Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Proposal: Banned Members Information Thread

Would you like to see a Banned Members Thread?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
LPF is a large, growing, and diverse community.

Members continuously join, leave, and are on occasion banned.

The question of "What happened to member XYZ" often comes up.

The result is a thread usually pops up asking "What happened to XYS?"

Unfortunately the general forum membership does not have any way of knowing what happened when a member is banned.

The duration, and the reason for the ban are a mystery.

I would like to propose the the start, and maintenance of a simple, Drama free, Information Only, Closed Stickied Thread.

Criteria:

To reduce the burden the thread would only be for members with at least a three month tenure, and, or 100 posts. This would weed out, and eliminate the need to keep track of spammers, and blatant scammers.

Format:

Banned Members Thread

Current Date, Member Name, Ban End Date, Reason for ban, link to offending post or thread.

All of this information is available at a glance, and the reason for the ban, can be the same as given to the offender. Meaning nothing more than a simple copy/paste would be required.

It would be ideal if the existing mod team could maintain the thread.

If it cannot maybe a neutral member can be nominated to do so.

Please vote, and sound off below, about whether this would be beneficial to the forum.

Last edited:

daguin

Re: Proposal: Banned Members Thread

This has been discussed before
It didn't work out
It increases the drama in the forum

I have never failed to inform interested parties as to the conditions and duration of a ban when asked
I even help members make contact outside the forum when they have a deal going or are just interested in speaking to the banned member

Posting ALL of them would simply be a base for increasing drama and possibly expose the banned members to public embarrassment
Not everyone wants the whole forum to know what happened
Also, depending on the nature of the ban, the post(s) which triggered the ban may have been deleted for content problems (cussing, racism, pron, etc.)

In addition, the admin team is often in possession of knowledge that was not originally in open forum and should not be placed in open forum
That would leave the idea of this "informing" the membership lacking

Peace,
dave

Last edited:

Edit: Daguin posted before I finished mine - where my response is aligned with the same reasoning as he put to words, however unintentionally redundant as my post now appears.

With all due respect I will have to vote No, as I do not see any positive effect this would have. Rather it would only serve to further polarize the forum, as well as create yet another source for sustaining drama that is best left unheralded to die out amid anonymity.

Last edited:

If the ban for the reason occurred in private, you can easily just state as much.

The biggest problem is when people are banned, we also have no way of knowing how long the ban is for.

I've also seen how you inform people when asked - slowly, reluctantly, with minimal, and at times misleading information. Such as maybe pointing to the second post in a fight, instead of the first.

Pointing people to a thread or post, would allow them to see what happened for themselves.

A closed, stickied thread would only provide information.

It would also serve to eliminate drama by preventing threads from being opened about the banned member.

As for members being embarrased about a ban... boo hoo... to freaking bad. If you commit a crime it goes on your record. That's how it works EVERYWHER. Why not on LPF?

Basic information thread. It's not much work, it will work to decrease drama.

I guess maybe I just want some accountability to be present from the mod team to the membership too. Such a thread would provide some transparency to the black hole.

Edit: @Mac - That's why I made the poll:beer: daguin's position is clear, but it's nice to hear from other members.

Last edited:

I'll also publicly say I think this is a bad idea for the exact reasons Dave stated. An "information" thread would soon lead to debate. Debate easly becomes drama.

Edit: missed where you said closed. Sorry read your reply too quickly.

Last edited:

Lase

Posting ALL of them would simply be a base for increasing drama and possibly expose the banned members to public embarrassment

I agree with a thread such as the one proposed that it'd lead to more forum drama, but if said banned parties were worried about public embarrassment then they wouldn't post anything of the sort on a public forum.

My vote would be for a thread containing the names of banned parties listed by how long their ban is for (Permaban, Temp-ban, 3-day ban etc) but listing no reason why.

Lase

daguin

If the ban for the reason occurred in private, you can easily just state as much.

The biggest problem is when people are banned, we also have no way of knowing how long the ban is for.

I've also seen how you inform people when asked - slowly, reluctantly, with minimal, and at times misleading information. Such as maybe pointing to the second post in a fight, instead of the first.

Pointing people to a thread or post, would allow them to see what happened for themselves.

A closed, stickied thread would only provide information.

It would also serve to eliminate drama by preventing threads from being opened about the banned member.

As for members being embarrased about a ban... boo hoo... to freaking bad. If you commit a crime it goes on your record. That's how it works EVERYWHER. Why not on LPF?

Basic information thread. It's not much work, it will work to decrease drama.

I guess maybe I just want some accountability to be present from the mod team to the membership too. Such a thread would provide some transparency to the black hole.

Edit: @Mac - That's why I made the poll:beer: daguin's position is clear, but it's nice to hear from other members.

Can't you even let your own ban poll run without continuing to argue for it?

You stated your position.
I stated mine
Why come back with more?

We weren't even close to finishing this discussion in the veteran's board when you posted this

You appear to want to kick up the drama even in the midst of a discussion about how drama will be increased

Please take your arguing back to the veteran's board so the membership doesn't have to put up with it

Let the members express themselves without your egging them toward a particular decision

Peace,
dave

I'll also publicly say I think this is a bad idea for the exact reasons Dave stated. An "information" thread would soon lead to debate. Debate easly becomes drama.

