Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Question about a blue >1W, laser pointer.

Hi all.
It is my first post to your forum,so I salute you.
Yesterday,I received a blue laser pointer,SHARP EAGLE ZQ-LA-301 445nm 5MW Laser Pointer, declared as having 1300-1500 MW. SHARP EAGLE ZQ-LA-301 445nm Blue High Power Buring Laser Pointer Sale - Banggood.com .
I began trying it,but while it has a decent beam in the night sky,when I try to burn a piece of paper with this,it says no.
I use 2 X 16340 Olight batteries.
Has someone any idea about this laser pointer please?

Razako

Hmm. Looks like they stuffed a 445nm into a laser 301 host. It's actually pretty hard to light paper on fire. It works better with certain types of paper and you need the focus just right on your laser. Too tight and you burn through the paper without it catching fire. Too spread out and the energy density is too low.

If you don't have laser safety goggles I recommend you get some immediately before messing around much with that laser. That thing can cause eye damage instantly if you mess up.

Last edited:
Hmm. Looks like they stuffed a 445nm into a laser 301 host. It's actually pretty hard to light paper on fire. It works better with certain types of paper and you need the focus just right on your laser. Too tight and you burn through the paper without it catching fire. Too spread out and the energy density is too low.

If you don't have laser safety goggles I recommend you get some immediately before messing around much with that laser. That thing can cause eye damage instantly if you mess up.
Thank you for your response.
I am new comer to lasers,so I have to learn many things.
I tried to burn also,a plastic wrapping piece,and a scotch tape,but there was not any fire,not even smoke.I tried to focus the beam on the paper,but nothing .After some seconds,I sensed that the temperature of the host went up,and so I stopped playing.
And of course,I wear the red goggles which I bought together with the laser ,which I see they are OK.

Razako

Thank you for your response.
I am new comer to lasers,so I have to learn many things.
I tried to burn also,a plastic wrapping piece,and a scotch tape,but there was not any fire,not even smoke.I tried to focus the beam on the paper,but nothing .After some seconds,I sensed that the temperature of the host went up,and so I stopped playing.
And of course,I wear the red goggles which I bought together with the laser ,which I see they are OK.
Maybe post a video or some pictures of the laser in use if you can.
A true 1500-2000mw laser should burn stuff like crazy when focused.
https://youtu.be/W6ve9XxLFXo
This is my 2W 450nm laser in action.

welcome to the forum:)

it might be that your laser is under-powered, did the laser came with a powergraph?

I wasted my money on a green one a while back. Lol it will light matches but only if I loosen the focus ring as far as it will go and use a black marker on the tip of the match but yea you def wanna wear safety glasses if your are looking at it close enough to try and burn stuff

Razako

Here's a pretty simple power check for your laser. Get some black newspaper or other black paper. Fully charge the batteries, and then focus your laser down to a tiny dot on the paper. If it STILL can't even burn a hole through the paper you've got an underspec laser on your hands.

Reactions: GSS
It may have been better if you had joined LPF THEN find a better laser to buy--by checking the reviews--

ALSO IMHO your first thread SHOULD have been an 'into' of yourself and place it in the WELCME section==
LAST -you failed to complete your personal profile-so your location does not appear under your username --(just ONE of my pet peeves) had you done all that- a member close to pour location who owns a LPM would have offered to meter your laser for free-a longstanding tradition here.

I suspect that you unaware of the diff between burning white paper VS black--
coz white reflects it does not burn nearly as easily as black or 'sharpied' objects.
That includes matches balloons etc.
Distance between has an effect and by using a magnifying glass you can increase the burn rate..

I have a +7 rep bump waiting for you once you finish your profile and make a nice intro thread--hak

Last edited:
I complete some info there.I came at once writing the post,because I think that if the laser pointer is not as they say it is,I could return it to the store.So,I was in a hurry.
As for the distance,I went real close,wearing of course the red goggles.

Here's a pretty simple power check for your laser. Get some black newspaper or other black paper. Fully charge the batteries, and then focus your laser down to a tiny dot on the paper. If it STILL can't even burn a hole through the paper you've got an underspec laser on your hands.

False alarm.:)
I thank you very much for your suggestion Razako.I took some black wrapping plastic and the laser burned it at once,even not focused well.When I focused,it burned a hole through the plastic at light speed! Bingo.
Thank you again,
Theodore.