Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Proposal: Banned Members Information Thread

Would you like to see a Banned Members Thread?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
@TJ - My signature will revert back after monday.

I understand that, just saying its a little too much.

I've talked with your friends and they all agree you're getting wrapped up to much in forum politics. We've all been in it to at times. Sometimes its really not that important to be right. Its not worth the effort, and many times it makes you look dumb. Believe me, I has lots of past experience with the same thing so I'm not talking out my arss. Just let it go man, and get back to having fun. Thats what we are all to do. Life to too short to be getting steamed over how a forum is run.

@TJ - Font size reduced. The size was a bit too much.

This isn't about me, you, or much as I'm sure he'd like to think daguin. At least not directly.

The idea has been tossed around before. It keeps coming up. Why not put it to a poll?

I mean things do change over the years. Last time the subject was discussed was 2010.

It would also eliminate having threads open about the subject.

I have no problem with a poll. But reading what you've said in the Vets section, and here, it seems this is not your only motivation for wanting a thread like this. I'm not going to nit pick over it because its a waste of time. All I'm saying is dont sweat the politics. Social structures, and hierarchies are present in all cultures, and social situations. Every job you work at has them, every group you belong to has them. As individuals we can only suggest changes, we can not demand them. Its a waste of time and energy to think we can, even if our opinions may be correct.

This is suppose to be a hobby. Hobbies are fun. Why let some drama, or politics ruin it? It makes no sense. I tell this to people all the time who balk at my personality.Just ignore it. Its the best advice anyone can give. If you cant ignore it then move on, because why be in a place where you are not having fun anymore? Shouting and stamping your feet around has never got anyone anywhere. Its a lost cause.

What I said in the vet's section basically boils down to me also wanting to see a record.

Obviously that record wouldn't be retroactive.

So even if there were some past issues, they are of no concern.

There is no foot stomping here. If anything, a polite push for a bit of progress.

I'm off for the weekend. Have a good weekend everyone :beer:

Last edited:
I mean look, you just complained about people with one post posting in b/s/t. Now there are new rules in place, and everyone is happy. Why not try to make other improvements?

1. Noticed how I delivered that proposal? There was no demands, or any kind of drama.
2. That proposal was like the 10th I proposed since I've been here. Most of which never went anywhere, and I never lost sleep over it.

Your proposal is fine. How you handled the delivery bordered hissy fit. For some reason you are only hearing what you want, and tuning out the rest. And you were stomping your feet. You do that a lot when you think you're not getting your way. I'm not making that up. You do it all the time.

Anywhoo, I gave you good advice. If you do, or do not take its up to you. I'm done. Good luck.

Last edited:
@Jerry - You proposed a whole section for it, not a thread. What I'm proposing is a lot less. A strictly informational, locked thread, to create a record of events that everyone can see.

Semantics.....

That was 2 years ago... Do you really think a whole Forum
Section would be required to make one ban Thread...

I suppose I should have used the word Thread instead of
Section
to not confuse the ill informed...:cryyy:

After my suggestion of a ban thread and the subsequent
responses... I still think a Ban Thread would still churn
up extra Drama...

There is nothing to stop sympathetic banned member's
buddies from opening new Threads disagreeing with what
was posted on a locked Ban Thread...

The Ban drama would still be a real possibility... The Ban
Thread would not guarantee less Drama... I don't see any
progress with a ban Thread...

This isn't about me, you, or much as I'm sure he'd like to think daguin. At least not directly.

There you go again... and now in the general Forum...
You just cant drop it... just like BobH that got his a$$
handed to him permanently...:eek:
He was a very smart guy but just couldn't fit in and
thought that only HIS agenda mattered...

Jerry

Last edited:
My observation:
) Proposed Ban Thread -> Heated debate, harsh responses, basic drama
) Actual Ban Thread -> Spin Off threads, more heated debates, even harsher responses, enhanced drama, and repeated without end
) Then after a while - divisions, disinterest, and useless noise completely ruins the good thing we had going
) Then Finally - Game Over - We all Lose and No One Wins

Just my bloody 2 cents, and nothing more

Last edited:

mfo

So,

Since the majority of the members either want this, or want a variation of it, will this be implemented sometime in the future?

What if there was a short description within the avatar of the banned member with something almost like a computer error code such as: Banned for reason #3: Abusive to another member or reason #1: For not listening to Admins, followed by a date of return such as: Returning on 5/23/2012 etc.

That way it wouldn't require a sticky or a thread and admins could have it added within the avatar of the banned member so others can see the date of return if any and it wouldn't clutter the rest of the forum.

Just an idea but since I am new I respect whatever decision is chosen since I don't have the experience you guys have to know what works and what doesn't and what would be best to avoid more drama.

Last edited:
What if there was a short description within the avatar of the banned member with a computer like error code such as: Banned for reason #3: Abusive to another member or reason #1: For not listening to Admins, followed by a date of return such as: Returning on 5/23/2012 etc.

That way it wouldn't require a sticky or a thread it could just have it contained within the avatar of the banned member so others can see the date of return if any and it wouldn't clutter the rest of the forum.

Just an idea but since I am new I respect whatever decision is chosen since I don't have the experience to know what works and what doesn't and what would be best to avoid more drama.
I agree that would be better just to have it under their avatar than to waste space for a stickie.

So,

Since the majority of the members either want this, or want a variation of it, will this be implemented sometime in the future?

I doubt it. Wouldnt be the first time a winning poll was not implemented. The Mods would have to run it, so its up to then if they think its worth doing, or not.

I've been through this same scenario at least 6 times, and so have others. So its not personal if the Mods choose not to do the extra work just for a couple of bans. If we had bans all the time it may have been more feasible, but we dont. Anyone is free to ask a Mod about duration, so its not really a priority to maintain a whole thread about it. The thread would broadcast it to the entire forum, instead of just the people who want to know. And you know as much as I when you involve the whole forum opinions start flying. When opinions start flying, the drama show is right behind. Trust me, I'm an expert in this field. :beer:

Things

What if there was a short description within the avatar of the banned member

We have discussed this a few times, and it would probably require a software plugin. Avery has had bad experiences with plugins in the past so tries to avoid them.

We are discussing this now and a ban thread will probably happen, pending approval from Avery. It'll also lead to a few other minor changes that will hopefully cut down on some of the public drama, at least.

Dan

ElectroMag's idea is an option to provide the info without taking up a lot of space...sounds valid...need to think about it a bit more.
Either that idea or to just have some simple reference of the minimalist type stuck to the members profile page. So those interested can look it up on the profile page and it won't matter to all the others. (Those who don't have access to member's profile pages will just have to suffer.)
I like the idea of having the info of how long the ban is (and how long remains for that matter) avialable for those who want to know.
As for why, let them ask the parties involved in PM and keep the discussions off the public boards.
Answers a couple of questions and keeps the drama out of "site".

Status
Not open for further replies.