invested in my GGW build! Stick around here, you will find some amazing people and amazing deals!

-Mike