Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Question about Blue 1W eBay laser and is it worth it?

Hey there,

I'm just starting this hobby, having had a couple of 5mw lasers and a 58-100mw Laser 303 is on its way. I keep seeing this one laser on eBay, and it looks pretty good, and because it's an average of $50 it seems like it may be better than some cheapies that eBay is known for. It's advertised as 1Watt, but even if it is 500mw I'd be happy with it. I already have batteries.

So, has anyone heard of this laser, even had one? Is it worth it?

Thank You!

the laser's link:

1W High Power Military 450nm Blue Beam Light Laser Pointer Pen Lazer Cap | eBay

Hey there,

I'm just starting this hobby, having had a couple of 5mw lasers and a 58-100mw Laser 303 is on its way. I keep seeing this one laser on eBay, and it looks pretty good, and because it's an average of $50 it seems like it may be better than some cheapies that eBay is known for. It's advertised as 1Watt, but even if it is 500mw I'd be happy with it. I already have batteries.

So, has anyone heard of this laser, even had one? Is it worth it?

Thank You!

the laser's link:

1W High Power Military 450nm Blue Beam Light Laser Pointer Pen Lazer Cap | eBay

You MUST wear laser safety glasses if you plan to use this laser, it may not look all that bright, but if you burn things up close it's like looking at a welders arc in that the intensity of the 445nm light will damage your retinas.
Only about 2% of your eyes light sensing ability is geared towards blue light, so it's brighter than it looks, also your eyes light sensing nerves do not bleach out to protect themselves from blue light like they do from white light, so you can do damage fast and you can do chemical damage that may not show up until the next day, so for the sake of your eyesight buy and wear the laser safety glasses that block blue light.

Photochemical damage of the retina. - PubMed - NCBI

The laser you are looking at may be ok or it may have an acrylic lens and plastic body parts, you can give it a try, but I would rather spend a little more and get something I know will be good.

But even the old 1 watt laser diode is enough to blind you faster than you can blink, never point it anywhere you don't what a beam to go, treat it like a loaded gun, because one oops and shine it into someone's eye and they can have a lifetime disability and you will be responsible.

Yes several people here have bought that laser and seem to be satisfied with it. It is however a cheap chinese made laser though, so don't expect too much.

Alan

I met a guy at a party that was super excited about his 1W 445. It was a cheap ebay laser like that one. The laser barley emitted any light. It had an acrylic lens that was terribly melted. I tried to discuss quality and safety but he was drunky know it all. The conversation didnt last too long. Even my GF was telling him to listen to me... Sorry tangent story but the laser was crap!
Get quality glasses!!!!!!!
do it once and do it right is my motto for ANY equiptment.

Any recommendations for a laser that will last?

Check out laserbtb or jetlasers, the PL-E Pro series is a highly recommended laser set. But there are also B/S/T threads, and other places to get nice lasers.

As for the eBay laser, I have owned it for a while now and I'd say it's about 750mw. Not sure if the one you're talking about is the one I got, sure it's cheap but it's what pushed me to go forward with this hobby :D it still works as good as it did when I bought it and focuses/burns really well, but the divergence is kinda crap.

Also keep in mind I bought it before I even joined LPF :p

EDIT: just went through the eBay post you linked, it looks like the exact some one I've got

Last edited:
Any recommendations for a laser that will last?

Yes, just buy parts and learn to build your own, that way you know exactly what's in it and how it's put together and you can fix it if it breaks. No cheap Chinese garbage that's churned out on an assembly line with no quality control with nonstandard parts and epoxied together so nothing can be fixed or reused if it breaks.

Alan

Buy from Sci fi-contact TheJoker.
or
Sanwu-contact Podo.
- those 2 guys have excellent customer service and stand by their product 110%.
To build your own laser:
step 1: get a laser module from DTR.
step 2: for host contact Ehgemus or Sinner.
step 3: contact Garoq from survival laser for a certified pair of safety goggle.
step 4: get high quality batteries from LarryDFW.
step 5: Post a picture of your build on the forum and earn something.

Well, if it worked for someone, then I may find one with a good return policy and try it out. Thanks for sharing your info. I imagine I'll get a higher quality one some day.

Yes, just buy parts and learn to build your own, that way you know exactly what's in it and how it's put together and you can fix it if it breaks. No cheap Chinese garbage that's churned out on an assembly line with no quality control with nonstandard parts and epoxied together so nothing can be fixed or reused if it breaks.

Alan
Doesn't seem like lasers are as hard to build as they could sound. Nowhere near like building a circuit, I imagine. I'm working on building a 50mw handheld, maybe I'll get some experience from that before undertaking something like a 1-2Watt.

Doesn't seem like lasers are as hard to build as they could sound. Nowhere near like building a circuit, I imagine. I'm working on building a 50mw handheld, maybe I'll get some experience from that before undertaking something like a 1-2Watt.

Yes you can buy off the shelf parts where the hard part is already done for you, or it can be very do it yourself or somewhere in between. It can be as simple as soldering two pairs of wires and assembling a few parts or it can be far more complex. If you have no electronics experience and knowledge then start out with something easy and work your way up, be careful though, you may have a big and expensive disappointment or two but you shouldn't let that discourage you too much.

Alan

Yes you can buy off the shelf parts where the hard part is already done for you, or it can be very do it yourself or somewhere in between. It can be as simple as soldering two pairs of wires and assembling a few parts or it can be far more complex. If you have no electronics experience and knowledge then start out with something easy and work your way up, be careful though, you may have a big and expensive disappointment or two but you shouldn't let that discourage you too much.

Alan
I need to find my soldering iron...

I've torn apart hundreds of electronics as a kid, tearing metal casing to bits along with my hands. I've torn apart and reassembled computers and various other devices. My point is, I should have no trouble assembling some lasers, in fact, it sounds like fun. XD

You MUST wear laser safety glasses if you plan to use this laser, it may not look all that bright, but if you burn things up close it's like looking at a welders arc in that the intensity of the 445nm light will damage your retinas.
Only about 2% of your eyes light sensing ability is geared towards blue light, so it's brighter than it looks, also your eyes light sensing nerves do not bleach out to protect themselves from blue light like they do from white light, so you can do damage fast and you can do chemical damage that may not show up until the next day, so for the sake of your eyesight buy and wear the laser safety glasses that block blue light.

Photochemical damage of the retina. - PubMed - NCBI

The laser you are looking at may be ok or it may have an acrylic lens and plastic body parts, you can give it a try, but I would rather spend a little more and get something I know will be good.

But even the old 1 watt laser diode is enough to blind you faster than you can blink, never point it anywhere you don't what a beam to go, treat it like a loaded gun, because one oops and shine it into someone's eye and they can have a lifetime disability and you will be responsible.

I've been looking at goggles. The green color lenses seem made for the blue/violet laser range, am I correct? Thanks.

Encap

You can get some excellent quality kits that are easy to put together and have very complete and good instructions here: No-Diode Host Bundles

Also very good laser goggle are available on same site: Safety

and excellent batteries AW brand : Batteries and Chargers

All you need other than one stop at Survival is pick a diode you want ---at DTR's https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home

SciFi lasers, an LPM member, offers some great kits complete with diode at very affordable prices: 1W 445nm blue complete kit for $69.95 http://www.sflasers.com/501B_DIY_Complete_Kit/p2035127_14425524.aspx

Last edited: