Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PSA: Cool down your 589s and check for extra lines!

Sta

Hello folks!

In the past few months, myself and a few other users discovered some strange properties of DPSS lasers, particularly 589nm and 532nm units.

When cooled down, certain DPSS lasers display anomalous behavior, including multiline activity and main-line shifting.
This is believed to be caused by defective mirror coatings.

It is possible that there was a 'bad batch' of DL Spartan 589s created recently. I have one of them... and by 'bad batch', I mean 'awesome because they emit 583.8nm when cold.'
So if you purchased a DL Spartan 589 recently, please try cooling it down on an AC vent, in a freezer (BRIEFLY), or outside in the cold.
Then check using a diffraction grating for any extra colors or color changes!

You can do this same procedure with a 532, or any other DPSS wavelength!

:)

Last edited:

diachi

Re: PSA: Cool down your DPSS lasers and check for extra lines!

your youtube channel is shit, i will kill you and your entire family with a bomb
i know where you live you motherfucker

You should be reported to the authorities for making terrorist threats.

Last edited:

Sta

You should be reported to authorities for making terrorist threats.

Waste of time. This idiot is just looking for attention, and should be banned at once.

diachi

Waste of time. This idiot is just looking for attention, and should be banned at once.

Oh yeah, total waste of time. But imagine, on the off chance, they get locked up? I'd get a good chuckle out of that.

Sta

your laser videos are shit starmute
go play cs go on your youtube
or i will send you a bomb and kill your family

Fantastic, we have a motive. It's one of my viewers. Fun.

I like to chill the Spartan in the fridge. Ill get some diffraction grating and play around with it.

:wtf: !!!

Sta

I like to chill the Spartan in the fridge. Ill get some diffraction grating and play around with it.

Great! You might get a pleasant surprise with a sudden shift, tell us your results! :D

Well I guess its time for a little cool down for my Spartan :D Lemme find my grating and see what happens:)

Edit: Well I tried it until the spartan was cool to the touch and when it was shining through the grating I couldn't detect any change in color with my eyes. Some of the dots created a little 3dot pattern though. It looked like this:

- - -

Not sure if that means anything though.

Last edited:

Sta

Well I guess its time for a little cool down for my Spartan :D Lemme find my grating and see what happens:)

Edit: Well I tried it until the spartan was cool to the touch and when it was shining through the grating I couldn't detect any change in color with my eyes. Some of the dots created a little 3dot pattern though. It looked like this:

- - -

Not sure if that means anything though.
Excellent excellent. Do you see any difference in color - even slight - throughout those 3 dots? Do 2 of them fade out or snap out at some point?

You got some revenge Sta. Banned him with reason: "piss off" :)

-Alex

Sta

You got some revenge Sta. Banned him with reason: "piss off" :)

-Alex

Thanks alex. The moron deserved it.

Excellent excellent. Do you see any difference in color - even slight - throughout those 3 dots? Do 2 of them fade out or snap out at some point?

Yeah the center one stays there but the right one dims to almost unseeable and the left one dims as well but not to the degree of the right one. The left one is certainly less bright than the center though.

No idea what any of this means :crackup:

Last edited:

Sta

Yeah the center one stays there but the right one dims to almost unseeable and the left one dims as well but not to the degree of the right one. The left one is certainly less bright than the center though.

No idea what any of this means :crackup:

Fascinating!!! Can you post a picture? Does the left one ever fade out completely? Looks like you might have a 586/589/591 situation here. It's a multiline unit for sure. :drool:

Fascinating!!! Can you post a picture? Does the left one ever fade out completely? Looks like you might have a 586/589/591 situation here. It's a multiline unit for sure. :drool:

The best camera I have is my iphone but I'll give it a shot :crackup: