Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Quantum Physics Newbie

DavidN

Hey Guys,

My name is Dave and Im into molecular absorption. Im in the process of looking for a supplier for a 200mw lasers in the US since it seems that others cant ship into country. Ive been brousing on your site for a month now and decided to join.

I can say I have enjoyed the threads and if anyone else is into organics or spectroscopy absorption, please look me up.

Also if you can help me on an inexpensive supplier I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks again.:thinking:

anselm

Hello and welcome to the forum!:wave:

Somewhere on this forum there is a member into similar stuff as you are, I remember
reading. But I just don't remember his name right now....:undecided:

You can buy reasonably good quality laser that are not overpriced at rayfoss and o-like.

DavidN

Thanks for the info. I havent found anyone into the same, but its nice know they are here. Please let me know if you run across them again. Thanks again.

I think you are talking about member, Protozoa.

Welcome to LPF btw! :beer:

What wavelength are you looking for?

DavidN

i would like to get around 445nm and 532nm with around 200mw power. Just need enough power to burn for demo purposes only. I am also looking for different optics to demonstate the amount of species absorption using tunable diode lasers.

HIMNL9

Uhm, i think you may have some difficult in finding tunable laser diodes at "human" prices ..... maybe ACA or VMZ configurations, but as far as i know (and i'm not so expert in this) they have something like 60nm or similar of tuning range, not too much ..... or you can try to "tune" the diode using a peltier cell and changing its temperature, but i don't know how much this can be stable, without a feedback system for the peltier driver that includes a spectrometer ..... or maybe electrically tunable laser diodes .....

It's probably more easy that you find external tunable cavities systems, like the ones that some sellers have in their catalogs (thorlabs, just as example), but still at "inhuman" prices, imho .....

Last edited:

DavidN

yea, its not a problem. The one i work with actually operates in the NIR and IR spectrum which is sinusoidally modulated with an angular frequency and controlled by a peltier cooler. The lasers im looking for at this point is really only for "visual" purposes intended to teach others the theory behind the technology. If I used an IR diode I would have to get a camera, filter, etc.. this would be the simplest. Also it would maximize my safety aspect since all I would need is goggles per WLM per client.

DavidN

Does none of these companies have live chat or phone #'s to call? It seems they make it difficult to get questions answered. I really needed to order some lasers today.. Any suggestions?

what questions do you need answered. from the recommended websites members here can pretty much answer your questions, unless it is regarding shipping or something unlaser related.

michael.

HIMNL9

I suggest you to use the edit button, for add to a post, before some of the admins scold you ;p

Anyway, i suppose that for your purpose (visual for demonstration), a red or blue diode with a peltier mount assembly is the better solution ..... green DPSS ones usually don't change their wavelenghts when heated and cooled, they simply stop to work ..... where instead you can probably arrange a thermally tuned setup with a diode, without the need to sell an eye and a lung for pay it (;)), if all that what you need is a demo unit .....

Different is if you need a labby unit with precise wavelenght control and stabilization, but if the assembly is just for a demo ..... i suppose you can use a red diode from an LPC815 or SF-AW210 sled , at around 200 / 250 mW, and arrange a stabilized TEC mount assembly for made some inexpensive experiments at different temperatures, and check if the tuning range is enough for the use you need ..... more you cool them, more you decrease the wavelenght ..... (until a certain limit, ofcourse :p)

Last edited:

DavidN

I suggest you to use the edit button, for add to a post, before some of the admins scold you ;p

Anyway, i suppose that for your purpose (visual for demonstration), a red or blue diode with a peltier mount assembly is the better solution ..... green DPSS ones usually don't change their wavelenghts when heated and cooled, they simply stop to work ..... where instead you can probably arrange a thermally tuned setup with a diode, without the need to sell an eye and a lung for pay it (;)), if all that what you need is a demo unit .....

Different is if you need a labby unit with precise wavelenght control and stabilization, but if the assembly is just for a demo ..... i suppose you can use a red diode from an LPC815 or SF-AW210 sled , at around 200 / 250 mW, and arrange a stabilized TEC mount assembly for made some inexpensive experiments at different temperatures, and check if the tuning range is enough for the use you need .....

I will make this short then open a discussion in general to be polically correct. I do not have any of the meters, or gear to do this from scratch at this point due to my lab being in Houston which is 5 hours away. To get up to speed I was going to purchase some mirrors, flashlight or tourch type pointer (around 200mw)with some sort of multi functional operation to allow for more continous wave time (1 -3 minutes) mounted on tripods so that I could triagulate around the theroy room.

It seems that for a newbie to find a laser that is relatively inexpensive, still around 200mw, ship to the US, with telephone support, and reputable is not an easy task especially since I wanted to order today. Basically that was my question which I can tell has been asked so many times on this site but since I am new its a little difficult to tell which is good advise unless it comes from a seasoned member. Anyway that was my final concern or "question". Then I intend on moving to the appropriate forum..:evil::thanks:

I have a 455nm laser for sale in the link at the end of my signature. It puts out 1.1W but can be easily turned down. I also have some front sided mirrors you can experiment with. I live in the US and can ship next day. Let me know.