Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Problem with my first Blue Ray

Hi

i only have some low reds and an 30mw green (Romisen L-030)
well.. i seen so much cool pics and videos about this violet ones so i wanted to make one by myself ;)

So i bought this "all inclusive" pack on ebay
150mW 405nm Blue-Violet "blu-ray" Laser Diode in Module

I got this pack today and have soldered everything correctly together but it dont want to work
I power it with an 12V DC power supply (0,8A) at the moment but nothings happen, i also turned at the pod but nothings changed :/

I really hope the diode is not dead or something, i mean i dont seen something like an bight flash but.. not sure what's wrong :/

Pic 1 - Driver + Diode
Pic 2 - Driver top view
Pic 3 - Driver

I also put and LED on the output from the driver, ok it glows but should it not be a little too much Volts for the LED and is it normal that nothings change if i turn the pot?

~Tom

since it does not work the Laser Diode (LD) is probably dead. you need test the driver every time before you connect an LD to it. you also need to short out the capacitor or when you hook up the LD the cap charge will probably kill the LD right away. also your POT not "POD", could kill it. it could have been turned all the way up and that will kill the LD. good luck in the future.

one more thing. search the forums. you will find way better deals.

Thanks for your answer chipdouglas

Yes i read something about the capacitor in the manual but i am sure this was not the problem
Could it be the POT? The manual said that i have to turn it 25 times to right but maybe this was to much
I know this kind of POTs and i also know that you can brake them easy like this way
as i said, it changes nothing on the LED if i turn on the POT :/

Hm.. is there maybe an easy way to test laser diodes?

Did you do any testing before connecting the LD to the driver? It looks like it has a 1ohm test resistor built in that you connect a multimeter onto.

The driver appears to have no fixed resistor in series with the pot to stop you winding it up to, in your case, 800ma.
Sad to say you have learnt lesson one when building lasers, always set your driver with a test load before you attach the laser diode.
Better luck next time.

Regards rog8811

mfo

Well, I also bought that same exact kit a few months ago. Turns out that 25 turn thing is BS, and I fried my diode. Anyhow, don't do what I didn't do. Test the driver, discharge the capacitors in the future by shorting them out for future reference. As for the current diode, make sure you double check the schematic, as I really don't know what to tell you. Sorry I could not be of more help.

mfo

Am I right that there is no fixed resistor in series with the pot?

Regards rog8811

I know it came with a 1 ohm resister. Can't remember if it was in series. I imagine it would have been though. Look at the diagram he sent you.

i think i see the problem.. on the picture with the bottom view.. it looks like you only have 1 of the pots pins soldered to each.. you need to solder the 3rd pin to 1 of the others

I also just received this kit yesterday and had it assembled and functioning within 20 minutes. Did you make sure that before connecting the laser diode you put the LED on the driver and set the current with the LED running? The LED brightness will not appear to change. If you didn't that is your problem. My potentiometer take almost an entire turn to rise 1mA. You need to measure the current across the 1 ohm resistor.

This was my very first laser build but I've taken courses in digital electronics so I had an understanding of how these things work. I now have this laser mounted in an altoids box and am having tons of fun burning.:D