Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pushing the envelope of the duty/rest cycle'

^^ good point- yes that too.
And Dave's take on the laser that never gets hot must have been an eye opener for many- anything putting out that much energy MUST get hot-

anyone hear the phrase
'drive it like you stole it'
or dont drive it like you stole it,

either way its not how long it is when its hard it how long it is hard.
oops was thinking of something else there..

point is you paid for it (not stolen) so treat is as such. (or not-)

I will not be buying any lasers from those who like to torture any of thiers.

hk

I agree with you hak, jetlasers goes crazy on those vids, not needed except to make a marketing point about their quality. last I checked their website says unlimited duty cycle but 7 minutes recommended. I'll be getting a dominator from Blord, with the massive copper, not aluminum heat sink. granted it's driver harder than most 445nms, but even it has a 5 min duty cycle, not unlimited. Unless you like blowing money on new diodes, be nice to your lasers:D

IsaacT

Yeah, I am looking forward to having a high powered 532nm(800mW) in a few months(CNI please hurry, I am dying of impatience!!!) and I can tell you right now I am going to drive that baby like worked my ass off for it.....cause I did. That is 2 weeks of work; I refuse to piss 2 weeks of work down the drain.

Spooky

Just doing a few numbers and Duty Cycles *should* be an exact science,

Fouriers Law of Heat Conduction will give the required figures so long as the sinks material and properties are known (along with airflow) add Newtons Law of Cooling (The rate of heat loss of a body is proportional to the temperature difference between the body and its surroundings.)
and you get a nice curve of temperature over time (assuming either Conduction,Convection or Radiation)

If the failure temperature of the diode is known it should be pretty easy to work out how long you can run and stay within the fail points (cold or hot) (It's a pretty simple first-order differential equation)

I don't remember the name of the person to reference but the quote goes something like " You cannot heat an object in still air and assume that heat will radiate into a parallel universe"

best wishes

Dave

Last edited:
Just doing a few numbers and Duty Cycles *should* be an exact science,

Fouriers Law of Heat Conduction will give the required figures so long as the sinks material and properties are known (along with airflow) add Newtons Law of Cooling (The rate of heat loss of a body is proportional to the temperature difference between the body and its surroundings.)
and you get a nice curve of temperature over time (assuming either Conduction,Convection or Radiation)

If the failure temperature of the diode is known it should be pretty easy to work out how long you can run and stay within the fail points (cold or hot) (It's a pretty simple first-order differential equation)

I don't remember the name of the person to reference but the quote goes something like " You cannot heat an object in still air and assume that heat will radiate into a parallel universe"

best wishes

Dave

If you really wanted to get that into it, then you could simply monitor the temperature of the diode, measure how long it takes to exceed the temperature that you deem "safe", then measure how long it takes for the temperature to fall back to either room temperature or your desired "cool" temperature. Much simpler and with no math!

Just because something *should* be, doesn't always mean that other people are *willing* to make it be. And for them, this thread exists :D. I do appreciate (and I'm sure a few others as well) your post though, lots of good information.

IsaacT

Now THAT is some forward thinking!!! I think I saw a DMM at Harbor Freight Tools that had a Temperature Probe attachment....maybe that could be useful. I keep thinking about getting it but for some reason always change my mind.

+rep for a no-math solution!
Also +rep for the math solution above him.

If you really wanted to get that into it, then you could simply monitor the temperature of the diode, measure how long it takes to exceed the temperature that you deem "safe", then measure how long it takes for the temperature to fall back to either room temperature or your desired "cool" temperature. Much simpler and with no math!

Just because something *should* be, doesn't always mean that other people are *willing* to make it be. And for them, this thread exists :D. I do appreciate (and I'm sure a few others as well) your post though, lots of good information.

Now THAT is some forward thinking!!! I think I saw a DMM at Harbor Freight Tools that had a Temperature Probe attachment....maybe that could be useful. I keep thinking about getting it but for some reason always change my mind.

+rep for a no-math solution!
Also +rep for the math solution above him.

DMMs with temp probes are good, but if you want something more reliable and something you're more likely to use to good effect later on (read: make an investment), then I suggest a laser-thermometer like this one here. Not really that one specifically, but that should give you a good idea :D. It not only uses the lasers that we all know and love, but it is also good for checking the temperature of thinks without having to put your hand near it (which is sometimes a good thing when you don't want your hand to get hit by a laser/don't want to interrupt a lasers beam)!

On a side note: OHMAHGAWSH A +1. I feel like I'm becoming a respectable member of the LPF communitiy... I'm so proud of myself ;-;.
tumblr_lm2xlvDlDo1qf1qyq.gif

no, I'm not a black chick

That depends on ambient temperature, airflow, and whether you hold it or not.

It will take about an hour to fall back to room temperature, since it only has room temperature to cool it. An arbitrary "cool" number makes the whole thing arbitrary again.