Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PSA: Cool down your 589s and check for extra lines!

Sta

I wish I had one of the 'freak' spartans. Mine seems quite tame, and if it's cold it basically just loses a ton of output power.

It must be one of the older units. Do you ever get any extra lines (even 532)?

Sta

Sta, how cold do you mean?

Depends on your situation!
My Spartan, for example, emits 583.8nm from an ordinary cold start (~67°F)!
But most will have to be actively cooled to achieve multiline behavior.
I'd start by putting it in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes until it's cold to the touch.
I don't know the exact temperature, but DON'T cool it for more than 5-10 minutes, as it could go below the dew point, which would cause moisture to condense on the lens. This won't kill your laser, but it's not healthy for it.

Last edited:
Yeah usually just lightly cooled. Mine will usually do it if it's just below room temperature. Mine will often do it from a cold start just briefly.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Brilliant thread Sta. +rep I bought mine well over a year ago but I will have to give this a go. :beer:

Slight off topic. What is the optimum input voltage for the Spartan? Mine seems to run much better on a cell drained to about 3.5v. I looked around for a different battery option and came across the size A 2/3 nimh battery. 1.2v x 2 would this be to low?

2.7-4V usually is most typical for most cni lasers...but it depends on how it was configured at the factory. These consume only a couple amps of current so they can tolerate a bit higher voltage.

I got a 50mW Spartan a few months ago. I let it cool down outside, but it does not emit any extra lines. Just 589nm and the regular modehopping occurs.

Got my spartan in today and I am getting 4 or 5 lines when chilled. Was trying to get pics and saw a second >589 pop in for less than a second and one that stays pretty well above 589 as well as two that stay <589 while chilled.

0214171457b1_zpsb7bvgktf.jpg

The bottoms 2 lines below 589 stay while pretty cold the top line is in an out but stays for ~15 seconds and one more popped in above it momentarily.

Last edited:

Sta

Got my spartan in today and I am getting 4 or 5 lines when chilled. Was trying to get pics and saw a second >589 pop in for less than a second and one that stays pretty well above 589 as well as two that stay <589 while chilled.

Impressive! Does the main line ever shift, or is 589 always the primary emission?

Just added a picture. Chilling it again now to try to get video.
I have to adjust the settings on my phone camera to avoid it washing out but that very bottom line was pretty bright.

Last edited:

Sta

Just added a picture. Chilling it again now to try to get video.
I have to adjust the settings on my phone camera to avoid it washing out but that very bottom line was pretty bright.

Interesting! Seems like you've got 583.8-586.2-589-591-593.5, all of the usual culprits. :D

Nice. That picture is about the best I got. My phone sucks for video. Although at one point on this run, the 583.8 line was almost as bright as the 589 line.
Also to note is this is a newer spartan. Sadly not way overspec like some of the old ones were, but still capable of multi-line operation.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Congrats CynicalBrad. If only I could invest in a newer spartan. Then I'll have a higher power single line and hopefully a multi line. Enjoy! :beer:

Congrats CynicalBrad. If only I could invest in a newer spartan. Then I'll have a higher power single line and hopefully a multi line. Enjoy! :beer:

I plan to. I will have to recharge my batteries and re-meter/line check it too though. noticed that it seems brighter with a fresher battery than the one I played with already before I got my meter and grating out.

Hmm I'll have to try this with my 589. It mode hops like crazy when I first turn it on. Well see what chilling does.