Edit: missed where you said closed. Sorry read your reply too quickly.

Np... not sure you can change vote or not, but you can vote more than once.

I'll highlight the CLOSED part though, because that would be key to keeping things drama free.

I agree with a thread such as the one proposed that it'd lead to more forum drama, but if said banned parties were worried about public embarrassment then they wouldn't post anything of the sort on a public forum.

My vote would be for a thread containing the names of banned parties listed by how long their ban is for (Permaban, Temp-ban, 3-day ban etc) but listing no reason why.

Lase

That would be a nice middle ground giving people at least some information! Rather then leaving them to wonder.

I'll update the poll to include it, I think it's a good idea.

Can't you even let your own ban poll run without continuing to argue for it?

You stated your position.
I stated mine
Why come back with more?

We weren't even close to finishing this discussion in the veteran's board when you posted this

You appear to want to kick up the drama even in the midst of a discussion about how drama will be increased

Please take your arguing back to the veteran's board so the membership doesn't have to put up with it

Let the members express themselves without your egging them toward a particular decision

Peace,
dave

Have you considered that maybe, just maybe the membership can handle a mature discussion?

That all decisions do not need to be hidden behind an iron curtain, and justified by ambiguous greater good to them?

I opened the poll thread because you plainly ignored my question about the poll thread, and I want other people's opinions on the subject.

Since when is it not OK to clarify, and campaign for one's position though? You do so all the time by throwing around your weight with cryptic references to what has, or hasn't been. The last thread was in 2010. It's now 2012. You're a mod, and the membership has changed. Aren't you always telling people to adapt to the environment? Maybe it's time to adapt? Maybe it's time to see if minor changes are needed.

Change is inevitable.

I also plainly don't understand why everything with you comes back to drama and peace! Some drama is part of life, and what makes life interesting. So long as we stay civil in the drama, what's the problem?

Last edited:

daguin

Np... not sure you can change vote or not, but you can vote more than once.

I'll highlight the CLOSED part though, because that would be key to keeping things drama free.

That would be a nice middle ground giving people at least some information! Rather then leaving them to wonder.

I'll update the poll to include it, I think it's a good idea.

Have you considered that maybe, just maybe the membership can handle a mature discussion?

That all decisions do not need to be hidden behind an iron curtain, and justified by ambiguous greater good to them?

I opened the poll thread because you plainly ignored my question about the poll thread, and I want other people's opinions on the subject.

Since when is it not OK to clarify, and campaign for one's position though? You do so all the time by throwing around your weight with cryptic references to what has, or hasn't been. The last thread was in 2010. It's now 2012. You're a mod, and the membership has changed. Aren't you always telling people to adapt to the environment? Maybe it's time to adapt?

LOL!

Have a great time

I think I'll just let you hang yourself here

Peace,
dave

LOL!

Have a great time

I think I'll just let you hang yourself here

Peace,
dave

Well. Thanks for your input as always, such as it is.

Unfortunately it seems regular members can't edit the poll :(

I wanted to add another option...

Only list member name and ban end date or duration.

Edit: Thank you for updating poll.

Last edited:

ped

I voted NO , I wish I could vote DONT CARE as well.

There's enough drama queens in the real world without having another one here (you) .

Here's your rope.

EDIT, next to the poll options, the following picture should be displayed, just to give people a heads up.

drama-queen.jpg

Last edited:
That seemed a little bit harsh... No?
I voted NO , I wish I could vote DONT CARE as well.

There's enough drama queens in the real world without having another one here (you) .

Here's your rope.

EDIT, next to the poll options, the following picture should be displayed, just to give people a heads up.

drama-queen.jpg

Almost two years ago I opened a thread asking the same
questions on opening a Thread just for that... with the same
locked conditions....

http://laserpointerforums.com/f59/banned-member-section-52113.html

The idea was tossed around for 3 pages of posts and the
consensus was that it was a bad idea that would just cause
more drama on the Forum and more work for the Mods.

I agreed with that logic then and I still agree with it now...
hence my Vote choice...

Since that time the Mods have stated why a member was
banned and for how long just for the asking as was the case
with you and Yob that caused you to open this Poll...

Jerry

Last edited:
There is already drama brewing between the thread in the Vets section, and here. We already tried this, as others keep saying, and it didnt work. I dont understand the need to keep grinding on about it. Yes some of the membership is new, but people are still people. This idea will fail just like the one in the past because it will cause more drama in the end.

IE you need to back off of forum politics, and stop worrying how the forum is run. Its obvious effecting your better judgment, and some of the main reasons you are not having a good time. Which is evident by that huge sig. Was it really necessary to wipe all the info in your old signature and replace it with a billboard for a simple poll? It doesnt add anything to your augment, it just makes you look like a drama queen. Just enjoy the forum for what it is, like everyone else here.

Last edited:
Reactions: ped
@Ped - Wow... harsh man... harsh.

You realize you're actually looking for drama with you post right?

You can focus on the drama if you want to, it's an open forum after all. That's not my goal here though. :undecided:

@Jerry - You proposed a whole section for it, not a thread. What I'm proposing is a lot less. A strictly informational, locked thread, to create a record of events that everyone can see.

@TJ - My signature will revert back after monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.