Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

"Pulse gun" laser- what is it?

Saw this video:

Real Homemade Pulse Gun - DoubleViking Video
(scroll down, wait for the ad to pass)

Now I highly doubt it's a Megawatt (sure! haha), but it seems to work with a single short pulse, unlike our pointers (though a flashed pointer would pop a balloon just fine).

What laser do you think this guy's running in that thing?

-Dave

I love how people stumble upon AnselmoFanZero's stuff through another site and think that after months upon months we wouldn't have heard about it on the largest laser & laser pointer forum on the internet...Let alone being able to put "pulse gun" into the LPF search and find the thread instantly.

People amaze me. Truly they do.

I did do a search for pulse gun, and nothing came up..

Maybe shoulda used quotes..

-Dave

DrSid

It's called SSY-1. It's solid state pulse laser from Abrams tank, where it acted as range-finder.
The pulse would not usually reach 1 Megawatt, it's also pretty hard to measure it. As the pulse is very short, the power is in range of tens of kilowatts, sometimes even hundreds. Most people I heard still doubt it could reach 1 meg. Anyway it's rather pointless to specify peak power for lasers like this. That's why we measure power pulse in joules.

Last edited:
Old-NewsRocks.jpg

I did do a search for pulse gun, and nothing came up..

Maybe shoulda used quotes..

-Dave

I just did the LPF custom google search with pulse gun (no quotes)...

"1 Mega Watt Pulse Laser Gun in High Speed - Laser Pointer Forums ..." very first link man.