Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

[Q] What host should I buy for a M140 diode?

I want to buy a M140 diode with a copper module and the boost driver from DTR's Lasers Shop but before I should buy a host for the module but I don't really know what to search for.

My requisites are the following:
- I don't want a beast that weights more than 0.5kg. :D
- It has to coat less than 50$ (40€~) :(
- I woould prefer to use a 18650 battery but there isn't any problem to use a different one. :takeit:
- Oh! The vendor has to be able to ship internationally.

This is going to be my first build.

:thanks:

Add your location to your profile before asking where to buy something.

I would recommend one of the Survival Laser hosts: Survival Laser International Home unfortunately they are out off the S4 and C6 hosts for about another 2 weeks, the stainless steel host may be too expensive for you but is also a good choice, just buy any of their 3 hosts: Host Assemblies the C6 isn't listed there at the moment but they will have them back soon, they are the cheapest one of the 3. You will also need this pill and contact board assembly: DIY Battery Contact Board & Pill Module then you will have everything you need, all you will have to do is solder together 2pairs of wires and assemble some parts. I would also suggest buying an extended focus ring: Extended Length Focusing Ring - Blue Anodized so you can avoid getting your fingers in contact with the beam but this is not required. Also be careful screwing the parts together in the right order the first time or you will twist your wires and break something. Good luck on your first build.

Now go to the welcome area and post a welcome thread and tell us a little about yourself. Welcome to LPF.

Alan

The 520nm green lasers are so much brighter than blue, I'd consider building that instead, more expensive but well worth it. However, building with a far less expensive blue diode to start isn't a bad idea, if something goes wrong with the build, you don't loose as much money to replace the diode:

Here's one I'd like to get someday, or its big brother capable of 1.3 watts: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/ndg-700mw-520nm-laser-diode

The 520nm green lasers are so much brighter than blue, I'd consider building that instead, more expensive but well worth it. However, building with a far less expensive blue diode to start isn't a bad idea, if something goes wrong with the build, you don't loose as much money to replace the diode:

Here's one I'd like to get someday, or its big brother capable of 1.3 watts: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/ndg-700mw-520nm-laser-diode

Green is a great color but I think blue is a bit unusual for lasers and I also heared that blue isnearer tu UV light so objects are heated more with blue/violet.
And why would I want tu buy a 300$ green diode when I can buy a 1W m140 blue one for unly 50$?

I started out with blue 445nm diodes myself, but once I saw how much brighter green is, I now believe green is the way to go, if you don't mind spending the extra money.